• Thread starter redog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redog

The New York Times
By ALEXEI BARRIONUEVO
Published: August 25, 2009

Argentina’s Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday that it was unconstitutional to punish an adult for possessing and consuming marijuana if it did not endanger others. In a unanimous ruling, the court struck down criminal penalties for using drugs “in private.” The court said public officials needed to fight illegal trafficking of narcotics while adopting methods to treat drug use as a health issue.

B

blueleaf

yaii i too heard about it !!
can someone tell me, did it happen gradually ?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Another reason to go back to BA...love that place..

Tex

BC_Bud

BC_Bud

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey redog, I hope you don't mid me adding this info about Brazil here in your thread :)

It's been the same here in Brazil since the new drug law was enacted back in Nov. 2006. And it's been happening in many other South American countries over the last few years. Things are definitely changing!!! The thing is, you get cought, you still waste time, money and resources to get away from doing jail timeif you are growing. You still have to prove that you were not dealing. Nothing that a good lawyer - situation permitting - wont be able to accomplish in a day or two. Now the government want to make it legal for people to grow for their own use, by enacting a new law.

In the past few months the subject been intensively discussed in meetings and conferences with the prsence of important national and international figures, and has gained a lot of attention from the local media, having gained hystorical support from the country's bigegst TV network, as well as the Attorney General, the President of the Federal Supreme Court, and many other opinion-makers.

The Federal Government now apparently wants to legalize cultivation of personal use by adults. This came straignth from some of the government's representatives at the 1st meeting of the Brazilian Comission on Drugs and Democracy. I watched some of them speaking at this meeting and the legalization side definitely won over the prohibitionists. Lots of imortant people speaking favorably for a change.

Althrough Brazil is having presidential elections in 2010, both the current government and the main contender for the next election (of the same political party of one of our main supporters, former president Fernando Henrique Cardoso) are pushing for this change.

Top Bottom