Back at it! Strawberry Cough & Black Destroyer

• Thread starter just.blaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
just.blaze

just.blaze

It's been five years away from growing but I'm finally back at it! After navigating through a turbulent living situation I'm finally in a position to start cultivating cannabis again. I'm really starting up from scratch and improvising as I go, but I hope to make it work for my personal (medicinal) needs :cool:

My setup is simple, small and certainly on the budget end, but so far it has been treating my plants well.

My goal is to harvest an even quarter pound, however i've never grown on this small of a scale before, so we will see :lurking:

SETUP:
60x60cm Mammoth Classic Grow Tent
250w MH/HPS Sonlight Digital Ballast
105CFM Helical Extractor Fan + 100mm Can-Lite Carbon Filter
BioGreen Light-Mix
CELLMAX Nutrients + BioBizz Algamic & Bud Candy for Flower

SEEDS:
2 x Original Strawberry Cough feminized by Dinafem Seeds (Kyle Kushman clone bx)
2 x Black Destroyer feminized by Original Sensible Seeds (Black Domina X AK-47)

seeds1.jpg

Sept 1 - Seeds soaked in water for 12 hours and placed in peat pellets

Sept 4 - 4/4 Germinated, taproots sprouted and first cotelydons emerged, mixture of sunlight and flouros for the first 48 hours

germ.jpg

Sept 6 - Seedlings fully rooted and pellets transplanted into 0.25L pots w/ Light-Mix and placed in tent

veg_06.jpg

closet_setup.jpg

Sept 9 - Seedlings given first feeding of rootbooster (50% strength)

Sept 14 - 5-blade leaves emerged, given light feeding of rootbooster & earth grow

veg_14.jpg

Sept 17 - Transplanted into 11L pots (next time I will add 10L of expanded clay pellets to the Light-Mix in order to fill the pot completely and add extra soil aeration)

veg_17_1.jpg

Sept 20 - 3 plants topped at 5th node, the runty SBC was topped at 4th node

Sept 23 - 6 Days after transplant, first full strength feeding of earth grow, LST begun

veg_23.jpg

Sept 27 - 1 week after topping, next time I will top and LST about 1 week earlier, flipping to flower soon

veg_27.jpg

Sept 30 - The tent is filling out nicely so I gave them first feeding of bloom nutes... HPS bulb screwed in and 12/12 started :)

Black Destroyer in back, Strawberry Cough in front:

flower_1.jpg

I've been running a 16/8 veg cycle to let the undergrowth stretch a little after topping/LST and to save power. I water as needed with tap water adjusted to 6.2-6.4 pH and they have been on a gradually increasing feeding schedule. No EC meter yet, so I cant comment on ppm levels. The first two weeks I was battling an indian summer and the tent hit 88F (3-4 degrees above ambient room temps). Since mid September the temps have stayed around 78F, dropping to 66F at night, and humidity ranging from 40-65%.

Node spacing is nice and tight and the plants have definitely taken well to their 11L pots. One strawberry was slightly stunted in the beginning but did pretty well in catching up after the transplant. Phenotypes from both strains also seem fairly uniform in structure, but i'll write up a pheno report during flowering. All four plants smell very pungent and hazy, the SBC fruity, the BD more earthy/musky.

Stay Tuned
- just.blaze :cigar:

just.blaze

just.blaze

I've been trying a combination of LST and supercropping to keep the canopy level... so far its working alright. First round of trimming today, I figure keeping the main 6-8 tops and focusing all of the light on them will yield the best results. Gotta get some light movers to make my life easier, right now I'm just mounting the reflector with paracord.

The SBCs both seem slower to stretch but still growing well, the runty SBC keeping pace with the vigorous other three. The big SBC is a clear winner right now, she's already stinking like some ferocious haze! The BD is stretching much more noticeably and starting to smell up the tent nicely. Pistils showing on all four now :D so I'm in business. Going to be giving them a full feeding within the next week.

Day 3 of Flower

Black Destroyer 1 & 2
day3_bd.jpg

Strawberry Cough - #1 is runty but fruity & #2 big, bushy and stinky
day3_sbc.jpg

Stay Tuned :cigar:

just.blaze

just.blaze

Day 7 - BD has already stretched to 2 times its original size, SBC is also stretching nicely but staying bushy. Second round of trimming and first full strength feeding today; they were plenty thirsty as they soaked up 1L of water through the drainage holes in a few minutes.

Hard to tell the difference but SBC in front, DB in back

day7.jpg

day7_1.jpg

Also got some light movers and my life is suddenly 100% easier :D Keeping the bulb 7-8" above the canopy at the moment.

light_movers.jpg

I'm going to do one final round of trimming in a few days as they settle into size and then pack on the nutes... from the looks of it I can almost guarantee the SBC will need at least +60 days, while the BD might finish up in 56 days as advertised. We will see.

Stay Tuned :cigar:

just.blaze

just.blaze

The Black Destroyer is now stretching to about 3x its original size... the SBC still staying pretty squat so I had to raise the pots 5" to even out the canopy. Hope the stretching stops soon, I still have at least 12" of space but keeping the canopy level is getting a little tricky.

Pistils starting to show on all tops... SBC is still stinking like a thick fruity haze with undertones of some kind of fuel/turpentine. BD is also hazy but more earthy/musky/kushy with tones of mint. Both smell delicious :D and are growing according to their breeder's description.

CanLite filter doing its job

carbonfilter.jpg

Ill throw up some pics of pistil formation in a couple of days

Stay tuned :cigar:

Tanaks

Tanaks

nice! looking good for the size your working with..and quick question i noticed on your pics the one where you germinated the seeds (sept1)...did you just put the seed on top? or did you you bury the seed in the peat pellets?

just.blaze

just.blaze

nice! looking good for the size your working with..and quick question i noticed on your pics the one where you germinated the seeds (sept1)...did you just put the seed on top? or did you you bury the seed in the peat pellets?

Thanks dude, buried the seeds about 1/4" in the peat pellets and lightly covered them with peat moss. The one that looks like it's just laying there had sprouted a taproot already.

just.blaze

just.blaze

Day 14 of Flower

I've shortened the light cycle to 11/13 to try and the stop the BD from stretching any more as i'm slowly running out of room... it's not an issue yet and hopefully won't be as the plants seem to have settled into size.

The SBC has stretched into a nice top-heavy bush, maintaining good internode distance. Definitely easy to deal with in small grow areas... and a perfect candidate for a SCROG. All four plants are still looking nice and green, so i'm feeding at 50% strength every time I water (twice weekly) and they seem to be loving it.

Slowly running out of room hehe...
day_14_0.jpg

The canopy about 6" under 250w hps
day_14_1.jpg

day_14_2.jpg

Pistil Formation on the SBC :D

day_14_3.jpg

day_14_4.jpg

day_14_5.jpg

Things are starting to heat up,
Stay Tuned
-just.blaze :cigar:

just.blaze

just.blaze

Thanks for stopping by everyone :D

How did I miss this! Subbed. And looking great so far. That soil and perlite your using? Or coco?

@irishboiii Just straight Light-Mix, it actually surprised me how much they like it. Next time i'll probably mix in some clay pebbles just to add some volume and extra aeration.

just.blaze

just.blaze

Alright I finally got an opportunity to take some pics when the lights went off.

I've been battling an aggressive stretch from all four, ran out of room and was forced to supercrop a few branches. It looks like the topsites are growing right into the light, but I have managed to tie them into a neat little canopy that surrounds the 250w bulb... as long as I ventilate well there is no light burn, even being as close as 4" :D

On that note, i'll DEFINITELY be scrogging this tent out next time... I guess that's going to be mandatory with 3' of vertical space.

DAY 26 of flower

20141025_190244.jpg

20141025_190258.jpg

Black Destroyer #1 in the back, hard to get a picture but its by FAR the frostiest bitch in the tent :D Looks like a real winner and smells like dank pepper.
20141025_190309.jpg

Strawberry Cough stacking up
20141025_190409.jpg

Getting Frosty... and smelling oh so sweet.
20141025_190439.jpg

20141025_190647.jpg

Still hoping that I can squeeze out 1/4 lb from this grow but the stretch has been a real bitch. Scrogging these ladies would yield 0.5 per watt easy.

Stay Tuned :cool:
-just.blaze

Top Bottom