Asked 3 sites got 3 different answers

• Thread starter Rdub
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rdub

Rdub

Did you figure out why one of your autopots wasn't wicking water in through the hydroton you used to cover the bottoms of the pots?
https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/calling-all-autopot-users.105463/#post-2276583
I spoke with someone from autopot. We determined that the pot may just have a bit to much Hydroton in the bottom. He instructed me to remove the tops on the float inside the aquavalve and add weights . I added 3 pennies in each side. This causes the water to rise higher. If you do add weights don’t add more than 3 pennies into each side of the float. I’m in the brink of an overflow. Seems to be drinking again

Rdub

Rdub

I believe Rdub, is using the air domes in the bottom of each autopot as there is an air pump inside the tent. I bet it's running hot also as mine was before I extended the air lines and used my own air pump outside of my tent.

I am running airdomes inside each pot as bloodshot mentioned. Blood do you recommend putting in some connectors and bringing that pump outside the tent it is about 6 degrees cooler

Rdub

Rdub

A little late to the party, but I concur. The pics show symptoms of overwatering and overfeeding. The overwatering symptoms really mean inadequate oxygen, yes, oxygen to the roots. I am not familiar with the autopot system, but I will conjecture that the roots are always wet, in un-oxygenated water, which is harsh on the root hairs. The plant loses ability to take in water, and what water it does taken in is heavily laden with nutes, which, because the water intake is low, causes high solution concentration in the plant --> over feeding/burn. It's a guess, but that's all fact based.

Is it possible to add an airstone to the pot, so that the solution is oxygenated? Most hydro growers, including me, use aquarium pumps and a big airstone to each pot. I would reduce the nutes to 60% of where you're at, and add air. A pump and stone won't cost $40. You might also consider adding hydroguard to the solution, which adds beneficial bateria to combat root rot, which might also be happening, again because of the air situation.

My two cents. I've been growing hydro since about 1978.

[Edit] . I see you're doing better, but I still recommend adding air and hydroguard.

I’ve cut back nutes to 400 ppm you recommend doing 60% of that? Yikes my cal mag will be the only nute in the res lol. I’ve read about hydrogaurd. I had food grade peroxide I was using for the first bit . So never purchased hydrogaurd. I’ve since stopped using the peroxide. You recommend label strength for the hydrogaurd? And ahould I start back up with the peroxide? I was at 3 ml/g of the 35%. Maybe that would help with oxygenation too

BloodShot

BloodShot

I am running airdomes inside each pot as bloodshot mentioned. Blood do you recommend putting in some connectors and bringing that pump outside the tent it is about 6 degrees cooler
I do recommend the air pump be outside the tent and perhaps longer lines to air domes.
I personally just feel better about it as the pump supplied does get hot. I have actually put my air pump on a timer with my lights, and at times have turned it off completely.

Rdub

Rdub

Oh I forgot to mention that my air stones turn off with lights out. Thought I had read that in a few places but never really made sense to me. You recommend keeping that air on 24/7?

BloodShot

BloodShot

Oh I forgot to mention that my air stones turn off with lights out. Thought I had read that in a few places but never really made sense to me. You recommend keeping that air on 24/7?
No, but some may.
I am going to run a couple pots with air domes and a couple without next run to see what difference the added air makes in overall development.

Rdub

Rdub

No, but some may.
I am going to run a couple pots with air domes and a couple without next run to see what difference the added air makes in overall development.
Keep me informed. 👍🏻 I think I’m gonna go put my pump on 24/7 . I really don’t see what detrimental effect it could have. The water never stops flowing so

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Two things on this thread I want to address, nothing major. The first is regarding concentrated nute solutions. With most nutrients being a salt form of the base nutrient, too much can make things "salty". When you have salty water, it actually draws the water out of the plant, opposite of what it normally does. This is what makes the plant look wilted or burned if extreme.
The 2nd topic was regarding the use of pennies for weights. Copper is very toxic to plants... they use copper based paint to keep algae and stuff from growing on ships. I'd be a little nervous about using copper in a water system, especially if it has an acidic solution, which would help to dissolve the copper into the solution. I don't know if it would be enough to harm the plants, but just a heads up.

Rdub

Rdub

Two things on this thread I want to address, nothing major. The first is regarding concentrated nute solutions. With most nutrients being a salt form of the base nutrient, too much can make things "salty". When you have salty water, it actually draws the water out of the plant, opposite of what it normally does. This is what makes the plant look wilted or burned if extreme.
The 2nd topic was regarding the use of pennies for weights. Copper is very toxic to plants... they use copper based paint to keep algae and stuff from growing on ships. I'd be a little nervous about using copper in a water system, especially if it has an acidic solution, which would help to dissolve the copper into the solution. I don't know if it would be enough to harm the plants, but just a heads up.
Good looking out jimster. The inside of the float where the penny was placed doesn’t have water inside of it. I’ll keep my eye on it though and make sure it continues to stay dry

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Good looking out jimster. The inside of the float where the penny was placed doesn’t have water inside of it. I’ll keep my eye on it though and make sure it continues to stay dry
I don't use hydro and I have no idea of what the different parts of the system are, but I thought the pennies might somehow soak in the water. Sorry for the false alarm!! :)

Rdub

Rdub

I ordered some hydrogaurd I’ll keep the peroxide for cleaning. I hate that stuff anyway it was always bleaching my hands white. Will hydrogaurd contribute any significance to my ppms? Also should I just go label strength on it?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Rdub I'd aim for about 600ppm of nutes, on top of whatever ppm your water is. Hydroguard, no peroxide. Hydroguard is a culture, just a teaspoon is all you need, the bacteria will grow from there. Run air 24/7.
@OldManRiver makes a good point. Don't mix the hydro gaurd into your solution mix up in a gallon or 2 of Distilled water not tap or RO with hydro gaurd. Then pour over the medium. This will seed the medium and not waste it in the solution.

In RDWC and DWC I would dose the solution.

Rdub

Rdub

@OldManRiver makes a good point. Don't mix the hydro gaurd into your solution mix up in a gallon or 2 of Distilled water not tap or RO with hydro gaurd. Then pour over the medium. This will seed the medium and not waste it in the solution.

In RDWC and DWC I would dose the solution.
Would there be any harm in just adding it to the res for a week?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Would there be any harm in just adding it to the res for a week?
Nope you can if you like but that strain of bacteria don't do as well in a solution as they do in a substrate. That's why if you have a substrate you have an advantage when using it. In something like DWC you need to continually add. It will reproduce in substrate and you can reduce the amount you use it. In only an aqueous solution it doesn't do as well so it needs added more frequently.

BloodShot

BloodShot

Airstones need to run 24/7 and moving the pump outside is a good idea.

Hydrogaurd is a great product for preventing and treating root rot. But so not use it with hydrogen peroxide. It will kill it.

Either go sterile and treat every 3days with h202 or other. Or go live and use hydrogaurd as directed.
The kit "to my knowledge" normally doesn't come with added air domes, unless you purchase the full kit. They were an addition so are they actually required in this autopot system to run 24/7 or at all and what I wonder would be the difference in growth between the two is why I will run some with and without next run.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The kit "to my knowledge" normally doesn't come with added air domes, unless you purchase the full kit. They were an addition so are they actually required in this autopot system to run 24/7 or at all and what I wonder would be the difference in growth between the two is why I will run some with and without next run.
Probably not.... Intervals would be better than lights on and off but 24/7 takes all the guess work out. It's a tiny wattage.

Top Bottom