aspirin water for pollen production?

• Thread starter bicycle racer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bicycle racer

i have heard some growers use 1 pill of aspirin per litre of water to be used as a foliar spray to induce females to produce pollen for making s-1 fems or crosses similar to using ionized silver/s.t.s. or g.a. has anyone used this method with success to produce pollen first hand? if so please explain your methods. it seems some say it does not work at all and others say it does. it would be a cheap easy method if it can be made to work. any feedback appreciated.:time

O

Oaksterman

I have no direct experience with aspirin and cannabis but two schools of thought here from what I understand.

The first is, according to a breeder friend, is aspirin can promote hermaphrodism and he does not recommend you use it. In fact he has used it in the past to test potential breeder fems to see how strong they are and their ability to stay 'true' regardless of environmental stresses.

The other school is aspirin is a good thing and activates the plants immune system thus making it more resistant to diseases and pests and also helps promote a better yield.

BombBP

BombBP

I use aspirin outside as an insecticide. I've never had a fem hermie from using it and I use around 10 per gal.

7rayos

I've seen a thread by a guy that swore by it, either using that 1 litre/pill measure for foliar spray or two for a gallon if watering the substrate. It had to be made 1 week prior to pass onto 12/12, then the second week of flowering. He said it produced "survival polen", which would then be used in another female on flower and would produce 100% feminised.
That said, some spanish breeder went to try with both, sts and aspirin as to compare. While the sts worked fine, no change came from the "aspirined" one, it kept on producing female flowers and he said it looked healthier than usual. The only difference with the above method was that he sprayed three times instead of two, dunno why, but i don't think would affect, would it?
Didn't try myself, and won't. Gave up trying, too much bother for too little reward with the ado of risking herms, but if i'd do it, i'd choose well the experimenting plant, a proper strong mother so you make sure the polen you get it's that "survival polen" and not just a latent hermi trait, ie. careful if it's got a pure sativa in the hybrid.

S

StonedOwl

Does anyone out there have the space/time/resources needed to do some experiments? If it really works well it might be a useful tool for gardeners. Id like to know the facts.

BombBP

BombBP

I've used it outside for years and it has never hermed any of my fems at ten aspirin per gallon. It keeps bugs away though:).

O

Oaksterman

Does anyone out there have the space/time/resources needed to do some experiments? If it really works well it might be a useful tool for gardeners. Id like to know the facts.
If you do some research there's a decent amount of information about 'conventional' plants and the use of aspirin. Also things like when a plant gets attacked by pests or disease it emits salicylic acid that other plants in the area detect and strengthen their defenses in preparation for the onslaught coming their way.

T

tophmaster

really i am so interested by this. asprin never even heard of that really kinda nuts might give it a little outside test just sounds crazy

B

bicycle racer

anyways bombp im going to try anyways i believe you when you say it did not work for you. but i find others who say it does so ill test anyways its non toxic so no harm no foul ill post my results. any other input welcome.

BombBP

BombBP

We've all heard that advice from doctors. And moms have been dispensing this all-purpose cure-all to their families as a standard way of providing relief from headaches and sniffles, muscle aches and joint pain.
Then it should be no surprise to learn how an important aspirin ingredient--salicylic acid--is being used as an Earth-friendly first aid for warding off plant diseases.
Meet Martha McBurney, the master gardener in charge of the demonstration vegetable garden at the University of Rhode Island. In the summer of 2005 she tested aspirin water on tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, basil and other plants after reading about it in a gardening publication called the Avant Gardener (PO Box 489, New York, NY 10028). The results were well, astonishing...
"What caught my eye in the original Avant Gardener article was it said that aspirin is an activator of Systemic Acquired Resistance (SAR). And that plants, when under stress, naturally produce salicylic acid, but not fast enough and in sufficient quantities to really help them out in time. So the bugs get them, and diseases get them, and they show even more stress.
"But if you give them aspirin, it helps boost their immune system, kind of like feeding people echinacea so they don't get a cold.

http://www.plantea.com/plant-aspirin.htm

Animals have immune systems that produce antibodies and other cellular compounds that eliminate pathogens and prevent or limit disease development. Similar to animals, plants attacked by insects and/or diseases can trigger complex metabolic responses that lead to the formation of defensive compounds that fight infection or make the plant parts less attractive to insects. At the risk of going overboard with technical terms and scientific processes (which, by the way, I am sometimes accused of), I will share some research information that was recently published on plant "immune systems".

Plant scientists call this immune response within plants induced systemic resistance (ISR). ISR was first observed about 100 years ago and has now been identified in over 30 species of plants. Researchers noticed that disease attacks on plants led to a hypersensitive reaction characterized by lesions at the point of entry. The hypersensitive reaction prevented the spread of the disease within the plant. Not only is the disease organism localized, but the rest of the plant is also made resistant to attack by that disease.

When plants are attacked by an insect or disease, certain chemical compounds become more abundant within the plant. The compounds produced may cause resistant themselves or be chemical messengers that signal the plant to produce other compounds which defend the plant from that disease or make it less palatable to insects. Salicylic acid is one such compound.

Salicylic acid occurs naturally within many plants and may have evolved as a defense against insects. Salicylic acid was first isolated from willow bark in 1828. It is chemically related to aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid), which was first produced by the Bayer Company in 1859. In the 1990's, researchers noticed that plants attacked by a pathogen (disease) displayed a 180-fold increase in salicylic acid concentration. This correlated with an increase in other proteins that promoted disease resistance. Later research also showed that external applications of salicylic acid to the plant also caused increased disease resistance.

The metabolic processes that lead to disease resistance triggered by elevated levels of salicylic acid are well documented in the literature so I'll spare you the details. Suffice it to say that the more researchers examine salicylic acid's relationship to ISR, the more supporting evidence they find.

So, can we simply apply aspirin to our plants to promote insect and disease resistance? The answer is "yes and no". Plant species vary widely in their tolerance to applications of salicylic acid and aspirin at varying concentrations. Often at high concentrations, plant damage occurs. However, relatively large concentrations are needed to induce resistance because much of the salicylic acid become immobilized in the plant tissues that were initially contacted during application.

For example, in one study, barely seedlings treated with salicylic acid showed 97% protection against powdery mildew for at least 12 days. Aspirin gave 93% protection. In this experiment, a concentration of 15mM (millimoles) was used. However, little of the salicylic acid (1.4%) moved into new plant tissues after 24 hours.

Syngenta, a chemical company, has produced a salicylic acid derivative called Actigard that is kinder and gentler to plants than salicylic acid or aspirin. Actigard will induce a systemic response within four days and is registered for prevention of certain diseases on leafy vegetables, tomatoes, and tobacco.

There are several other compounds being explored and researchers are finding results similar to those of salicylic acid. Induced systemic resistance is an encouraging development in the realm of pest and disease control. In the end, these methods are safer and less harmful to non-target organisms and the environment.

http://www.papillonsartpalace.com/aspirinforplants.htm

B

bicycle racer

very interesting if my original goal fails i have still learned something that could be useful thanks. b.r.

O

Oaksterman

"What caught my eye in the original Avant Gardener article was it said that aspirin is an activator of Systemic Acquired Resistance (SAR). And that plants, when under stress, naturally produce salicylic acid, but not fast enough and in sufficient quantities to really help them out in time. So the bugs get them, and diseases get them, and they show even more stress.
"But if you give them aspirin, it helps boost their immune system, kind of like feeding people echinacea so they don't get a cold.
Yeah bro...kind of what I was talking about. Nice post and great info. At the least the aspirin should kick in the plant's defense system. Know someone that uses it like that outdoors religiously for that purpose. He laughed about the hermie thing but...for me to induce an immune response has to be a stressor of some sort.

BombBP

BombBP

Silver blocks ethylene production in female plants hence stopping female flowers from forming. Thats why it's(coloidal silver, STS) used to reverse fems.

B

bicycle racer

i foliar sprayed and watered with 8oo milligrams a gall aspirin on 2 hells angel og i want to make a fem cross of tahoe og/hells angel og. as a backup i made a silver generator with an rc car charger seems to be working although i think the silver is only 95% pure will this be an issue?

B

bicycle racer

i try to avoid using sts as it is quite toxic. im simply exploring other options. i normally use colloidal silver gibberelic acid or with some strains i simply let them go a few weeks past harvest date and they normally will produce some pollen at some point. sts works well but its not my favorite method.

B

bicycle racer

you would think. the only difference is there will be copper and zinc in the finished solution as sterling silver is 92% silver and 8% copper and zinc.

H

Hortus

Silver thio-sulfate is the chem compound that is typically used for pollen production. It is a simple blend of dark room (photo lab) chemicals.

Top Bottom