Attic setup - well kind of

• Thread starter johnnyrotten
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

so, I'm in the early planning stages on what to do with my house in the next few years before my kids graduate to build a storage room that I can also build a grow room in...

The planned location is in the attic but it's not really an attic, I have a two story home with high vaulted ceilings and very little attic space...a few months ago I was wondering why the bottom story wasn't cooling and went to the attic to find a 12' drop in the attic to a space directly above our kitchen and behind our media room upstairs...it's also where the ducting for the lower floor connects to the AC/heat vents for the lower floor...to me it seems like it would be easy to build a door and make a storage room off the back of my media room upstairs and then make a hidden door in the storage room to a grow room maybe 4 x 8 ...run an electrical circuit up there, insulate it and then make an intake from the bottom floor that looks like another AC vent and vent it through the scrubber into the media room... I'd make sure to run backdraft dampeners in case the fan went out the whole house didn't smell like weed...

I usually grow in tents for ease of movement but this will need an insulated room I'm sure...I figure by that time I will be using LED's, I still have a couple 600W ballasts laying around though...
so, it's not really an attic, since it's 12' lower than the attic it's a little cooler even though it is attached... and yes, it's very hot where I live in the summer and it is not a med state...we keep the house AC/heat at 72 year round...

any ideas? will it still get too hot, humid?

SpiderK

SpiderK

or run coco or just soil in a small bed ... ?

you will need more cooling in that room it will be hot. but it helps running the three 600's ...

johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

very interesting...in my attic grow I will have to put a ceiling and seal everything up though...the dropped section is super tall and it will have to be pretty quiet...I've grown in soil, coco, perlite, DWC and I really like organic soil myself and I've been thinking small soil beds wicking from small reservoirs similar to an earthbox...similar to what Dirty White Boy used...

I'm thinking I could probably run a vent from my AC duct into the room, it will be right next to the room when it gets built... I've still got my humidifier and dehumidifier in my storage building as well... I've pretty much got everything except bulbs, I used to run my bulbs vertical with big tall plants around them so I've never used hoods... I've seen some good results with LED's and I think they are really suited well to a SOG...

I wouldn't run anything until the environment was correct and I have plenty of time to get it ready...this could turn into a three year thread...lol

whiskers

whiskers

sounds like a cool stealth grow space. will be cool to see what you do with it. hope i'm not watching for 3 yrs lol

johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

well, it may take that long before I grow in that space...it would be nice if I could but to make that room would probably require my kids to go out of town for a few weeks...I haven't even told my wife about my plans yet...just told her that we need to put a door in the media room and put plywood down to use it for storage...

Top Bottom