Assist to vent my basement please?

• Thread starter Anomaleyez
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Anomaleyez

Namaste.

Attempting to cool 2 strings of 5x 1000w hps in a large (roughly 18'x28' panda-paper sealed room).

Current cooling setup is 'working'..but far from ideal! I seek thoughts, opinions, ideas, etc. Thanks!

The current setup:
There are 2x 6" vents on the side of the house (idk proper terms, but both pipes were unattached before I arrived -one up high and the other down low -"cold air return" or whatever..as long as I achieve a slight negative pressure in flower room and equal pressure in the rest of the house I think I'm safe yeah?).

2x portable a/c's -14,000 BTU EdgeStar Extreme Cool... are currently inside a 'lung room' (which I think may be a bit too large also? -about 12'x20'?). These are coupled to a 6" Y then run out to a 6" fan and through the upper 6" solid duct -that connects to the outside of the house. -I think this is "okay", but also adding a bit of heat, as it runs through maybe 25' of solid duct before reaching the outside (think a long hollow heatsink at about 95-100 or so degrees fahrenheit running directly over the flower room is probably not too great..?). [The lung is also equipped with an 8" can and fan 'blowing' into the room during 'daytime' for temp regulation ..and a 10" can and fan in the room 'blowing' back into the lung, thus negative pressure. Also, when these 2 fans are not in operation a 6" 'blows' into the lung to maintain negativity...cuz it's such a positive thing :D] -Almost forgot to mention we have the a/c units (dual hose) input hoses sucking from the veg room currently.

Next piece of the current system is a vent (disconnected a/c vent) in an upper bedroom (we leave the window cracked).. from there the line runs through 6" duct to an 8" Y with 2x 8" growbright brand fans sucking as hard as they can. :rolleyes: From there.. 2x 8" flex ducts to the beginning of the 2x runs of 5 lights. After the lights is 2x more 8" growbright fans.. then 2x 8" duct to a Y, then coupled down to 6" and out the lower 6" duct to outside. Anyone wanna guess the cfm output? :cigar:

To summarize: we are attempting to blast the air from 2x 5 1000 watt hps =10 total lights out of a single 6" opening..LOL. Yes, I DO think this is foolish! 2x 8" fans rated to move (suck) 490cfm of air.. but then couple these fans through a Y and reduce to 6 inches..LOLZ. Yes, I do not know what else to do! -At least I currently have stable temps at 82.7 degrees max daytime..and can drop all the way to 70 at night (if/when I want). :asshat:

Anyone have thoughts on a better venting setup? Can I somehow safely tap into a vent on the roof?? I feel like I am close to somewhere...lol -Attempting to utilize less of the portable a/c units by increasing the exhaust efficiency of the lights. $$/gram ++ ..Word??

Note: I can only make alterations that are very quick and easy to put back to stock. Thanks for any input!

J

Jalisco Kid

If your lung room is that large I am surprised you could grow well at all. You need a lot more a/c unless you are above 13k' or the arctic circle. I would use a lung room about 200 cu.' you are wasting a/c to cool lung room. Venting an a/c chilled room goes against my better judgement. But I understand about the lack of funtickets. Cooling 10 lights in the summer will be a bit of a challenge. You need to look at how many air exchanges you can get per hour. If I could not get at least 6 per I would grow less unless you are growing for medicinal teas. Some do not need a ton of trics with thc. but most do. I use 6k btu/1k light in the summer. A lot of heat being stored. JK

A

Anomaleyez

If your lung room is that large I am surprised you could grow well at all. You need a lot more a/c unless you are above 13k' or the arctic circle. I would use a lung room about 200 cu.' you are wasting a/c to cool lung room. Venting an a/c chilled room goes against my better judgement. But I understand about the lack of funtickets. Cooling 10 lights in the summer will be a bit of a challenge. You need to look at how many air exchanges you can get per hour. If I could not get at least 6 per I would grow less unless you are growing for medicinal teas. Some do not need a ton of trics with thc. but most do. I use 6k btu/1k light in the summer. A lot of heat being stored. JK

What do you mean by "venting an a/c chilled room..."? -idk how else someone would utilize a lung room other than to bring air in and out of it..to and fro the flower room..? -Sucking warm air from the top of the room and dropping cool air dispersed around the top of the hoods. -And I am indeed sucking warm air..ofc the "cool" air is as I've said..just barely cool enough.

Thanks for the recommendation on reducing my lung room size, I will try that.. I was hoping to find a calculator that had cu.ft/min in/out and such.

Yeah, my number of exchanges per hour I am not too certain of..due to the current exhaust restriction to the flow of attempted air movement out of the house xD -take a guess at my cfm and we can do some math and find out (btw, they are all XXXL hoods..lol..)..haha.. really though, any advice on other exits for exhaust would be great! -pretty sure I'd get at least 30% more air movement with one more exit.

A

Anomaleyez

I think I mistook you talking about the air exchange through my lights now that I see you said "per hour" I should be working on different math.. but since I am thinking about exhaust more at this moment:

Magnum XXXL's are just under 6cu ft. -10 of them
-So the math is:
6cu.ftx5lightsx2runs =(30x2)60CF of air that needs to be moved

Having 2 490cfm fans per 5 lights should seemingly move at least 280 (after all restrictions accounted for) out of each run.. which would result in: 280/30= 9.33 refreshes per minute through each bank. -Even at 250 I'd be doing pretty decent at 500/60 at 8.33

However, smashing the 2 exits of 280cfm into one 6" (after a few bends and one 90 degree angle) maybe I get more like 300-370 max..? I'd guess I'm doing around 320/60 = 5.33 =a number that is creating too much heat! -lol

Help?

-I will think more on the lung and my number of refreshes tomorrow maybe :D

J

Jalisco Kid

I would not bring in outside air,I would run a sealed room with no exhaust. JK

Top Bottom