At least a hundred buds - but all tiny! Help!

• Thread starter AthelR
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AthelR

AthelR

We’ve grown this plant from a second generation seed saved from an autoflowering plant.
we’ve got lots of tiny buds but they’re not growing. Is it too late to get a good yield from this plant?
If not, is it the seed, or did we give it too much nitrogen? None of the white tendrils are turning brown yet but there are no trichomes either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

At least a hundred buds   but all tiny help
At least a hundred buds   but all tiny help 2
At least a hundred buds   but all tiny help 3
At least a hundred buds   but all tiny help 4
At least a hundred buds   but all tiny help 5
At least a hundred buds   but all tiny help 6
AthelR

AthelR

Hi Moshmen
That’s a really interesting suggestion! We seem to have lots of buds, so it is about growing them larger. Will the 12/12 light pattern help them grow? But I see your point - it may no longer be a 70-day growth cycle, and what we’re looking at is a plant that still has some time to grow.

AthelR

AthelR

What was the dad? Autos are difficult to get the genes passed along very rarely does it happen your first try - if you can treat it like a photoperiod and flip to 12/12 light schedule to help promote flowering
Ps it self-fertilised...

AthelR

AthelR

I’m going to try flushing the soil through in case the roots are struggling to absorb nutrient.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I’ve had some autos go 90 even 100 days! Just like they’re photo cousins longer is better imo. I think she looks ok , I would not flush completely, maybe just water no nutes ur next watering? Stay the course be patient and flip if needed .

Self pollination from hermie naners are bad in most growers opinions. Not the genetics that are desirable hopefully this one won’t herm on ya.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Hi Moshmen
That’s a really interesting suggestion! We seem to have lots of buds, so it is about growing them larger. Will the 12/12 light pattern help them grow? But I see your point - it may no longer be a 70-day growth cycle, and what we’re looking at is a plant that still has some time to grow.

I've never grown an auto myself, but I was reading the thread of a guy who breeds his own autos (on another forum), and he says it's a recessive trait. So it is very likely that it's got photo period tendencies. This plant kind of looks like the clone of a female plant that is just bursting to go into flower.

I’m going to try flushing the soil through in case the roots are struggling to absorb nutrient.

The plant looks healthy. Looks like a touch of nute burn and a touch too much N in the first pic, but you can just adjust the next time you feed.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

What was the dad? Autos are difficult to get the genes passed along very rarely does it happen your first try - if you can treat it like a photoperiod and flip to 12/12 light schedule to help promote flowering
Hi fellas I have done some auto breeding in the past and I have grown out hundreds of auto specimens over the years. Im definitely not a top tier professional breeder but Im definitely no rookie either. What I will tell you from my experience is this... If this is truly an auto-flower with ruderalis dominant genetics you should NOT turn the flower cycle to 12/12 it will actually slow down the process instead of speed it up. Autos need a minimum of 18 hours light or the buds come out weak and fluffy. Yes, it is true that sometimes a breeder can make a mistake and ship out regular photoperiod seeds. If by week 5 or 6 the plant shows absolutely no signs of pistols then that is when you need to flip 12/12. In your case Im pretty sure the plant is a true auto because it started pushing pistols all on its one without changing the light cycle.

Roughly how many weeks in from germination are you right now? It is very possible that your strain is a slower growing auto. These types of autos are more commonly referred to as "Super Autos". Without getting too deep into it basically a Super Auto has all of the same characteristics as a regular auto only difference is the automatic flowering process takes longer. When Im running autos outsides the regular autos can take 90-100 days. When I run a super auto it can take 125+.

Also what types of light you running? Do you have a light meeter? What is the LUX reading at the top of your canopy? If I had to guess I would say this is simply a combination of a slower than usual auto-flower strain accompanied by a light thats not quite strong enough. I doubt it is Nitrogen burn because yes... the tips are a bit burnt but the leaves are NOT flushed dark green. Almost always Nitrogen burn will be accompanied with super dark green leaves. Your leaves seem to be healthy...

If I were you I would focus on this. More light. More time. More Nutrients (If she can take it without burning). Ease back into this last one after the first two are addressed. Hope this helps. Peace. ✌

AthelR

AthelR

I’ve had some autos go 90 even 100 days! Just like they’re photo cousins longer is better imo. I think she looks ok , I would not flush completely, maybe just water no nutes ur next watering? Stay the course be patient and flip if needed .

Self pollination from hermie naners are bad in most growers opinions. Not the genetics that are desirable hopefully this one won’t herm on ya.
That’s reassuring Moshmen. They do seem still ‘young’. I’m sure that genetically, you can’t keep going generation after generation with hermies. We will follow your advice on watering. I think something just clicked into place about that! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
I hope we get a nice yield. Would you give high potassium nutrient at all, and if you don’t mind me asking another question, would you use a UV-B lamp to increase yield?

AthelR

AthelR

Hi fellas I have done some auto breeding in the past and I have grown out hundreds of auto specimens over the years. Im definitely not a top tier professional breeder but Im definitely no rookie either. What I will tell you from my experience is this... If this is truly an auto-flower with ruderalis dominant genetics you should NOT turn the flower cycle to 12/12 it will actually slow down the process instead of speed it up. Autos need a minimum of 18 hours light or the buds come out weak and fluffy. Yes, it is true that sometimes a breeder can make a mistake and ship out regular photoperiod seeds. If by week 5 or 6 the plant shows absolutely no signs of pistols then that is when you need to flip 12/12. In your case Im pretty sure the plant is a true auto because it started pushing pistols all on its one without changing the light cycle.

Roughly how many weeks in from germination are you right now? It is very possible that your strain is a slower growing auto. These types of autos are more commonly referred to as "Super Autos". Without getting too deep into it basically a Super Auto has all of the same characteristics as a regular auto only difference is the automatic flowering process takes longer. When Im running autos outsides the regular autos can take 90-100 days. When I run a super auto it can take 125+.

Also what types of light you running? Do you have a light meeter? What is the LUX reading at the top of your canopy? If I had to guess I would say this is simply a combination of a slower than usual auto-flower strain accompanied by a light thats not quite strong enough. I doubt it is Nitrogen burn because yes... the tips are a bit burnt but the leaves are NOT flushed dark green. Almost always Nitrogen burn will be accompanied with super dark green leaves. Your leaves seem to be healthy...

If I were you I would focus on this. More light. More time. More Nutrients (If she can take it without burning). Ease back into this last one after the first two are addressed. Hope this helps. Peace. ✌
Much appreciated 🤗🌹🦔🌹🤗

AthelR

AthelR

We have a plan for increasing the light. If it works, I’ll post it here... 😉

growsince79

growsince79

We’ve grown this plant from a second generation seed saved from an autoflowering plant.
we’ve got lots of tiny buds but they’re not growing. Is it too late to get a good yield from this plant?
If not, is it the seed, or did we give it too much nitrogen? None of the white tendrils are turning brown yet but there are no trichomes either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Too much N delays flowering.

Moshmen

Moshmen

That’s reassuring Moshmen. They do seem still ‘young’. I’m sure that genetically, you can’t keep going generation after generation with hermies. We will follow your advice on watering. I think something just clicked into place about that! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
I hope we get a nice yield. Would you give high potassium nutrient at all, and if you don’t mind me asking another question, would you use a UV-B lamp to increase yield?
Personally I would cut back the N a little bit and add more P&K but I am far from a expert on nutrients, I do no supplement UV there is much discussion and how much and when to apply there are guys out there that swear by it, I personally hold my autos back on size/yield a bit as I like the variety more than quantity- I do run autos right along side photos on 12/12 does it slow them down? I guess I can’t really answer that, I again get the results I’m lookin for which is 2-3 ounces per plant.

AthelR

AthelR

Personally I would cut back the N a little bit and add more P&K but I am far from a expert on nutrients, I do no supplement UV there is much discussion and how much and when to apply there are guys out there that swear by it, I personally hold my autos back on size/yield a bit as I like the variety more than quantity- I do run autos right along side photos on 12/12 does it slow them down? I guess I can’t really answer that, I again get the results I’m lookin for which is 2-3 ounces per plant.
The best we’ve done is an ounce...😖 but we’re only on our fourth growing cycle.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Im nearly certain guys that this is NOT a Nitrate issue. I do not think this is Nitrate burn stunting this plant. There is literally just one burnt tip on only one leaf but it happens to be front and center in the main picture. Everyones eyes are being drawn to that one single burnt leaf tip. Notice that every single leaf tip if perfectly fine except for that ONE that is brown. If this was Nitrate burn the leaves would all be dark green and there would be a burn on every single leaf tip. Pinch off that burnt tip and retake the pics so everyone stops saying that! LOL

Screen Shot 2020 12 20 at 74447 AM

Top Bottom