Auntie's Garage Garden 🌿

• Thread starter AuntieKush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
Why would it make a difference in veg? I was planning on doing the light-proofing in preparation for flower.

🤔 I've never been concerned with minuscule light leaks in beg. For flower tho....not a single unwanted photon around here lol

Cheers!!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looking good. I run a sealed room so some info that may help ya is.

1. High humidity is good for young plants. I see you are running VPD which is great but can be deceiving when monitoring like you are. I made a post on it I will link in a seperate post for you but a crucial part of it is having the ability to dehumidify or being the humidity down at lights out. This imo is the most common cause of PM alongside airflow. Here is why it's called relative humidity because its relative to temperature. Warmer air hold more moisture and cooler less. So the same water content in the air will have a different RH based on temps. When the lights go out your RH will spike makeing ideal conditions for PM or other fungus. There are 2 solutions timer to have humidifier shut off an hour or 2 depending on room size before the lights so that when the lights go out the spike doesn't problematic levels. Or use a humidifier and dehumidifier in combination making sure that the dehumidifier can pull water fast enough to keep the RH from spiking. To see if this is an issue check humidity at 20 and 40 min after lights out. If it's spiking you now know how to fix it.

A third option is to use a temp controller with multiple set points connected to a heater. This will allow you to slowly lower the temp and this eliminate the RH spike.

Airflow is absolutely key to prevention of PM also.

I can easily run my room at 80% RH in early veg and non with 60-65% later in veg and even early flower. Simply due to good airflow.

AuntieKush

AuntieKush

I got rid of wpm with liquid copper fungicide, but the wpm did a lot of damage to the plants!

If you wish to stay with baking soda it's one level tablespoon per gallon which I'm sorry you learned the hard way lol but I'd recommend you spray every 3 days, not once a week as you mentioned

Wanted to add I had marginal results against fungus (septoria) with baking soda, never tried it against wpm? Good luck!

Bumping it up to once every 3 days. Would hate for it to come back. I was thinking of adding some neem to the spray, to kill two birds with one stone - have you heard of anyone doing that?

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also you need take leaf temps into account for proper VPD. I know the graph shows you a VPD but it's not as accurate as you think which can and usually does lead to issues like pm.

Here is the thread I made.

AuntieKush

AuntieKush

Also you need take leaf temps into account for proper VPD. I know the graph shows you a VPD but it's not as accurate as you think which can and usually does lead to issues like pm.

Here is the thread I made.

Nice thread - I'll grab the IR thermometer next time i take a peek in the tent. The app has a place to put a leaf temperature offset.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Nice thread - I'll grab the IR thermometer next time i take a peek in the tent. The app has a place to put a leaf temperature offset.
That's awesome I haven't heard of one with an offset yet. Would you mind sharing the model?

AuntieKush

AuntieKush

Hi All,

Auntie here with another update.

Plants are looking happy after topping. Interesting to see how the leaves turn out after being cut, and to watch all of the new growth!

1_post_topping.jpg

I got a spray bottle from home depot for my anti-mold spray. Definitely beats having to use a spray bottle and only $10. Highly recommended.

2_spray_gear.jpg

Before spray:

3_pre_spray_tent.jpg

After spray:

4_all_wet.jpg

I also set up a new drain hose. I think I got too big of a hose, I might have to look for some sort of fittings and adapters. It sure does make watering easier. I had to get a bit of a siphon going to get it started, but I just put the end submerged in a container outside of my grow, draining into the earth once the container overflows. I might have to get a little pump because I don't want to keep having to re-start the siphon. Will post more details next time I water. Letting them get a bit dry now.

5_hose-jpg.965482

Things have been looking pretty good in the tent lately. The jerky lines are from the exhaust fan coming on and the air changing over. Pretty happy with my averages! 76F, 60% RH and 1.3 VPD.

6_smooth_sailing (1).png

A question for you guys - some of my leaves look like this:

Is this something serious? What's going on here?

7_whats_going_on.jpg

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Bumping it up to once every 3 days. Would hate for it to come back. I was thinking of adding some neem to the spray, to kill two birds with one stone - have you heard of anyone doing that?
I don't like neem very much so I'll Reserve comment but I wouldn't mix it in like you're contemplating, if you want to use neem apply it once a week by itself

also don't add a lot of soap to that baking soda mix, if you want to get the proper soap it's called Castile soap, otherwise if using household dish washing liquid just add a few drops

Ps. You asked me before why I recommended proper darkness in veg..? Because it's proper practice! Form good habits early on
✌😎

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hi All,

Plants are looking happy after topping. Interesting to see how the leaves turn out after being cut, and to watch all of the new growth!

1_post_topping.jpg

I got a spray bottle from home depot for my anti-mold spray. Definitely beats having to use a spray bottle and only $10. Highly recommended.

2_spray_gear.jpg

Before spray:

3_pre_spray_tent.jpg

After spray:

4_all_wet.jpg

I also set up a new drain hose. I think I got too big of a hose, I might have to look for some sort of fittings and adapters. It sure does make watering easier. I had to get a bit of a siphon going to get it started, but I just put the end submerged in a container outside of my grow, draining into the earth once the container overflows. I might have to get a little pump because I don't want to keep having to re-start the siphon. Will post more details next time I water. Letting them get a bit dry now.

5_hose-jpg.965482

Things have been looking pretty good in the tent lately. The jerky lines are from the exhaust fan coming on and the air changing over. Pretty happy with my averages! 76F, 60% RH and 1.3 VPD.

6_smooth_sailing (1).png

7_whats_going_on.jpg
Stress sometimes ya even see em flip upsidedown.

Madbud

Madbud

Hi All,

1_post_topping.jpg

2_spray_gear.jpg

Before spray:

3_pre_spray_tent.jpg

After spray:

4_all_wet.jpg

5_hose-jpg.965482

6_smooth_sailing (1).png

7_whats_going_on.jpg
I can’t see your photos but i suspect you are wooried about the leaves clawing. If its mainly at night, its cooler temps but if it is with lights on and a little tip burn i think its overwatering and a little nitrogen burn. Letting them dry is good, real dry, then flush with water. Jmo

AuntieKush

AuntieKush

I've been a bit under the weather last week or so. Finally starting to feel better. I'll fix up the pics!

Since I can no longer edit the last post, i'll put them here:
1 post topping
2 spray gear
3 pre spray tent
4 all wet
5 hose
6 smooth sailing
7 whats going on

Last edited:
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Be careful when you are spraying the oil. Make sure it's right after the lights go out and there is plenty of time before the lights come on. That will burn the hell out of your plants if there is any left on the leaf surface when the lights come on. If you want to stick organic might look into using organic emulsifiers when using something like cooking oil. Here is a list but I can't vouch for any of it

https://www.theherbarie.com/Emulsifiers/

Microsulfur/burning sulf/h202 will work better then that. The baking soda is just for changing the leaf PH. There is also stuff like stylet oil (JMS) but I havent used it as a full treatment from start to finish to tell you if it really works. Some OD people I know use it religiously and swear by it. I never really cracked into the bottle heavy.0 Have it more for pests now and preventive. Same precautions go with that tho. I always use something like coco wet with it.

AuntieKush

AuntieKush

Be careful when you are spraying the oil. Make sure it's right after the lights go out and there is plenty of time before the lights come on. That will burn the hell out of your plants if there is any left on the leaf surface when the lights come on. If you want to stick organic might look into using organic emulsifiers when using something like cooking oil. Here is a list but I can't vouch for any of it

https://www.theherbarie.com/Emulsifiers/

Microsulfur/burning sulf/h202 will work better then that. The baking soda is just for changing the leaf PH. There is also stuff like stylet oil (JMS) but I havent used it as a full treatment from start to finish to tell you if it really works. Some OD people I know use it religiously and swear by it. I never really cracked into the bottle heavy.0 Have it more for pests now and preventive. Same precautions go with that tho. I always use something like coco wet with it.

So far I haven't seen any burn from my last spray, so I think it was dilute enough to not cause any burn.

Im going to be switching to flower pretty soon, and am getting kind of worried about what to do for pest & fungal management when the buds start growing. I don't want to infuse them with weird smells / tastes / chemicals. What would you suggest for flower?

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
So far I haven't seen any burn from my last spray, so I think it was dilute enough to not cause any burn.

Im going to be switching to flower pretty soon, and am getting kind of worried about what to do for pest & fungal management when the buds start growing. I don't want to infuse them with weird smells / tastes / chemicals. What would you suggest for flower?

Your only real option there is H202. Sulfur will def effect the taste and smell. Problem with h202 is it's more of control. It's not a cure. Stuff like baking soda sprays will turn the pistils brown in flower unless you find the right happy medium. Even then I don't like it. Why I never liked stuff like Green Cleaner. Def affected the end product.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
You will want to give the room a full head to toe cleaning after the plants are done. Stuff like Chlorine Dioxide works very well (ProKure is a brand if you want a shortcut). Tea Tree oil or Pysan also work well along with bleach (has to be above 10% and you really want breathing protection or lots of air exchange) and h202 ( I forgot the concentration for that - don't like using that). I use Tea Tree to clean out my A/C units.

AuntieKush

AuntieKush

Your only real option there is H202. Sulfur will def effect the taste and smell. Problem with h202 is it's more of control. It's not a cure. Stuff like baking soda sprays will turn the pistils brown in flower unless you find the right happy medium. Even then I don't like it. Why I never liked stuff like Green Cleaner. Def affected the end product.

I guess I'm stocking up on some h2o2 soon!

AuntieKush

AuntieKush

Hey Ya'll,

Auntie here with a quick update.

So when I was under the weather, I didn't tend to my babies quite as well as I should have, and they got a bit too dry, or perhaps I didn't do a good job watering one of them. Spot the problem child:

Here's a closer look:

Poor baby:

I'm gonna give her a bit of extra water and hope she perks up!

The rest of my girls are looking great though:

More updates coming soon!

Last edited:
AuntieKush

AuntieKush

Hi Ya'll,

Auntie here w/ an equipment update! I've been pretty excited to share this. I got a bit of new equipment, and totally re-did my tent setup. Things are SO MUCH BETTER. Check it out:

1. I got a carbon filter, and the correct sized exhaust hose (6").

The hose now perfectly snaps into this exhaust vent that was already on my garage, sitting flush with the grate, with no additional hardware, tape, etc. It has great flow going directly outside.

1. I moved all of my controls outside of the tent. It definitely feels like the right way to have things set up, it's much easier than having to dig around in the tent to set things up, it removes some light pollution from the tent, and it looks cool. Love it.

1. I redid my fan setup, and moved where my pulse grow monitor and my controller sensors are. I've got 4 fans in there now. Two oscillating and two non-oscillating.

1. I also moved around some of the electrical cords, so things are much neater. Still not amazing, but way better than they were.

Seems like it's paying off a bit. My VPD has been much more stable after all this work, except for when the humidifier ran out of water. Oops!

Top Bottom