Arizona Medical Marijuana

• Thread starter Wretched
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Wretched

Dear friends:

Fresh off our winning ballot initiative campaigns in Michigan and Massachusetts, the Marijuana Policy Project has just launched a campaign to pass a statewide medical marijuana ballot initiative campaign in Arizona.

If passed in November 2010, the initiative would protect Arizona patients from arrest and jail for using marijuana with their doctors' recommendation. This would make Arizona the 14th medical marijuana state (or possibly the 15th, 16th, or even 17th, depending on what successes we have between now and then).

We're feeling good about this campaign because in November we passed a similar initiative in Michigan with a whopping 63% of the vote — and we know we can do it again in Arizona.

But the first thing we need to do is get the initiative placed on the ballot. To do that, we must collect 153,365 valid signatures from Arizona voters, which means we need to collect about 250,000 gross signatures. We know from our past successful signature drives, like in Michigan, that it costs about $2 to collect every signature (because of the costs of paying canvassers, checking validity, and so forth), which means it will take $500,000 to fund this stage of the campaign.

Want to be part of this exciting campaign and help protect another state's medical marijuana patients from arrest and jail? Please donate what you can here.

As you can see at the bottom of this message, a major philanthropist is willing to match your donation dollar-for-dollar, so we only need you and other MPP members to donate a total of $250,000. Arizona patients and I are grateful for anything you can do to help.

Sincerely,
Kampia signature (e-mail sized)

Rob Kampia
Executive Director
Marijuana Policy Project
Washington, D.C.

P.S. As I've mentioned in previous alerts, a major philanthropist has committed to match the first $2.35 million that MPP c

W

Wretched

65% of Arizona voters support removing criminal penalties for the medical use of marijuana, according to a February 2009 poll. And voters have already passed medical marijuana initiatives twice in the state, in 1996 and 1998. Unfortunately, due to a technical error in the wording of these laws, they have failed to effectively protect medical marijuana patients from arrest. The initiative that will go before voters in 2010 will close this loophole and give patients the protection and peace of mind that Arizonans agree they deserve.

Right now, Arizona patients battling cancer, AIDS, and other life-threatening diseases face prison for trying to relieve their pain. By passing this initiative, we can stop this cruel and unnecessary policy.
What would Arizona’s medical marijuana initiative do?

* Allow terminally and seriously ill patients who find relief from marijuana to use it with their doctors’ approval.
* Protect these seriously ill patients from arrest and prosecution for the simple act of taking their doctor-recommended medicine.
* Permit qualifying patients or their caregivers to legally purchase their medicine from tightly regulated clinics, as they would any other medicine -- so they need not purchase it from the criminal market.
* Permit qualifying patients or their caregivers to cultivate their own marijuana for medical use if a regulated medical marijuana clinic is not located within 25 miles of the qualifying patient.
* Create registry identification cards, so that law enforcement officials could easily tell who was a registered patient, and establish penalties for false statements and fraudulent ID cards.
* Allow patients and their caregivers who are arrested to discuss their medical use in court.
* Keep commonsense restrictions on the medical use of marijuana, including prohibitions on public use of marijuana and driving under the influence of marijuana.

Read the full text of the initiative.

W

Wretched

The Arizona Medical Marijuana Policy Project (AMMPP) is a grassroots organization devoted to passing a medical marijuana initiative in Arizona in November 2010. Currently, seriously ill people who use marijuana under the advice of their doctor to treat illnesses such as cancer, AIDS and multiple sclerosis are subject to arrest and imprisonment. Simply for trying to stimulate their appetite or alleviate their pain.
We can change this. On November 2, 2010, Arizona voters could have a chance to vote to protect Arizona’s medical marijuana patients from arrest and jail. But the voters will not have that chance unless we collect more than 150,000 valid signatures to get the initiative on the ballot. We will be launching a signature drive within the next few weeks to accomplish this goal, and we will need your help.
Please volunteer, sign up to collect signatures, or donate today. And please check back with us often for updates about the launch of the signature drive and to see what other things we're working on.

J

Josey_Wales

It's about damn time..!,
I have property in AZ that I am waiting to build my dream Ranch on. I'm stuck here freezing my ass off all Winter in WA State when I could be relaxing in the sun because some moron in AZ couldn't proof read legislation to close a damn loop-hole..! Quit re-writing everything and simply copy word for word the legislation that has been passed in Cali...including the legal operation of dispensaries...do it all at once and GET IT DONE..!
Who's in charge of the AMMPP and where are you..? I've written to several people at AZ NORML to inquire how I can help and haven't received any reply. Hopefully you guys will be on the ball.

Let me know how I can help,

Krist

The Arizona Medical Marijuana Policy Project (AMMPP) is a grassroots organization devoted to passing a medical marijuana initiative in Arizona in November 2010. Currently, seriously ill people who use marijuana under the advice of their doctor to treat illnesses such as cancer, AIDS and multiple sclerosis are subject to arrest and imprisonment. Simply for trying to stimulate their appetite or alleviate their pain.
We can change this. On November 2, 2010, Arizona voters could have a chance to vote to protect Arizona’s medical marijuana patients from arrest and jail. But the voters will not have that chance unless we collect more than 150,000 valid signatures to get the initiative on the ballot. We will be launching a signature drive within the next few weeks to accomplish this goal, and we will need your help.
Please volunteer, sign up to collect signatures, or donate today. And please check back with us often for updates about the launch of the signature drive and to see what other things we're working on.

E

Easyrasta

All we need here is a "one word" campaign
An initiative was already passed, but the boneheads drafting the wording put in prescribe instead of recommend.
It would be easier to get the feds to allow prescriptions of marijuana and nothing would need to be done in Az.
Peace
Ez

Top Bottom