Back In The Day

• Thread starter Injoyslife
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Injoyslife

A little story followed by a few questions
It seems growing has gotten very complicated . Perhaps because the majority are growing indoors?

Story:

Back In the day I lived on the island of kauai up in the Homesteads just out of Kappa town.

We would put a handful of seeds in a tall styrafoam (sp?) cup, fill it with tap water and wait for them to sprout.

Once they did we'd carefully grap up a few and put them in soil filled smaller styrafoam cups and soak them with miracle grow and water solution.

The cups were put on large plastic bread trays which kept the cups off the ground and allowed water drainage then placed out side under a mesh screen and watered when necessary.

Once they reached 6" or so they were transplanted one more time into large tumbler sized cups, watered with miracle grow and water solition and put back under mesh.

When they got to a foot, each were taken out of there cups and laid on their sides into coolers and backs packs.

Now the real work began hiking them up into the ravens finding the perfect spot to plant several patches in different locations.

They were visited just a few times during their growth cycle. First was to locate any male plants and pull out the weak ones. Second to check progress and cut fan leaves, the third to harvest. From start to finish relatively simple.

Today it appears to be a much more of a scientific parts per parts of one thing or another. And unfortunately I am no scientist.

Questions:

As one might gather I am at a loss. I have a one car sized garage. Is there anyone who can share their knowledge on a method they've found works best for indoor growing. Such as the use of a tent to keep them isolated. Best grow lights and space between each plant etc. Anything would be very appreciated.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

People buy inert mediums, then try to feed their plants. Fertile soil is mythological to the modern grower. Just IV the plants with some Miracle-Gro! "Oh and here's a catalogue of product to solve all the problems this methodology causes"

I get my soil from 1500 miles away. I guess since that's what I used back in the day it doesn't confuse me. What confuses me is people who think weed needs all the confusion to be grown properly instead of a mineral rich, organic rich, microbial rich soil that balances itself 95% of the time.

We used to grow weed without knowing what photo period meant. It smoked fine. Now it's "can i feed boosters the day after harvest on a 11.9/12.1 schedule?" people wanna figure out an exact number of how much shit you can pump into a plant and still maintain a green color. You dont have to grow like that.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Cannabis grown 20 even 30+yrs ago doesn' even compare to the potency we can achieve now a days. I have pictures of my dad growing back in the day before was even born.

My uncle smokes back in the 'nam days. He smoked a pinner of my gg4 and pretty much was done after a few times.

I

Injoyslife

What an incredible write! Check this out: back then I had no idea the
fertilizer
People buy inert mediums, then try to feed their plants. Fertile soil is mythological to the modern grower. Just IV the plants with some Miracle-Gro! "Oh and here's a catalogue of product to solve all the problems this methodology causes"

I get my soil from 1500 miles away. I guess since that's what I used back in the day it doesn't confuse me. What confuses me is people who think weed needs all the confusion to be grown properly instead of a mineral rich, organic rich, microbial rich soil that balances itself 95% of the time.

We used to grow weed without knowing what photo period meant. It smoked fine. Now it's "can i feed boosters the day after harvest on a 11.9/12.1 schedule?" people wanna figure out an exact number of how much shit you can pump into a plant and still maintain a green color. You dont have to grow like that.

I

Injoyslife

What an incredible write ripped torn! Check this out: Back then I had no idea the fertilizer, namely Scotts Miracle Grow was purely an formulated chemically. Mid 2016 I had been encouraged to buy shares in the company before the next big rushand did so.

But you know after doing a little research on the company as a whole including other kinds of products they manufacture....I sold my shares and will not endorse any product they make.

Good rich soil and organic nutrients ... nature knows....its like we have all these little wanna be grow God's who, as in many sectors do not consider humanities well being, but rather maximizing yields for monster profits.
I appreciate your time and your thoughts on the subject helping me to remember simplicity and also assuring me I don't need a PhD.

Kindly, joy

C

Cannibal Joe

What an incredible write ripped torn! Check this out: Back then I had no idea the fertilizer, namely Scotts Miracle Grow was purely an formulated chemically. Mid 2016 I had been encouraged to buy shares in the company before the next big rushand did so.

But you know after doing a little research on the company as a whole including other kinds of products they manufacture....I sold my shares and will not endorse any product they make.

Good rich soil and organic nutrients ... nature knows....its like we have all these little wanna be grow God's who, as in many sectors do not consider humanities well being, but rather maximizing yields for monster profits.
I appreciate your time and your thoughts on the subject helping me to remember simplicity and also assuring me I don't need a PhD.

Kindly, joy
Right on! St.Augustine grass clippings , pecan leaves,red oak leaves,( to add acidity a bit ), scraps from the dinner table , coffee grounds,and 1000 earthworms how great, Just put spring plants out for God's sun rays.Bestest time of the year.

C

Cannibal Joe

Yes that's the way I started back in the day I'm 60 year old now. But theses days I use dwc super fast growth imo
Nice to know there's another 70's groover out there, hope you didn't disco.Keep on truckin'

C

Cannibal Joe

Make several clones (3 or 4), try different mix's see what happens.I do this in a separate grow I use for testing nute mix's and new types of lighting

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

This may be subjective to much opinion, but I will stand behind this soil reciper Search "Subcool's Super Soil". Build your own soil mix with organic ingredients. Choose a line of liquid nutrients to use in supplement to that soil. You won't have to use much because your soil will be well packed with the goodies. Once you build a soil and set it aside to cook for a bit, set up your garage with a veg area. Tent, built enclosure, or in the open is up to you. You just need to try and control the environment. Essential variables include, temp, humidity, air circulation, light and water supply. Get a thermostat/hydrometer for reference. Choose a light. That's another topic for opinion. Research. My only advice other than research and do some homework before popping beans is do some research and get everything in place first. Much less stressful than dealing with plants and no place to grow them. Happy farming.

C

Cannibal Joe

This may be subjective to much opinion, but I will stand behind this soil reciper Search "Subcool's Super Soil". Build your own soil mix with organic ingredients. Choose a line of liquid nutrients to use in supplement to that soil. You won't have to use much because your soil will be well packed with the goodies. Once you build a soil and set it aside to cook for a bit, set up your garage with a veg area. Tent, built enclosure, or in the open is up to you. You just need to try and control the environment. Essential variables include, temp, humidity, air circulation, light and water supply. Get a thermostat/hydrometer for reference. Choose a light. That's another topic for opinion. Research. My only advice other than research and do some homework before popping beans is do some research and get everything in place first. Much less stressful than dealing with plants and no place to grow them. Happy farming.
10-40 , will look up super cool's , check it out , made 3 yards of my on , Smoke on !

Rcubed

Rcubed

Cannabis grown 20 even 30+yrs ago doesn' even compare to the potency we can achieve now a days. I have pictures of my dad growing back in the day before was even born.

My uncle smokes back in the 'nam days. He smoked a pinner of my gg4 and pretty much was done after a few times.
That's the truth. I took a 30 year break and just started growing again last year. I thought I was growing the good stuff because Big Bud was great in the 80's. I still like it, but I'm getting with the program and I just popped some gg4, white widow, OG Kush, and Northern Lights and I have GSC, GDP, and Chem on their way. Gotta go with the flow

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

That's the truth. I took a 30 year break and just started growing again last year. I thought I was growing the good stuff because Big Bud was great in the 80's. I still like it, but I'm getting with the program and I just popped some gg4, white widow, OG Kush, and Northern Lights and I have GSC, GDP, and Chem on their way. Gotta go with the flow
Old dog new tricks.

C

Cannibal Joe

Ain't that the truth I' m growing bubba kush , and nothern lights cross right now hope this will be good. Just can't seem to get high any more , this might do the trick.

Top Bottom