Bad news, America: The Polar Vortex is coming back!

• Thread starter neverbreak
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
neverbreak

neverbreak

Remember last year’s polar vortex? The record low temperatures? The steam rising from Lake Michigan? The water that froze mid-slosh?

It’s coming back.

AccuWeather reports:

Cold air will surge into the Northeast in late November, but the brunt of the season will hold off until January and February. The polar vortex, the culprit responsible for several days of below-zero temperatures last year, will slip down into the region from time to time, delivering blasts of arctic air.

“I think, primarily, we’ll see that happening in mid-January into February but again, it’s not going to be the same type of situation as we saw last year, not as persistent,” AccuWeather.com Expert Long-Range Forecaster Paul Pastelok said.

“The cold of last season was extreme because it was so persistent. We saw readings that we haven’t seen in a long time: 15- to 20-below-zero readings.”

Snow accumulation is also expected to be higher than usual, with especially heavy hits to Philadelphia and New York City.

According to CNN, a polar vortex is the “circulation of strong, upper-level winds that normally surround the northern pole in a counterclockwise direction.” Generally, these winds are confined to the region, but the winds have been known to distort, and dip much further south than usual.

neverbreak

north knect

north knect

True that haha..but with the stupid amount of rain we have been gettin here for the entire summer I have no idea how Mother Nature will have the precipitation to dump loads of snow..I thought the world was under a drought along with "global warming"..this year I saw more rain then ever along with only a handful of days above 25C degrees..seems like "global colding" in my parts lol

Supercharge

Supercharge

Global climate warming is based on the global average. It doesn't mean that everywhere will experience the same rise in temps, or experience drought. Some areas will experience more rain, others may even get colder at given points in time, but overall temperatures are rising. It's a slow process and not something we'll notice overnight. One thing we can expect more of is an increase in extreme weather events.

The graph below illustrates why this is so.

Angry Summer Increase in Temperature

north knect

north knect

But on a serious note..the extreme weather events this decade has been unreal compared to anything I've seen or my parents stories..I have an elderly(<80 yrs) whom said the storms we have had lately compare to nothing even he has saw in his life..he is old and has saw a lot of climates all over the world..even jokes about writing the farmers almanac book lol

Supercharge

Supercharge

@north knect, LOL no problem bro. Climate and climate change is a complex topic. One of the biggest problems with the whole debate is the difficulty in understanding it.

Here are a series of very simplified slides on the topic which are easy to understand.

Reallycorrect slide 2 100913

Hotter air increases ocean evaporation, and a warmer atmosphere also can hold more water than a cooler atmosphere. This warmer, more moist atmosphere can intensify weather events.

Correct slide 3 100913 2

Bigger storms, higher storm surges
Larger storms in recent years are exemplifying what climate models are predicting: more powerful, with unprecedented storm surges.

Slide 3 041813 0

Wacky winter weather
On winter days when the temperatures are below freezing, the snowfall may be record breaking because there is more moisture in the atmosphere.

Slide 4 042913 0

Scorching heat
The 10 warmest years globally have all occurred in the past 15 years.

Slide 5 041813 0

Droughts and wildfires for the record books
Shifting air currents carry moisture away from dry areas, making parched areas prone to wildfires.

north knect

north knect

That was oddly very easy to understand..either these meds are making me comprehend things a lot better or my ecology profs were just highly payed push-overs lmao..my money is on a bit of both haha..

north knect

north knect

Makes sense with hotter summers creates more moisture in the atmosphere come time winter..it's just crazy to think that the temps can change so drastically over the course of let's say 2 months..I'm located in northern Ontario Canada and just 2weeks ago it was 20degres Celsius average..we have hit below freezing already since and I'm sure it will b an average of -20 within 6 weeks..with an over all high/low of a 50degree Celsius change in 8 weeks..just blows my mind (sound effects). "Boooooommmmm!!!@"$$$"

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I think days are consistent with what i always remember and don't feel the change but the nights are much colder and first freeze comes sooner, and last freeze is coming a lil later but not sure so I guess it's time to research trend of first and last freeze....

Top Bottom