Bad Batches of Coco Noir

• Thread starter Coco4Coco
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Coco4Coco

Has anyone else had problems with bad batches of Sunshine Brand Coco Coir...?
My self and another grower who has used coco for years
and never had problems had over 40% of transplant clones which were great roots, die within a day or 2 using Sunshine brand Coco....
He and I both switched brands to Botanicare and have had no problems or transplants dying.

Just wanted to warn people to be careful with this product
as I have asked around local and several people have reported problems to local Hydro Store as well..

Coco4Coco

J

Jalisco Kid

I had a bug ridden batch from empire organics, the owner will not answer my emails about it. Too bad I really liked both coirs they offered. One has really long hairs and the other one was real chunky. I hate pithy coir it ruins it for the reason you buy coir aeration and drainage.
Did you wash and rinse your coir? JK

A

Alekiboy

Don't know if it was Sunshine brand as it happened a while ago...
I was having 99% success and then I borrowed some coco coir from my neighbor because my hydro store was out... I lost all those clones.. they just wilted.....

I would try to use a brand from Sri Lanka as opposed to North American stuffs... I use
B'cuzz Coco Coir......
Check out this study on Coco and you will see why :)
STUDY

G

GroHi

If you're into bricks (I am... much easier to transport), then check out Atami's Bounce line... mostly coir chunks, some longer hairs, very little pith. Their normal steaming process & buffering, though I rinse & treat myself. Need to water frequently, though more forgiving vs rocks.

I like to mix 1 brick above w 1 brick CCGro... also long fibers mixed in w pith. Combo is next to ideal for moisture retention & wicking along with massive drainage. BTW, I rinse it all to ensure no issues as the manufacturers ALL vary between batches, even the "good" ones. Peace.

C

Cyproz

I have never used coco but i want to. Which brand of coco should i get and can i use 100% coco or do i need to mix it with something?

J

Jalisco Kid

That coir study above is flawed,as they did not rinse or charge their coir like we do. JK

B

BUDOGHI

You never know what you"ll get in the coco. I never had springtails before coco. Im growing out something I think is a citrus to ID, never had this before coco. The batch my seedling came out of had hundeds of these seeds and they all sprouted (kind of spooky if you are concerned with invasive species). I also have Ph issues I didn't have before coco (higher). The study above seems to explain a lot to me. I've been adding peat to my coco mix with good results. My next fresh mix will be 1/3 coco, 1/3 peat and 1/3 perlite. I always rinse my coco heavily before use.

Top Bottom