Automated Raising/Lowering of Lights

• Thread starter mello
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mello

mello

I'm building a 12 K room and I want to put together something that will allow me to easily raise/lower the lights without having to move them individually.
I will have 4 tables with 3 K over each. I will most likely be growing 2 varieties each run so ideally I'd like to be able to adjust the light height in each half of the room.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Hey I'm subbed in case you find an idea. I've been looking for a motorized winch of some sort. I want it more for vertical bulbs though, and thinking of having all of them on rope/pulleys then connected independently in a row to the winch thing. Have also considered just using a standard mover track and anchor the ropes to that. This would be mostly for ease of moving lit bulbs out of my way while working (high ceilings), yet still have independent height adjustment if needed. I'm not into stuff moving around so much when I'm not there, but could also see a vertical mover app if done safely.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

I used the hand crank gator and it works great. Make for ease of use and not have to lug a ladder in the room to raise and lower the lights. I mounted my lights to a c channel that is used in commercial electrical and then hooked the gator to that.

I am using adjust a wings.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

a little pricey though. now I'm starting to think about how to replicate one with a hand-winch and unistrut. Thor might be right and garage opener might be better diy for the price if want motorized and are going to customize it anyway?

ok just found some electric trailer winches online for under $50

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I used the hand crank gator and it works great. Make for ease of use and not have to lug a ladder in the room to raise and lower the lights. I mounted my lights to a c channel that is used in commercial electrical and then hooked the gator to that.

I am using adjust a wings.

I think i stole this idea from you originally al,but im incorporating it into my new room,all the cred goes to al though.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

LOL... we are all here to share. I would not be where I am at as far as room prep and journals if it was not for this site. I try and visit other sites but get lost in the jungle. This is home. Great people is what makes this home.

dankworth

dankworth

back hurts from hunching over eh? now teach us a good diy :eek:
My gig is engineered to function the whole time with the reflectors at the height that they currently are at. No raising and lowering for me.
My 7'5" ceilings are a blessing in disguise.

mello

mello

Good info dudes.
Much appreciated.
I'm gonna toy around with some of these ideas. I'll let you know how it goes.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

This is what I would consider your best option. This is how theatrical rigging works. The lights would be hung on the pipe (part #4), and the pipe moves up and down, moving all your lights at the same time at the same height.

Another option would be to raise and lower your tables and keep your lights at the same height. A series of car jacks could be used to raise and lower the tables.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

This is what I would consider your best option. This is how theatrical rigging works. The lights would be hung on the pipe (part #4), and the pipe moves up and down, moving all your lights at the same time at the same height.
pretty much what I was thinking, thanks!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

At 75 bucks for the hand crank version of the gator lift i dont think i could put together the parts as cheap let alone engineer it.One lift per 2 1000s sounds about right but you could hang alot more if you lengthened the bar and used lighter weight reflectors like the a-wings ill be using.

Top Bottom