Attic room design.

• Thread starter Rasta311
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Rasta311

Okay looking to change my attic grow room to run cooler and use less power. I now have two 4x4 tents with two 6k btu windows shakers in each tent. The ac units are fit into a hole cut out in the side of the tent. Runs way to much power and still tends to get a tad hot during the hottest days. I also have had issues with humidity in the tents.

I am wanting to go ahead and build a 5x8 insulated room up there. I plan on using 2x4s to frame and using tuff foam board to act as walls for my room. I will then Insulate the room with fiberglass between the 2x4s. Was also thinking of using reflectix on the inside walls for further insulation and radiant barrier. With all that I should have a nice sealed room with proper insulation.

Now comes the mill dollar question. Cooling and ventilation. I would like to step up to one 12btu shaker but make it more efficient. I think I need to build a proper box around the ac unit because now the hot side ambient temps get 120 during summer.

So I need some fresh air to the attic. I have decided to make one fresh intake in a bedroom closet.

The way I see it I have two options.

One: use the fresh air vent to bring in fresh air to the room and fresh air to my window ac box. I would have to use a y split and a can fan to bring air to both.

Two: use the fresh air vent to bring fresh air to my window ac and just forget about venting my room. This would mean bringing in a bottle or generator though but C02 may just be what I need in my situation.

Any input would be great.

Haggardass

Haggardass

Well if you use co2 you can run your temps a little hotter so theres a thought, also you didnt specify wether your going to use plywood for the walls or if your using just the foam board, if its the stuff im thinking of then the fan that your gonna need to clean and cool the air in that tent is gonna suck the foam walls right in its not really tuff stuff. so i would suggest, if your not already planning to, using plywood sheets for the walls. also if you were to use the a/c in conjunction with say an 8" fan pulling air from the closet (cool air) and blowing it out of the attic then you should be in business, ive never had the need for co2 befor but Ive read of people running temps up to the high 80s when using gas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom