Badly Stunted, Yellowing Seedling, Newbie Needs Your Help!

• Thread starter SouthGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SouthGrower

SouthGrower

Hello guys, I´m a newbie grower in need of help: as you can see in the photo below, this seedling is looking sickly, note the yellowing and the washed out white older leaves.

Nena sick

Kindly take a look at the pic above and let me know what the problem could be (nutrient deficiency, wrong pH, etc).

Thanks in advance!

Stumpy420

Stumpy420

We need a little more info, media, current ph and nutes... I can tell you at that young they still don't need much nutes. Are those leaves crispy? What kinda light? Etc....

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
lockedout ...poor lil ones need flushed
don't feed just water

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

They are suffocating and will soon die.
The container is too large and so, too wet.

Tiny plants have tiny roots.
They will take several days to use enough water to let air get to the roots .
Root's need oxygen. Water that stands for several days goes stagnant and has none to give.
That, and anaerobic bacteria will begin to bloom.

Might still be savable.

Dig 'em up, gently.
Rinse the roots with fresh, aerated water.
Re-pot them into smaller containers, one plant per pot, please.
In moist, not wet, medium.

How moist? Make a mudball, if it holds together, it's too wet.
Just right, it should crumble under it's own weight.
Do not pack the soil tight, you want as much air space as possible.
And shake the water well just before applying to get some air dissolved in it.

And by water, I mean water.
Do not add any nutrients until the 4th set of leaves.
Then start with 1/4 dose and work your way up.

Then, do not water them again until they get quite dry, just before they start to droop.
Check that by weighing the container.
Weigh one contained with bone-dry soil in it, water it to runoff and weigh it again.
Let one get droopy, then weigh again.
Now you know the range and, approximately how much water to give them.

That said, 'twere me, I'd start over.
Just don't love them to death this time. :)

Good luck,
Weezard

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Looks like you have been spraying her with the water bottle that you use to scare the cat off of the couch. Why are there water drops on her?

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace

Tiny plants have tiny roots.
They will take several days to use enough water to let air get to the roots .
Root's need oxygen. Water that stands for several days goes stagnant and has none to give.
That, and anaerobic bacteria will begin to bloom.

Might still be savable.

Dig 'em up, gently.
Rinse the roots with fresh, aerated water.
Re-pot them into smaller containers, one plant per pot, please.
In moist, not wet, medium.

How moist? Make a mudball, if it holds together, it's too wet.
Just right, it should crumble under it's own weight.
Do not pack the soil tight, you want as much air space as possible.
And shake the water well just before applying to get some air dissolved in it.

And by water, I mean water.
Do not add any nutrients until the 4th set of leaves.
Then start with 1/4 dose and work your way up.

Then, do not water them again until they get quite dry, just before they start to droop.
Check that by weighing the container.
Weigh one contained with bone-dry soil in it, water it to runoff and weigh it again.
Let one get droopy, then weigh again.
Now you know the range and, approximately how much water to give them.

That said, 'twere me, I'd start over.
Just don't love them to death this time. :)

Good luck,
Weezard
What he said.

SouthGrower

SouthGrower

Thanks guys for all of your replies, it´s much appreciated. Let´s see:

We need a little more info, media, current ph and nutes... I can tell you at that young they still don't need much nutes. Are those leaves crispy? What kinda light? Etc....

Medium: peat moss mix sold locally (here in South America)
Current pH: no idea, need to test. The soil bag says pH is "optimum" for this endeavor.
Nutes: none added.
Light: 400w high pressure sodium

lockedout ...poor lil ones need flushed
don't feed just water

Thanks, as you can see in the photo below, I washed the root itself.

Dig 'em up, gently. Rinse the roots with fresh, aerated water.
Re-pot them into smaller containers, one plant per pot, please. In moist, not wet, medium.

As you can see in the pic below, followed your advice and rinsed the roots, repotted in smaller container with moist, lightly packed medium. I did not start over because it´s is the last of three Dutch seeds I bought by mail which cost me an arm and a leg relative to local (South America) prices due to euro to peso exchange rates.

Nena2 sick

Looks like you have been spraying her with the water bottle that you use to scare the cat off of the couch. Why are there water drops on her?

Ooops I´d just watered the plant under the fawcet

What he said.

Thanks ShroomKing, rinsed the roots, repotted in smaller container.

Thanks everyone, keeping fingers crossed! Will update you guys

Stumpy420

Stumpy420

400w might be toouch for a seedling... got any fluorescent shop lights or cfl's? I grew mine to 12" on 55w of light

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
400W is fine for a seedling, they'll grow under full direct sun, it's what they're engineered to do. I've never grown or started in peat moss. If no nutrients are present, then my suggestion is to do a 1/8-1/4 strength feed, and figure out what the pH is in the root zone.

Junk

Junk

Cannabis seeds have just about everything they need for the first 10-14 days. In that time, you don't need to feed it nutes. If you are in soil though, you are feeding it with however you mixed your soil. So, if the soil mix you made is too hot, or the PH is off, you can get what you are getting.

I have a soil recipe that I worked on for almost a year. PM me if you want it. It's not cheap (part of why I moved to hydro, hydro for me was cheaper) but it's proven to work well with almost any strain. With this recipe, you don't need to start feeding until the week before flower if you don't want to, & even then it's good to check first as the plant may not need any nutes at all yet. I had a light feeding Sour Diesel that I only fed once the entire run.

For what you have above, I agree with whoever has said you need to flush those. Flush them out good & you will be ok. But you need to figure out your soil PH is & your NPK levels. The set of testers for that is $20. If you plan on growing, you need to have these. & any time you post with problems, post all the info you can. Light type, wattage, room size, temps, humidity, plant strain, what's the soil mix, the soil ph, your NPK levels, how often you water/feed...everything.

Sometimes, life will just not allow you the time to get all that info. Most of it is pretty easy to get & post. But it's the ones that take a couple minutes to get (soil ph, NPK levels) that are the most helpful. People here can diagnose almost any problem you could have, but they need that info.

& if you plant to grow good plants, you need to know those numbers.

SouthGrower

SouthGrower

400w might be toouch for a seedling... got any fluorescent shop lights or cfl's? I grew mine to 12" on 55w of light

Yes, I put them under a compact fluorescent and as you see in the photo, it is doing much better.

Nena healthy

400W is fine for a seedling, they'll grow under full direct sun, it's what they're engineered to do. I've never grown or started in peat moss. If no nutrients are present, then my suggestion is to do a 1/8-1/4 strength feed, and figure out what the pH is in the root zone.

Thanks for your advice, after flushing / washing the root it looked too puny to be under 400w and didn't want to kill the last feminized seed I had, so it's under a fluo but it will go back under the 400w soon.

Cannabis seeds have just about everything they need for the first 10-14 days. In that time, you don't need to feed it nutes. If you are in soil though, you are feeding it with however you mixed your soil. So, if the soil mix you made is too hot, or the PH is off, you can get what you are getting.

I have a soil recipe that I worked on for almost a year. PM me if you want it. It's not cheap (part of why I moved to hydro, hydro for me was cheaper) but it's proven to work well with almost any strain. With this recipe, you don't need to start feeding until the week before flower if you don't want to, & even then it's good to check first as the plant may not need any nutes at all yet. I had a light feeding Sour Diesel that I only fed once the entire run.

For what you have above, I agree with whoever has said you need to flush those. Flush them out good & you will be ok. But you need to figure out your soil PH is & your NPK levels. The set of testers for that is $20. If you plan on growing, you need to have these. & any time you post with problems, post all the info you can. Light type, wattage, room size, temps, humidity, plant strain, what's the soil mix, the soil ph, your NPK levels, how often you water/feed...everything.

Sometimes, life will just not allow you the time to get all that info. Most of it is pretty easy to get & post. But it's the ones that take a couple minutes to get (soil ph, NPK levels) that are the most helpful. People here can diagnose almost any problem you could have, but they need that info.

& if you plant to grow good plants, you need to know those numbers.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm taking them all into account and as you can see in the photo, the seedling is doing better now. The issue is that being in South America, access to sophisticated supplies, so for instance I don't think I'd find the ingredients if I were to try your soil recipe. Same with something as basic as a pH tester, not easy to find, only found a pH measuring gadget that I can't afford, it was going for a ton of money.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Yes, I put them under a compact fluorescent and as you see in the photo, it is doing much better.

View attachment 538143

Thanks for your advice, after flushing / washing the root it looked too puny to be under 400w and didn't want to kill the last feminized seed I had, so it's under a fluo but it will go back under the 400w soon.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm taking them all into account and as you can see in the photo, the seedling is doing better now. The issue is that being in South America, access to sophisticated supplies, so for instance I don't think I'd find the ingredients if I were to try your soil recipe. Same with something as basic as a pH tester, not easy to find, only found a pH measuring gadget that I can't afford, it was going for a ton of money.
You can't order from amazon.com in south america?

SouthGrower

SouthGrower

You can't order from amazon.com in south america?

The Government here restricts access to foreign currency and has imposed lock down on incoming mail orders (there is tremendous redtape, you have to apply for Government authorization *in advance* of your order, and even then you can only get stuff up to $50 dollars a year, and then there is the issue of the materials looking suspicious, because they open every package, etc.). It's a nightmare... it's like growing in North Korea.

Junk

Junk

View attachment 538143

I don't believe it has anything to do with the fluorescent light. So long as they are far away from direct heat from the light, the 400w is absolutely fine, I promise you. I veg from seed under a 600w MH. Just keep the light high if it's hot. You should be measuring temps at the leaf height. So long as it's 80-85 (ime, that's what those size plants want) they would very much enjoy extra light.

A fluorescent will work for the moment, but that seedling has enough leaves on it now that it would benefit from being under stronger light.

Simply going from memory, the main ingredients sere Sunshine soil-less medium with perlite & mykos, earthworm castings, powdered (Dolomite) lime, Jamaican Bat Guano (be careful with this, it can be hot) blood meal, bone meal, extra mykos, I'd have to look at the rest. It's nothing too sophisticated. But if you want to grow good plants, you have to give them good food. I grow them out till they are showing 5 leafers, then I transfer to the final pot.

One thing is for sure, the soil mix I'm talking about above (again, that is not complete, but it gives you an idea) runs about $350 here in the States. It isn't cheap.

For ph, I don't personally use meters. I prefer the General Hydroponic chemical tester. It's a little vial, fill halfway with water, add 3-5 drops of solution, shake, compare to colors on bottle. I find a chemical reaction to be more trustworthy than a meter. Cheaper too.

What part of S.A. are you in? I speak/write Portugues, I understand Spanish. Been to Brazil a couple times.

**Edit, I would also be planning to transplant that little girl soon into the final pot, a week or so.

Stumpy420

Stumpy420

As the other guy said, so long as it's far enough away it would have been fine, but if you are too close you can get bleaching in the leaves. That's why I said a cfl up close might be better... that and why do you need 400w for something that can grow just fine with 55w. Glad she pulled through for you my friende

Junk

Junk

that and why do you need 400w for something that can grow just fine with 55w. Glad she pulled through for you my friende

It's all about the spectrum my friend. If money is an issue, at least get a large CFL made for growing. Feliz makes the 6500K's. Apollo as well I think.

Top Bottom