Backcrossing ??'s

• Thread starter supasticky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

supasticky

Okay so,

You get a male and female plant, cross them, and get seeds.

You grow the seeds, find the best plants of the bundle(female AND male?)..and what do you do after that?

What do you backcross it to? The original male and female plants are long gone..they had to flower to make the seeds.

Please help, I want to start making my own strains soon. What are other methods of breeding?

All future info. is much appreciated.

-Supa

:character0004:

CBF

CBF

Supporter
man bro, obviously you dont know nothin about breedin let alone makin a seed.

not bustin ya balls bro, but you need to do some readin, what your askin is huge. start with google search, and search MJ breeding, mendel, clark, ........theres a ton of info online on the topic, get some info in your noggin and then ask ?s on what your not understandin.

CBF

CBF

CBF

Supporter
also theres a few threads on basic breeding, search Texas Kid threads.

CBF

S

supasticky

Yah I read that thread, but it's about basic breeding. I want to know specifically about backcrossing.

CBF

CBF

Supporter
Yah I read that thread, but it's about basic breeding. I want to know specifically about backcrossing.

did you searh backcross on google?

did ya do anything other then read TKs thread?

"What do you backcross it to? The original male and female plants are long gone..they had to flower to make the seeds."

since ya dont have a recurrent parent, you dont have anything to backcross to.

CBF

S

supasticky

HYBRID
By crossing two not related plants you will create a hybrid. These newly created plants are called F1. If the F1 plants are backcrossed to the mother then their offspring often will be called F2. Also F1 crossings between brothers and sisters are called F2 and sometimes even crossings between F1 plants of different lines are called F2.

ok..

To make seeds you must pollenate the Mother Plant. It takes time to make the seeds, 3-6 weeks, and by that time the mother is in the late stages of her life. Once a plant is induced into flowering it starts its long march of death..

So my first question is..how the hell do you keep the mother alive long enough to cross it, once again, to its offspring?

My second question is, don't you find the genetic characteristics that you want to keep on female plants that can't be physically crossed with the mother plant? Do you have to choose good males from the F1 generation and cross them or is there something I'm just missing in this procedure?

Someone actually give me some answers. Please.

-Supa

R

ReelBusy1

did you read this one?

But to answer your most basic question....

There are several ways to preserve the Mom and Dad of the seeds you made.
One way is too clone them before breeding and save the genetics that way through the clones that you grow out later.
The other is to clone them and make the seeds form the clones of the male and female parents, then after a round of clones have been brought to flower so you can see the attributes of the parents and choose which ones you want to save.

However there is a reason you are getting some blowback for your post:

Anyone can make a round of seeds by crossing a male and female MJ plant.

Real selective breeding takes a lot of time like I just described and most here are very dedicated to this concept.

I am finishing a very minor breeding project right now that I have essentially been working on for two years with just the Mother grow-outs and pheno selection taking over a year or so.

Grab Greg Green's book The Cannabis Breeders Bible and DJ Short's book for some real good reads that will send you down the best path for cannabis breeding success.

I hope this helps, good luck with everything.

R

ReelBusy1

My second question is, don't you find the genetic characteristics that you want to keep on female plants that can't be physically crossed with the mother plant? Do you have to choose good males from the F1 generation and cross them or is there something I'm just missing in this procedure?

IMHO, I am not the best scientist/botanist here for this explainantion, however

Both the males and females will exhibit characteristics that you want to save.

The mom is easy, she's the one making seeds and is usually dominate in the breeding process, so if the phenos that you like are there the trick is to preserve those traits or extend them by selecting a male that accomplishes/exemplifies those traits too.

Whether you are using a male or female to go back to the F1 parent the goal is the same.

Trying to say this in plain speak, is it making sense to you?

S

supasticky

Ok, i didnt even think about that. thanks for answering my question.

B

bicycle racer

not to be a dick but do some research before asking questions you should already know if you plan to breed and be reasonably good at it making fems backcrossing etc are all easily accomplished with knowledge space and time. you should be reading and studying for a long time before you begin asking questions if you do that you will do well if your lazy in educating yourself you wont do well simple. breeding and understanding breeding cannabis is not rocket science and relatively easy dont let anyone fool you. a basic understanding of biology is all you need that and good genetics to work with.:stonedsmilie:

M

mrcannabreeder1

Okay so,

You get a male and female plant, cross them, and get seeds.

You grow the seeds, find the best plants of the bundle(female AND male?)..and what do you do after that?

What do you backcross it to? The original male and female plants are long gone..they had to flower to make the seeds.

Please help, I want to start making my own strains soon. What are other methods of breeding?

All future info. is much appreciated.

-Supa

:character0004:
Hello there so I've been breeding for a while I've got like 60 crosses done and another whole bunch im working on there's alot to it but like these others have said reading and studying can help you so what I did I pheno hunted for a long time and then I crossed strains toghter that I wanted to breed toghter I made f1 seeds I took clones from the mother prior to breeding her then once I got the f1 seeds from the parents I took a good male that I pheno hunted for I bred back to the original mother well clone of the original mother to start the backcrossing process you could also reveg the original mother which I've done then re bred her with a male but other way that is better and less time consuming and I back crossed 2 to 3 times got stable strain and then I like to keep mine as regular seeds but I have made feminzed seeds to and its not hard to do it all once you learn it no one is perfect everyone does it drifferenf do it the way it works for you buddy and there's nothing wrong with asking questions but yes reading up on stuff your self is good to I've delt with some really good breeders that have been around for years and I've got my hands on some killer genetics so I mean I've been busy and what really made me get in to it was my unlce God bless him he was an amazeing grower/breeder he saved so many genetics that he collected from back in the early 60s untill when he passes away a few years ago he left my my brother so many seeds some were all mixed so I've been pheno hunting and found some awsome phenos so yeah my next project is creating a new skunk strain and it's gonna smell so skunky it will knock your socks off lol you gonna have to bath in tomato juice after smoking it ill be working hard and for a while on this one anyways have a great day and keep growing and breeding my fellow growmie

Latest posts

Top Bottom