Babes with leaves curling in on themselves

• Thread starter Bousky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bousky

Bousky

I am vegging some babies. I am in day 6. I have had heat issues and should have tested the room before planting. But here we are.
I am using H&G's vegging nutrient schedule from their online calculator. I am cutting them back a bit from the recommended amounts.
The room has been running hot, from 75 to 86 degree. It creeps with the weather, which has been quite hot. Until yesterday I ran the lights at 400 (variable ballasts). I increased them to 600, with the intent of moving up to 1000 after making some changes in the ducting. I just turned them down to 400 again. From what I have read here I am thinking it is the heat causing the problem. Although I saw no pictures to confirm it wasn't the nutrients.

I would love some advice. Is my problem what I have seen referred to as tacoing.
DSCN9378.jpg

I will be revamping the ducting today, in the meantime I am looking for some advice.
Thanks

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
I am vegging some babies. I am in day 6. I have had heat issues and should have tested the room before planting. But here we are.
I am using H&G's vegging nutrient schedule from their online calculator. I am cutting them back a bit from the recommended amounts.
The room has been running hot, from 75 to 86 degree. It creeps with the weather, which has been quite hot. Until yesterday I ran the lights at 400 (variable ballasts). I increased them to 600, with the intent of moving up to 1000 after making some changes in the ducting. I just turned them down to 400 again. From what I have read here I am thinking it is the heat causing the problem. Although I saw no pictures to confirm it wasn't the nutrients.

I would love some advice. Is my problem what I have seen referred to as tacoing.
DSCN9378.jpg

I will be revamping the ducting today, in the meantime I am looking for some advice.
Thanks
What happens with stress is it affects everything such as the plants cant take in the available nutes and that leads to salt problems etc etc. Use just water til you see improvements and that might take a week or two then add light nutes. Just went through the same thing in my mom room due to heat

Bousky

Bousky

So I was right in cutting back on the lights. I don't want to add more stress should I leave the room alone today? With the lights at 400 I should be able to keep the temp way down. The weather here has cooled and the changes and insulating I have done is why I turned up the lights.

Ultimately I have to change the ducting and would prefer to do it today, but these babies take priority. I want to keep them alive!

Should I feed them today or just flush. I am growing in coco.

Bousky

Bousky

Thank you Dan. Our posts crossed and you answered one of my questions. But, do you think reworking the ducts today is a mistake?

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Thank you Dan. Our posts crossed and you answered one of my questions. But, do you think reworking the ducts today is a mistake?
I think its a great idea. Also raising the lights might help...a little stretch is better than fried plants.

Best of luck...Im heading out for a few

Bousky

Bousky

Thanks again to all of you who have given me the answers I need so quickly. The work will happen today. It is probably the perfect day since the weather has cooled considerably. I live by the beach and hot weather like we have been having is unusual. I am much happier making the changes in the room today rather than waiting.

The lights are cooled and about 38" from the top of the plants. The lights have been turned down from 600 watts to 400 watts. The curling happened yesterday after turning them up to 600. I thought the room had been stabilized enough....I was wrong!

Bousky

Bousky

Reworking of the ducting.....basically moving the exhaust from a window in the room up through the closet ceiling and venting through a vent in the attic, Also, moving the intake to the window box from a adapted vent in the room seems to be holding the temp in the 70s. Although the temp outside is also in the 70s and overcast. It really helps not to battle Mother Nature along with all the other variable with growing!

Bousky

Bousky

It has been ranging from 45 to 60. So far today it is high 50s to low 60s.

I have decided to veg with a 18\6 light schedule, so my lights can be out during the high heat hours. They are out right now. September and October are our hottest months. My reworking on the ducts helped, but I still hit 80 degrees at around 2pm yesterday with the sun outside. It could have climbed higher I had a family event to attend and no one to watch the temp for me. The temps were great the day before yesterday, when we were overcast all day.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
You should be running your lights at night if your not. My flower room comes on at 7pm and goes off at 7am. My veg room comes on at 6pm and goes off at noon.

Go to lowes or home depot and get a digital thermo that records the hi and low for the last 24 hour so even if your not home you can still see the hottest tne room got in the last 24 hours. Mine is remote so I can read the temps from my bedside

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

80 degrees shouldn't do that to a plant unless there are other issues, imho

Bousky

Bousky

Thanks Dan. I moved on of my thermometers outside the room so I could monitor it while the lights are out. I believe it has the capabilities you speak of. I didn't realize it did and I turned it off and wiped out the memory. I like the idea of a remote way of checking! I am sure with technology today I could probably rig it to check from my cell phone!

I have someone who has been growing for a long time who has been guiding me. Although I am finding you will have as many opinions as people you ask when it comes to doing this. I am seeing you only have lights out for your vegging for 6 hours. I was advised to go 8 hours out, contrary to the original advise of 24 hours. Which is what the book I read said to do. Due to the heat I am dealing with it helps tremendously to have lights out during the day. Right now I am out from 10am to 6pm. This covers the hottest part of the day. I could just as easily do 6 hours from 11 to 5 if 6 hours is where I should be!

I really appreciate the help! I have a tendency to second guess myself. I do know I want the very best results I can possibly get! Ha ha.....My heritage is farmers....I think I am returning to my roots! I am loving it!

Bousky

Bousky

80 degrees shouldn't do that to a plant unless there are other issues, imho

I believe it was day 3 or 4 when the temp hit 100 degrees. I had a couple of days that were very yo-yo like. That is when the curling happened. I probably planted a bit too soon. As I said I am being guided by people who have been doing this for a long time. They had harvested recently and got me clones when they got theirs. It was a couple of days before I should have had them. My room wasn't tested as well as it should have been.

They had just moved their operation and the clone room wasn't set up yet. Next planting will be completely at my own timing because the clones will be more easily available.

Bousky

Bousky

I am. I just finished setting up a second AC. I will need it when I turn the lights up to 1000 watts. Since I changed the ducting the temp of the room seems to be holding well at 600 watts.

I also made a mistake. My lights will only be off for 6 hours until done vegging.

Top Bottom