Baby got the bends!

• Thread starter Dmassive
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dmassive

Well, this is my first time posting pics of my stuff, I hope you enjoy.

This here is called Lemon Bang. It's 4 weeks in and is an 8 week strain.

This plant was trained using a combo of LST (just the main stem) and Bending (the main stem and all other branches).

I just lolli popped her a bit this morning to get rid of the extra leaves and junk that wasn't going anywhere.

She is 32 inches wide and under 13 inches tall. Just the way I like em.:rock

Enjoy!

Baby got the bends
Baby got the bends 2
Baby got the bends 3
Baby got the bends 4
Baby got the bends 5
R

Rolln J

fucking way cool bonsai man - dig it! what kinda light she under?

M

muxee

Wow! I'm glad I stopped by, she is an absolutely beautiful bonsai tree. Great Job :cool0010:

L

landcruiser

nicely done,looks v pretty.lookin 4ward to seeing her in 4/5 more weeks

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Nice work and bud shots!!! I'm gonna have to train myself some more now. I like this bonsai work as well as scroggin'...
:sign0005:
Got any shots of your technique at different stages of veg?

true grit

true grit

Absolutely gorgeous. I'm so tempted to try this one of these days. How long of veg period does it take to train and fill in a screen that size?

D

Dmassive

Nice work and bud shots!!! I'm gonna have to train myself some more now. I like this bonsai work as well as scroggin'...
:sign0005:
Got any shots of your technique at different stages of veg?

I don't currently have shots at the different stages, but I have been considering doing a video on bending. I have a batch just about to come out of the cloner so maybe I will do that this time.

D

Dmassive

Absolutely gorgeous. I'm so tempted to try this one of these days. How long of veg period does it take to train and fill in a screen that size?

For this size, once the clones are potted in the little 4" pots. About 6 weeks. This one was topped at about 2 weeks and then vegged for another 4. I think the top was unnecessary though as I ended up cutting out a ton of branches because it was SO crowded.

This time I am not going to top them so it should cut the time down to 4 weeks in my veg room (under T5 fluorescents). Then when I move them to my flower room (600w HPSes with hoods) I keep them on 18/6
for up to another week so that the canopy is about 60-70% full.

That's when I flip to 12/12 and in the next two weeks the canopy fills in completely and at the two week mark I prune out a lot of stuff. Then I do another smaller prune and lollipop at 4 weeks.

lilhydro

lilhydro

wow great bonsi, like how you keep her low hwt kind of yield do you get from this style
:big_boss:

D

Dmassive

wow great bonsi, like how you keep her low hwt kind of yield do you get from this style
:big_boss:

With the proper training and a decent strain (doesn't have to be the biggest yielder on the planet), I get consistently between 1 - 1.5 lbs per 600w light.

I run 4 of these bonzai style trees per 600w light.

B

Bud Farmer

Nice work!
I think she would look even better after a reveg or two!

D

Dmassive

Nice work!
I think she would look even better after a reveg or two!

I currently use #2 sized pots which hold 1 3/4 gallons of soil.

I have tried using bigger pots with a longer veg and only putting 3 plants under 1 light, but the yield was less. I have also tried 5 and 6 plants under one light, but again the yield wasn't as good. For my style of growing 4 of the size you see in the pictures yields the best results.:afroweed:

S

saltr

Although you're probably not on the farm the eve of your Beaver-Ducks civil war, i must express deep envy for your beautiful grow. Following a very similar system as yours, i'm interested in how you obtain such an even, full canopy. When you refer to 'bending' the side growth, are you super-cropping (stem break) or tying them down more LST style? Do you FIM at all? Thank you very much, and congrats on such an impressive mastery of technique.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
nice man, so you don't use any tpe of support, you just lst and supercrop, does the supercropping prevent u from neding support, i have use it before, not to the extreme, and remember the knots formed..:cool0041: peace burn

D

Dmassive

Although you're probably not on the farm the eve of your Beaver-Ducks civil war, i must express deep envy for your beautiful grow. Following a very similar system as yours, i'm interested in how you obtain such an even, full canopy. When you refer to 'bending' the side growth, are you super-cropping (stem break) or tying them down more LST style? Do you FIM at all? Thank you very much, and congrats on such an impressive mastery of technique.

I don't FIM because it causes my plants to be way too bushy and I end up cutting out a whole bunch of branches anyway.

I personally don't super crop. I see it as an extra level of stress I don't like putting on my plants. On the flip side though I have friends who super crop and have great success with it.

I start my training right from the point my clones are moved from little 4" round pots to the #2 sized pots that they will stay in.

Please excuse my diagram as I am a terrible artist. :winking0067:

But as you can see, when I re-pot my plants I put them in at a 45 degree angle. This starts them facing the way I want them to go. This also cuts down on the amount I have to bend them to keep them growing horizontally. Less bend = less stress. I then tie the main stem to the pot (this is the only LST I do).

Now what I do that is similar to super cropping is crushing the stem. The difference though is that I don't then pull the branch down so that it causes a 90 degree bend.

When I say crush, what I mean is gently putting pressure on the branch between two fingers just until the feel the first little pop that signals the branch is giving way. At this point the branch should still be able to stand up on its own, if it can't you over did it.

Now I do this "crushing" at several different spots on a branch, not just one like the super cropping technique. Several smaller crushes allows me to bend the branch without causing that harsh 90 degree angle. The goal is to keep the branches all at a perfect flat horizontal line. This way the plant can't tell which branch is at the highest elevation and thus causes the plant to put energy into all the side branches equally.

This "crushing" is only done with branches that are showing a lot of stretch an are flimsy. The majority of branches should be flimsy, they should be solid and shouldn't need crushing. For the ones that don't require the crushing I simple just bend them over. I start at the point on the branch that is closest to the main stem. Slowly bend and move your way out from the main stem bending all the way to the tip of the branch. If you try to do all your bending in only one spot on the branch instead of the entire length, you will break your branch. Breaking branches will happen with this technique and is not the end of the world. If you break one off, the energy will just be diverted to the other branches and everything will be fine.

Remember if your branches can't hold a straight horizontal position without support then you over did it with the "crushing" of the branch.

This technique will produce 20-30 medium to large sized bud sites as opposed to the vertical grow that produces 4-8 donkey sized colas. I like this for a few reasons.

1. You don't need a ton of head space in your grow room. You can get great yield without tall ceilings.

2. I don't run into mold problems as much as the people who grow the few super donkey sized buds. Ya they look pretty, but when you start trimming and find mold inside your donkey buds you end up having the throw a lot of precious bud out.

3. Unless you are growing 4-6 feet tall plants indoors, my technique will consistently produce more per plant.

Ok, that was a long post! Sorry I wrote a novel. :cool0041:

Sideways plant
R

Rolln J

was a good how to - thanks for that! I showed your pics to a few friends who were over for poker last night - they were in awe!

D

Dmassive

nice man, so you don't use any tpe of support, you just lst and supercrop, does the supercropping prevent u from neding support, i have use it before, not to the extreme, and remember the knots formed..:cool0041: peace burn

I don't super crop per say as I wrote in my novel of a post above.

But yes, my technique causes the branches to become thick and get knots on them. This combined with the fact that I am not growing super donkey sized buds that really weigh down individual branches, allows for me to not need any support.

D

Dmassive

Oh, a quick note that I forgot to mention. I do my "bending" on a daily basis. If you do the "crushing" part right you do just a little damage to the branch that is quickly repaired overnight.

When you get up the next day the branches should already have corrected themselves anywhere from a little bit to completely (unlike super cropping which takes days to repair).

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
was a good how to - thanks for that! I showed your pics to a few friends who were over for poker last night - they were in awe!
Hell yeah!!! That was a good write-up... Not a novel in my lengthy standards either! I tend to do both supercropping and pinching, but I think I need to pinch for a few days in a row to make sure the plant's hormones are properly diverted cuz the plant healing overnight with that method makes sense.

BTW Rolln J... I've got a custom poker table too and I love me some No Limit Texas Hold'em. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom