Are you big leafing and defoliating during veg?

• Thread starter Siz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Siz

Siz

If so how often? I topped my plants twice and have not deleafed anything. Last time I did a lot of clearing and my plants stretched quite a bit. Trying to grow horizontally and avoid tall plants. Building a trellis frame and going to put it on after I transplant into their final 5 gal pots.

Thoughts?

Anyone grow 6 plants in a 4x8?

Are you big leafing and defoliating during veg 2
Are you big leafing and defoliating during veg

Bilber

Bilber

If so how often? I topped my plants twice and have not deleafed anything. Last time I did a lot of clearing and my plants stretched quite a bit. Trying to grow horizontally and avoid tall plants. Building a trellis frame and going to put it on after I transplant into their final 5 gal pots.

Thoughts?

Anyone grow 6 plants in a 4x8?

View attachment 2100971View attachment 2100970
What........

Only six.....

Just kidding.....

Keeping them trained by tying the branches down does the trick.......

There is no right or wrong answer to your question......in all honesty.....

But training keeps them low.....

Siz

Siz

What........

Only six.....

Just kidding.....

Keeping them trained by tying the branches down does the trick.......

There is no right or wrong answer to your question......in all honesty.....

But training keeps them low.....

I was going to narrow down to 3 for larger plants/bigger buds but getting impatient so gona run all 6.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I remove a few leaves or branches every day while they're growing rapidly during vegetation. I also do some defoliation during flowering. I doubt I'd do it that way if I were growing many plants, though. I like to give my plants a lot of individual attention.

Dadman86

Dadman86

I remove a few leaves or branches every day while they're growing rapidly during vegetation. I also do some defoliation during flowering. I doubt I'd do it that way if I were growing many plants, though. I like to give my plants a lot of individual attention.
How do I go about this. I want to get some of the leaves that don't produce out of the way of the ones that do. Do you cut off whole stalk or just remove the leaves. I'm super new to this and this is the farthest I've gotten so far.

Bilber

Bilber

How do I go about this. I want to get some of the leaves that don't produce out of the way of the ones that do. Do you cut off whole stalk or just remove the leaves. I'm super new to this and this is the farthest I've gotten so far.
Tie down each stem individually.......

Unless your going for height......

In veg, these plants are resilient......but remember, to much stress, during veg or flower, can induce shock, which in turn, could promote herming......

Nice and easy....

H

hilbert

I am planning on 8 plants in a 4x8 space so 6 is totally doable. And you should have nice big buds. I use 5 gallon pots and get nice onces.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Practice and learning by doing is probably not the answer you wanted. I think it starts by deciding how you want the plant to grow. It's basically pruning. The plant will grow where you don't cut it, so think of this as shaping the plant.

I use low-stress training (LST) methods, which, as others have said, is to tie down the lower branches to make the plant grow wider. Those branches will form new stems and colas. Topping the plant also stimulates new growth at the branches.

When I remove leaves and branches, one of my goals is to open the middle of the plant to improve air flow. Removing lower leaves and branches (lollipopping) does the same thing. Lower growth doesn't get much light, so it doesn't develop useful buds. I usually don't remove fan leaves from the outside because they're not blocking light or air flow and are still producing sugars needed by the plant.

Dadman86

Dadman86

Practice and learning by doing is probably not the answer you wanted. I think it starts by deciding how you want the plant to grow. It's basically pruning. The plant will grow where you don't cut it, so think of this as shaping the plant.

I use low-stress training (LST) methods, which, as others have said, is to tie down the lower branches to make the plant grow wider. Those branches will form new stems and colas. Topping the plant also stimulates new growth at the branches.

When I remove leaves and branches, one of my goals is to open the middle of the plant to improve air flow. Removing lower leaves and branches (lollipopping) does the same thing. Lower growth doesn't get much light, so it doesn't develop useful buds. I usually don't remove fan leaves from the outside because they're not blocking light or air flow and are still producing sugars needed by the plant.
Thanks I'm gonna tie down some of my bud producing arms. Those big fan leaves is what I wanted to chop. There getting in the way of the 3rd arms growing up. I knew the leaves catch the light and help growth. I'm glad I didn't rush into this one.

Bilber

Bilber

Thanks I'm gonna tie down some of my bud producing arms. Those big fan leaves is what I wanted to chop. There getting in the way of the 3rd arms growing up. I knew the leaves catch the light and help growth. I'm glad I didn't rush into this one.
During veg, it's not AS important to keep leaves on.....

Always give plants a few days to recover before doing it again......

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Yes. Remove fan leaves that shade buds. Sometimes, just the center leaflet can be removed.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Always give plants a few days to recover before doing it again......
Ah, yes. That's important. Keep in mind that defoliating is doing harm to the plant, thus introducing stress. That can be a good thing. It's commonly done with fruit trees to make them produce better fruit. The same is true of cannabis. Be careful not to remove more than about a third of the plant at one time, though.

Top Bottom