B8KD's 2nd Grow - Indoor This Time - Unknown Strain - So much fun!! šŸ’„

• Thread starter b8kd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
b8kd

b8kd

So this is my 2nd grow. Iā€™m catching yā€™all up on all of it. Since I started the grow on August 15th, 2023 there will be a lot of updates. But lots of pics too. And Iā€™m also long winded when I type. I try to be very specific in what Iā€™m writing so that any newbies, like me, that read it, will hopefully be able to get something out of it. And itā€™s actually kind of funny how this whole grow evolved. Never intended to even flower the plant.

The short story is my local dispensary keeps a beautiful little cannabis plant in their store behind the counter. Itā€™s basically a house plant that theyā€™ve been experimenting with. They wanted to see if they could grow exposed roots over a glass jar laying on its side and make it look exotic kind of like a bonsai. And thatā€™s what they did. It looks amazing. And I wanted one just like jt. So thatā€™s what I was gonna shoot for over the winter. A pretty little cannabis house plant. Just something to fart around with over the winter and maybe try to learn cloning, and anything else I could throw in there. The shop leaves a small grow light on 24/7 behind the counter so that they donā€™t flower that plant which would get them in trouble with our local cannabis laws.

Ok, so back to my grow. I started with two bag seeds. Both unknown. Over seven years old. But I was pretty sure the nice brown seed was from some triple chocolate chip seven years ago. But Iā€™m really not sure. Just hoping itā€™s Indica leaning at this point. So I wet a paper towel and started to germinate it. Around August 15th I got a root and within a couple weeks we had a little plant started. From that point on itā€™s been so much fun and Iā€™ve learned so much along the way. Iā€™ve been learning how to clone plants using cubes, water, soil, etc, and just amazes me how all that works. Really enjoying myself.

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun

So after the little seed germinated I threw it in a little pot with some basic soil, miracle grow or something. And bam, it started to grow. Oh and I got a $100 LED grow light from Home Depot because it was winter. I hung the lamp from my dining table light and stuck the plant under it. The picture is from September 24th I think so about six weeks since the seed showed a root.

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 2

A couple weeks in I was curious about whether it would be male or female now that I had it chugging along. Of course I wanted a female. Lo and behold a few weeks in and I was able to tell it was a female. Turns out there is a lot of information online giving instructions on how to determine male or female early in the plants life. Google is your friend here fellow newbies. So knowing it was female I continued moving forward with a smile on my face. That was on Sept 18th. So it took one month to confirm it was female after the seed popped. Hereā€™s one of the photos I sent a friend when I determined it was a female.

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 3

As it continued to grow I started to get a little surprised at how fast it was actually growing. And decided I needed a different light. Well back to Home Depot to return the $100 light I picked up for a more powerful $170 led grow light from Lowes which was much more like the grow lights I see online. It put out about 460 units of light so it was doing pretty good as a veg light.

At this point the plant was getting too big for the table and I needed a more permanent spot. I decided on the upstairs coat closet. Could hang the light a little higher and it was close to where I spend most of my time in the house. Picture below.

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 4

By this time I had moved it to a five gallon fabric pot and surrounded it with Fox Farm Ocean Forest. My lord did it take off. I had used this soil on my first grow a few years ago, documented most of the grow on this forum.

As it kept getting bigger, and looking healthy as can be, I started to think about flowering her because it was doing so well. I had moved it into my upstairs coat closet and it had quickly outgrown its area. So I moved it to an unfinished closet/room that is about 7x11 to continue growing her and starting to learn how to clone. This all went fantastic. Lots of fun.

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 6

But now I was thinking Iā€™d get her as big as possible and put her outside around April and grow a huge plant outdoors when the season hit. Iā€™d get a big jump on vegā€™ing her. As she kept growing, and so did my five clones, I realized there was absolutely no way I was going to get this thing out the door come April due to the size. I was going to have to commit to flowering her indoors. So I bought another of the lights I was using, spread them apart, and decided to move forward with the grow.

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 12

Now that Iā€™d made the decision to move forward indoors I needed to learn how to maximize my yield. I had topped the plant quite awhile ago and decided to top it again. This was all successful. I did read you could top a plant too many times and end up with too many tops and that the plant could do strange things, but I was learning so what the heck, topped her again. I had tons of tops shooting up.

What I didnā€™t realize is I had my lights to close to the canopy. And what I took as a nutrient deficiency was actually light bleaching. Before realizing this I moved the plant to a ten gallon pot with some new dirt because I thought it might help. But no because it wasnā€™t nutrients. It was the light that turned it yellow. And it would not correct itself. The bleaching hadnā€™t happened lower down, and I was getting ready to go out of town for a week, so I decided to completely chop off all the yellow tops and bleached leaves. God that was a hard decision to make. But the best one Iā€™ve made in a long time. The photo below shows what the light bleaching looked like along with me replanting from a five gallon to a ten gallon. I basically cut every leaf and upper node off that plant that had started to yellow. Ouch!

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 8

At this point I thought the plant wasnā€™t gonna make it. I had someone water it twice while I was gone with no real expectations. God darn, when I got back I was absolutely amazed. It looked beautifuL. It had almost fully corrected and had new growth everywhere. Thank the lord.

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 11

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 10

So now what to do? Well I read I should possibly trellis my plant to help with even light coverage. So I built as 5.5ā€™ x 5ā€™ trellis using what I think are 3.5ā€ holes. That technique was a little bit of a learning lesson. But it worked. It has now almost completely filled all 240 holes with what will each become a cola hopefully. Some of the holes in the trellis have one, two, or even three nodes popping through.

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 16

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 15

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 14

Ok, knowing this was going good I decide maybe Iā€™ll do this again and I invest in a good light. I talk to the folks over at HLG and they spend a lot of time trying to understand my setup. What I end up with is an HLG Scorpion Rspec FR with an additional add on UV bar for flowering time. I also picked up a HLG 250 veg pro for a separate clone/veg room, and a Telos controller so that I can manage both lights independently. Iā€™ve hooked up the HLG Scorpion Rapec FR and the Telos controller. Telos controller works great and the light is amazing. In less than 24hrs Iā€™ve seen some impressive growth after replacing the old light setup.

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 18

And hereā€™s a picture of the plant last Friday.

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 19

And hereā€™s a picture of the plant today. Looking solid and itā€™s almost time to start flowering this thing and see what happens.

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 20

Will post more when I have more updates.

B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 5
B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 7
B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 9
B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 13
B8kds 2nd grow   indoor this time   unknown strain   so much fun 17
b8kd

b8kd

Need some help here. Watering the plant tonight and I noticed what I believe are three pollen sacks on a branch that were close together. This was one of the oldest branches on the tree. I also noticed a few little white flowers in the same general area on that branch. I started looking everywhere on the plant to see if I could find anything else like this on any other branch and thus far I haven't been able to. I'm now questioning whether I identified this correctly early on. I sure thought it was a female based on what I saw early on. But I am a newbie. I have stressed the heck out of this plant since I started it August 15th. So maybe I caused it to Hermie? Or was it always a male? I'm lost right now. Any help appreciated. Look at my post above for the whole story along with a pic showing why I thought it was a female early on. Maybe I was wrong. If I do need to chop it down I have learned a tremendous amount over the last six months with this plant. But I'm going to wait and see what y'all say. Thanks!

IMG 1604
IMG 1606
IMG 1616
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Need some help here. Watering the plant tonight and I noticed what I believe are three pollen sacks on a branch that were close together. This was one of the oldest branches on the tree. I also noticed a few little white flowers in the same general area on that branch. I started looking everywhere on the plant to see if I could find anything else like this on any other branch and thus far I haven't been able to. I'm now questioning whether I identified this correctly early on. I sure thought it was a female based on what I saw early on. But I am a newbie. I have stressed the heck out of this plant since I started it August 15th. So maybe I caused it to Hermie? Or was it always a male? I'm lost right now. Any help appreciated. Look at my post above for the whole story along with a pic showing why I thought it was a female early on. Maybe I was wrong. If I do need to chop it down I have learned a tremendous amount over the last six months with this plant. But I'm going to wait and see what y'all say. Thanks!
Those are looking like some male flowers, can you get some clearer pics? Are they all over the plant or just a few here and there in the lowers? How far into flower are you with it?

b8kd

b8kd

Those are looking like some male flowers, can you get some clearer pics? Are they all over the plant or just a few here and there in the lowers? How far into flower are you with it?
I havenā€™t started flowering the plant. Itā€™s been in Veg, on 18/6 lighting, since around August 2023. I can get some more pics but it is only on one branch that I can find so far. And this plant is pretty damn big at this point if youā€™ve seen the most recent photo of it stretched across the trellis. The canopy is a little over 5ā€™x5ā€™. Iā€™m really curious if I originally identified it correctly as a female or I fubared that. Iā€™ll get more pics in a few hours, but again itā€™s isolated to that one area as far as I can tell.

b8kd

b8kd

So hereā€™s a video. Not sure if itā€™ll help diagnose whether itā€™s a hermie or male. Iā€™ve also posted the three photos two posts up that have what I belong to be a pollen sack and a pre flower. This only occurred on the one branch in this one location if it is indeed a hermie. If I just fā€™d it up then take my licks and happy I got the experience I did over the last five months. But waiting to chop it down to hear back from a few people that really know what theyā€™re talking about. The whole history of this grow is above in the first post. Thanks fellow forum members.

b8kd

b8kd

Do I chop it down or try to flower it? I really need some help here forum family and Iā€™ve been asking over and over again. Iā€™ve invested almost six months into this plant and need to know what to do here. I just donā€™t have the experience to figure this one out. Again, thanks for any help!

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
So hereā€™s a video. Not sure if itā€™ll help diagnose whether itā€™s a hermie or male. Iā€™ve also posted the three photos two posts up that have what I belong to be a pollen sack and a pre flower. This only occurred on the one branch in this one location if it is indeed a hermie. If I just fā€™d it up then take my licks and happy I got the experience I did over the last five months. But waiting to chop it down to hear back from a few people that really know what theyā€™re talking about. The whole history of this grow is above in the first post. Thanks fellow forum members.
I would say if it is only the one branch, and you have been at 16/8 or higher light schedule the whole time then Iā€™d cut the branch in question off, spray down the whole plant with some water (just as a precaution) and flip to flower, youā€™ll know in 20 ish days, if you donā€™t see anything questionable on the rest of the plant Iā€™d give her a go

Can you get any more pics of any cylaxes? She looks old enough that she should have showed sex pretty widespread on her should be seeing hairs coming from cylaxes, can you take some pics of some of some try to be clear with them

b8kd

b8kd

I would say if it is only the one branch, and you have been at 16/8 or higher light schedule the whole time then Iā€™d cut the branch in question off, spray down the whole plant with some water (just as a precaution) and flip to flower, youā€™ll know in 20 ish days, if you donā€™t see anything questionable on the rest of the plant Iā€™d give her a go

Can you get any more pics of any cylaxes? She looks old enough that she should have showed sex pretty widespread on her should be seeing hairs coming from cylaxes, can you take some pics of some of some try to be clear with them
Here are some more pics. Hopefully thisā€™ll give yall what you need to identify make/female/herm. Iā€™m starting to think male and that I just screwed this up initially with a sexā€™ing the plant wrong. If so it kinda sucks because Iā€™ve made like ten clones. But itā€™s been a success from a knowledge and experience standpoint of what ā€œNOTā€ to do next time. šŸ˜‚

IMG 1666
IMG 1659
IMG 1658
IMG 1656
IMG 1655
IMG 1653
IMG 1652
IMG 1651
IMG 1649
IMG 1648
Top Bottom