Bag of Biology...GH Just Right Xtra Potting Mix...

• Thread starter Rocky Top
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Rocky Top

I just picked up a bag of this new soil. Has anyone had a chance to try it yet? I mix my own and usually add FF Ocean Forest but have noticed a bit more debris in the bags. I am going to run a few with this in place of the Ocean Forest for a comparison. Here are some specs and a link. Not tryin to pimp this soil...just letting people know it's out there and I will give a report in a month or so. It's a new product so we all need to know how good it is.

Just Right Xtra Potting Mix contains:

Cocotek Coconut Coir: a high quality, low sodium, medium contains pith, fibers and coconut chips. This blend creates a more diverse and less compact growing medium

Ancient Forest Humus: has incredible microbiological diversity the ultimate natural compost

Large Perlite: non-toxic sterile odorless material improves drainage and aeration that promotes strong root development

Premium Earthworm Castings: red Earthworms are fed and an all organic diet and vermicompost generated contains a diverse and abundant microbiological community

Miadenwell Diatomite Silica Stone: a rich source of plant available silica which is widely documented to stimulate dramatic growth in plants thereby increasing their resistance to disease

Rare Earth: derived from ancient seabed deposits of prophylactic clay that are blended with fulvate ore

SubCulture M: a mycorhizae root inoculant that contains a wide diversity of endo and ecto mycorrhizal fungi that colonize plant roots

SubCulture B: a probioticinoculum of beneficial microorganisms that will help increase the vitality and yield in all plants

Natural Sulfate of Potash is a natural potash mineral contains 51 percent potash 18 percent sulfur. It also contains trace amounts of calcium and magnesium. Potassium is second only to nitrogen in terms of the abundance needed for plants.

Bone Char contains more than 16% available phosphate (P2O5) and 32% total phosphate

For Optimum growth we recommend use of de-chlorinated water the first few weeks then and any of the Flora Series Supplements such as Flora Blend Compost tea.

Link...

K

Kushtard

that is some awesome soil that contains sub cultures. That, infact, caught my eye. Lol, nice. I am going to google that and look for prices. I have been using ocean foerest and organicare aeration mix together in heavy amended style that means I only have to feed water and the soil does the rest. My latest batch I have switched to peat and perlite with heavy NPK amendments. I am hoping to see some super awesome growth though I dont know how to improve on it.

For myco I added rooters to save money and of course the peace of mind products which all carry added in myco and bacteria! For any who do not know, peace of mind adds these to all products it looks like.

Nice soil. Looks like you could add some blood and have a good mix all the way through. Only water.:)

R

Rocky Top

Yup, it appears to be some good soil. I just used some in a mix I am trying and as soon as it "cooks" awhile, I will do a side by side with the FFOF soil mix I have used for years. I paid 17.95 for a 1.5 CY bag. I was paying 25.00 for a smae size bag of FF Ocean Forest. I have been disapponted with the trash I have found in the last few bags of FFOF. When I was at my local grow shop, the owner was telling me about this new soil. He said he was selling as much of it as he was FFOF. He said the reviews he was getting were outstanding. I should know in about 6-8 weeks if not sooner.

R

Rocky Top

where can we get this stuff? local box shops or online?

I got mine locally. It is supposed to be new so I am not sure what online stores have it. Check locally...surely they will have it. Good luck.

R

RPMs

Yup, it appears to be some good soil. I just used some in a mix I am trying and as soon as it "cooks" awhile, I will do a side by side with the FFOF soil mix I have used for years. I paid 17.95 for a 1.5 CY bag. I was paying 25.00 for a smae size bag of FF Ocean Forest. I have been disapponted with the trash I have found in the last few bags of FFOF. When I was at my local grow shop, the owner was telling me about this new soil. He said he was selling as much of it as he was FFOF. He said the reviews he was getting were outstanding. I should know in about 6-8 weeks if not sooner.

Do you have an update yet? Am thinking of starting some seeds in this.

oil

oil

Ive used this stuff. I add some perlite, castings, and dolomite, then just follow the GO feed chart with great results. No ph'ing necessary. Its not like FFOF at all. There is barely any nutrients in it so you have to feed almost every time you water.

O

organic.novice

thanks man. i read somewhere it starts out 1500 ppm so i havent fed yet but that could explain why all my plants look nitrogen def.

oil

oil

yeah there are no nutes in there. I thought I was either burning my plants or that there was some sort of lock out from my ph or something. Use General Organics and follow the directions. 1 tsp per gallon of cal/mag and 1-2 tsp per gallon of bloom or grow food almost every feeding. I basically started following the GO feed chart and everything has looked great since then.

O

organic.novice

true man. right now i got maxibloom and some botanicare cal mag so ill be using those for now. thanks for the response man! couldnt find much about this stuff anywhere

oil

oil

Your feeding schedule will probably have to be different since you are using synthetic nutes. You will probably have to keep an eye on the ph as well.

O

organic.novice

yeah i am starting out very light on them and if they look like the want more i will slowly up it.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

First off, this dude hasn't posted on this thread since 2009 and I'm not talking shit, but I got something to say about it. He says he got a 1.5 CY (cubic yards) bag, which equals about 13.5 cubic feet. Now think about that, they don't even sell bags that size so he obviously meant 1.5 cubic feet, not yards. Then he says he paid $25 for a small bag of FF Ocean Forest, well I get 1.5 cubic foot bags of FFOF for $25, so he's only paying $7 more for the FFOF.

The main reason FFOF cost only $7 more per bag is because it has plenty of organic nutrients to sustain a plant for the first 2-4 weeks of its life and just like oil said, the Xtra potting mix has almost no nutrients, therefore it will not sustain a plant for multiple weeks like OF will.

I ain't pimping FFOF, I'm just stating the facts, so when fellow growers read this thread they know the truth about both soil's because I hate to see anyone from amateur to expert growers misguided by false and/or incomplete information. Good luck to all and stay safe.

O

organic.novice

thanks for stoping in man! Im aware there was some misinformation in this thread but i was just curious how his experiences with this soil.

I'm very aware of FFOF, it has been praised all over the forums since i first started researching into this stuff.

I chose not to go with FFOF though because I've heaard its full of all kinds of bugs by the time its gets to the east coast, thats just what i heard tho.

either way i appreicate you stopping in and trying to clear some things up!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

thanks for stoping in man! Im aware there was some misinformation in this thread but i was just curious how his experiences with this soil.

I'm very aware of FFOF, it has been praised all over the forums since i first started researching into this stuff.

I chose not to go with FFOF though because I've heaard its full of all kinds of bugs by the time its gets to the east coast, thats just what i heard tho.

either way i appreicate you stopping in and trying to clear some things up!

No prob, theres plenty of great potting soils out there, FFOF is one that I like to use, but I use other soil too. When it comes to bugs, thats the chance we all take when growing in soil, bugs can get into any soil, from Sunshine #4 to FFOF to Roots Organics. If I see bugs I just get a cheap bottle of "fruit and vegetable insectiside" (its safe on fruits and veges) and that usually takes care of them.

oil

oil

Thats the nice part about Just right extra, its very sterile. I have heard of Roots organics soil carrying fungus gnats, although I never noticed this in FFOF. If you want nutes in the soil just add a cup of mixed dry ferts to your mix. You can get a bag of dr earth organics dry fertilizer for $10 and it will last a long time. This will make it equivalent to ffof or roots. If you want to save money just go get a yard of loam for $45 and some compost, and make your own mix.

Cam Berns

Cam Berns

Looking into buying a bag of Just Right Xtra....maybe about 3 - 1.5 cu. ct. bags .Just popped some Critical Kush seeds, and a Trueberry .

Tnelz

Tnelz

I've used it. Still have half a bag. Its ok. Coco loco from fox farm is a better product after using both next to each other. Just right is coco though. Not soil. U should treat it like a soikess medium for best results. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom