Attic grow (code:kushabove)

• Thread starter Notoriousskunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Notoriousskunk

Notoriousskunk

Wats up THCF
Long time since I post on here been busy as shit. Its that time !!!!!

I really want to smoke OG Kush and I cant get hold of none, so I guess I got to grow my own.
The only problem is space!!!!
Only thing o could get is a awkward attic space.

Dusty, cluttered, no floor boards, limited head room . (Cleaning in progress of course !!)
The space is like a pyramid but long and a central beam along the top of the roof make it the lowest headspace at 140cm. (need to maybe minus a 1.5 in for floor boards)
After some research today I found that most tents would not fit into this space.
Over all id say the space is 3.5m by 3.5 m but cuz of the space I recon the growing area will be about 1 by 2 sqm if that.
So I wanted to turn to the THCF for recommendations?

Few thoughts
Heat problems - no windows up there or near entry port.
Water – thinking of soil because wouldn’t have to hail as much water up there.

Thanks for reading:banana1sv6:
N$

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

Panda film it or line it with mylar. You might wanna figure out a way to get hot air outta there too. Attics get hot.

jagle

jagle

clean it, forget about a tent, you can go with panda plastic, but me, id build a grow room in there, better smell protecting, not something you want on a very hot stagnant summers day when the hot air from the attic drifts down into the house stinking of weed.

id build as big a flower and veg room as you can, but vents are very important, you will have a hard time keeping it cold in summer and warm in winter so dont forget that, id insulate the top of the attic roof, between the joists..

and good air suppy, over sixed carbon filter and your done

Notoriousskunk

Notoriousskunk

the only thing that has slowed me down is dust and ventilation,

how would i vent the space properly if there is no windows or air supply, the roof i think breaths but i don't fink it is enough for the girls.

getting fresh air in might be a big problem.

thanks for your input guys keep it coming

N$

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

does it snow where you live?? if so dont do it in the attic

jyip

jyip

does it snow where you live?? if so dont do it in the attic

curious here? why?? I live in snow country and not a problem ever....other thasn normal attic issues

u have to cut vent in attic floor to vent properly,,,, it is a simple formula to follow good luck

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

well i know someone who got busted because there was a patch of his roof bare, in the middle of winter

M

meercat.com

insulate top to bottom kingspan celex! is there a chimney stack? if so vent to chim thats wat chimneys for or was lol the snow on roof wont melt if insulated well! also someone already said cut hole in floor say above a cuboard pantry n vents in and out easy ok g luck! also water can be had simple just hose from bathroom up to loft have a water butt up there just make sure ya strengthen floor and water tight it ! happy days! go large on venting tho mate over size rather than under size .

B

basement botany

Have you done a search on here for pics and ideas from guys who have trailblazed ahead of you in attic growing. I would agree insulation is key. Bring fresh air in from your dwelling and exhaust via chimney. If no chimney then just exhaust into the main part of the attic just make sure you have a capiable carbon filter. Most attics arent airtight to the outside so it shouldn't really matter. I think your biggest worry would be your thermal footprint. If you don't insulate properly they you will stick out like a sore thumb from the air using IR cameras I would think. In the summer you will need to rig a window unit or a portable ac up there to control heat. Air from the dwelling probably will not be enough. And perhaps a small heater in the winter during lights out. I grow in the opposite extreme so I know the challenges that face you. You could just recirculate back into the dwelling as long as the air has been scrubbed good I recirculate mine no problems with smell. Have to refill my filter every year or so but no one is the wiser. Maybe exhaust out of house in summer and in the house in the winter to keep your heat. I might also add that after looking at some posts from other sites the general consensus was attic grows are the biggest pain in the ass. There is no where else in your home that you could set up shop. Anything would be better I think and be less challenging. Even a closet would be better. Or fake dresser anything.

Notoriousskunk

Notoriousskunk

Cheers guys well its under way < the way i see it is try and see how it goes got a few ideas for venting and flooring so far after some research,

let the games begin.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I did a very similar grow back in the day

leadsled called it the jack shack

wish I had pix

made a tent out of 1"x2" and black plastic - then I actually sheet rocked the inside

just rolled up one side to access it

had a huge plenum fan that drew air through so fast it never got hot in there

you should have some gable vents or something up there

I brought intake in from one side and exhausted out the other through gable vents

I lay plastic on the floor and framed the foundation so to speak - sandwiching the plastic between the floor (which I also had to put in the attic) and the 1"x2"s

then I made the sidewalls pulled up the plastic and used another 1"x2" to sandwich the plastic between 2 boards so i wasnt stapling and it made the structure pretty strong as well

then up to the roof rafters where I again sandwiched the pastic with 1"x2"s

make your end caps with the same technique

on one of the long sides I put some upright supports and used cardboard so the fan wouldnt suck in the plastic - left that side a bit long and stapled a 1"x2" to the end - that way I could just roll it to access the tent and slide the cardboard out of the way like closet doors

hang a couple pieces of string with a noose on the inside cieling of the tent with some screw in hooks on the outside so when you roll up the door/wall you can use the strings to hold up your roll up door

do yourself a favor and predrill your holes or the 1"x2"s will crack on you

G

Gaval

my first grow was an attic at my first house. If you dont find money that much of an issue i isulated the whole attic an made floors of plywood an also the ceiling. I also added extra exhaust fans for the summer. I made a room with a small door an installed a window air conditioner that had the condensation drip into a tote. you can go to wal-mart an get a digital heater for like 40 bucks. I wouldnt worry about your roof having a dry patch on it in the winter there are plenty of houses with poor insulation that never keep snow on the roof!

hiboy

hiboy

yo
so i have an attic for a veg room at location #1.
for air intake i chopped one of the vents to the house that was fed from the ac and now pull air from inside the house on a timer with an inline fan. works great. also have a small a/c in there, and a humidifier with a cap controller. rockin hard. i drywalled the whole thing, painted, sealed it all up.
h

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
keep in mind hes talking about an attic crawl space - not something you can stand up in

hiboy

hiboy

my attic is about 5' high in the middle and tapers off to about 3' or so , being about 6x7 wide. perfect for low moms and veggin till about 24"-30". had major doubts about it but its turning out kewl
h

Notoriousskunk

Notoriousskunk

Cheers guys, I have cleaned up allot in there still another few days or so but the space is coming along fine. Realised when I was exploring up there it’s hot as shit, I think that’s due to no ventilation any where. So I think the best option for air would be to make a vent in the port hole hatch den sucking the air in. very dust and dirty up there so I been cleaning best I can but going to lay the floor and hover properly next week. I was also thinking to paint the whole interior white and then make my own grow box. One more hurdle is electricity which there is no access up there. So rather the using 400”s I was thinking 250w x 2 to get more coverage and lessen the heat, what do you thinks?

I am going with killer watt – seedism and og kush reserve privada fem from seed.
N$

M

MTM

Im running in my buddies attic now and my head space is about 5and a half feet,just so you cant stand up.Its been agravating keeping my plants veeged short but I just harvested over a lb. out of there.Mine is 5 ft high x18ftlong and 10ft wide with the lowest point being about 3ft on the low side.Im pushing alot of air plus running a 8000 btu air cond.It can be done and some good grass grown...Heres a pic from mine last week

Picture 5816
Picture 5879
hiboy

hiboy

Notorious,
sealing the room is the way to go, keep the bugs out and the kewl in,, if you can keep it kewl with an a/c. Lots of work to drywall, paint, caulk all holes, but well worth it believe me. Made such the diff. in mine. As for fresh air, thats how i got air into the room, pull it from a detached vent ducting that leads into the house. As for electricity, two circuits are needed for sure. 1 for a/c and one for lighting. If you go hps or mh your gona create more heat. You could purchase some spendy l.e.d. or go t5 fluorescent if the heat isnt possible to overcome. Also a humidifier was mandatory, attics get very dry
h

jyip

jyip

hey nort,
i was just letting ya kno i used a gable vent ( is that what they are called? the vents up on roof peaks?) To get fresh cool air into the gro room.... works great, I have a single inline fan 275 cfms that i use to exhuast the room with, and this creates negative vacuum in my sealed room. negative pressure allows me to use one fan to both get fresh air in and also get hot air out...i can run all yr except during summer months without an AC and it is fine like that, and then AC during the summer... i used panda film to put over existing walls, ceiling , and floor with a staple gun.... easy to do, and i have had it for more a year or two already without having any issues whatso ever,,,in the past i have used mylar, but the pandafilm is way more durable and easy to clean , and it lasts forever n ever

good luck with it notorius

Top Bottom