Army Blankets as fabric for DIY smart pots?

• Thread starter HypnoToad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HypnoToad

What do you guys think about using army blankets and sewing them to make diy smart pots? They're 70% wool, would that matter? I was thinking about trying it.

Any input is always greatly appreciated.

Peace,
HT

H

HypnoToad

Thanks guys,

I think I'll give it a try. My brother is a marine, and I should be able to get a few from him.

Peace,
HT

P

PRODUCT

lol.. i need to buy 300 bucks worth of smart pots... they are about 70% wool? good idea... i can get my mom to sew them

what are smart pots made out of? once i know I'll go grab the material and put my momma to work

J

jaybird

army blankets

wool blankets should hold pretty good....should retain water as well....i might have to head down to DRMO to purchase some blankets and give it a shot...smart pots...getting smarter
aloha..be safe...Gro-ON
jaybird

B

Boots Sugarleaf

anyone trying to make homemade ones, especially big ones, they will have to reinforced with chicken wire on the outside...if not you will watch them lose their shape and fall apart after you fill them up.....I saw a few different home made ones this year and the best ones I saw were doubled up burlap wrapped with chicken wire on the outside to secure shape, and even these were a little misshapen come late september

gisisi

gisisi

The blankets will probably work better, because wool can insulate while wet, and wicks.

BUT wool will break down with all that moisture.
I have thrown old wool socks in my compost, never to be seen again.

They might also smell like a wet dog.

gisisi

yezmar420

yezmar420

I'm currently using the smart pots and I think they are great..they are put together rather well.

I just pulled a couple plants that looked done and when I went to empty the medium I couldn't believe the amount of roots in there, the 3 gallon pot came out in one piece! Much better than using grow bags...they are re-usable, just dust off the excess medium then wash them with oxy clean, then plain water.

Just remember you get what you pay for...why go through the hassle to ghetto rig something when you can just buy it, it'll pay off in the end.

yezmar420

yezmar420

lol.. i need to buy 300 bucks worth of smart pots... they are about 70% wool? good idea... i can get my mom to sew them

what are smart pots made out of? once i know I'll go grab the material and put my momma to work

Here is what the manufacturer told me...

"The fabric is a geo textile that we have specially made to our specs."

Seems kinda vague, but it works.:character0180:

S

Stargazer

Probably something along these lines. China. #1 exporter of polypropylene.

Just search for non woven felt...

They probably have the company weave it to a certain width, as per order options, and also have a neutral color...

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Not worth the effort IMHO. Too much manual labor to save what ... $5? They're working out fine for me. One benefit is that the felt is "stiff". It stands up on it's own and will hold it's form when you pick up the plan/pot by pinching the top edge of the pot from the top. Hopefully that makes sense.

jaybodankly

jaybodankly

I think in the fall when you try and pick them up you wont be happy.

Major CBD

Major CBD

I think in the fall when you try and pick them up you wont be happy.
I don't know brother. Maybe it's a good alternative. Maybe he could find the material and make them himself. Might save a few bucks in exchange for labor. I just wouldn't go very big. 7-10 gallons max.

frebo

frebo

I don't know brother. Maybe it's a good alternative. Maybe he could find the material and make them himself. Might save a few bucks in exchange for labor. I just wouldn't go very big. 7-10 gallons max.

We have made our own "Smart" type pots for years. We have used hog wire and line it with road fabric. Our 400 gallon(approx) netted 5-6 lbs a plant. I bought some 100 gallon smart pots for $20 each(really not that expensive) and netted 1-1/2 to 2 lbs per plant. The bigger the pot.......

Major CBD

Major CBD

We have made Iour own "Smart" type pots for years. We have used hog wire and line it with road fabric. Our 400 gallon(approx) netted 5-6 lbs a plant. I bought some 100 gallon smart pots for $20 each(really not that expensive) and netted 1-1/2 to 2 lbs per plant. The bigger the pot.......

We would love to see pictures!

Top Bottom