Bakedreality's Simple Builds And Feed Schedule..

• Thread starter BakedReality
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
Ok I have been asked for this on a couple of sites and from a few different people...so I will attempt to do a simple build that will work for anyone from newbie to long time grower....

I will start with a simple DWC build...

I start with a basic tote with a lid...this is an example of a tote I used for my own personal preferences and the footprint...it worked for my situation. Don't get stuck on the tub...like I said the tub comes down to personal preference...

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule

These are the only tools you will need for this build...I use a 3" Hole Saw...this creates a perfect hole for the 3.75" Net cups...which I use throughout my entire garden...this way plants can be moved freely...

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 2

First I start with the main hole for the plant...there are many configurations you can do...we will look at this single hole for a simple example...so I drill out the center with the hole saw...

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 3

One more reason I pick this particular tote is under the lid it has this convenient hole that I will use to run my airline thru...these are things to look for to make things simplier and cleaner looking...

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 4

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 7

The hole on this tote here for my air line is slightly to small to fit a 1/4" air line through...so I drill it out slightly...so I may easily move the airline through...

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 5

OK...cruising right along...we are about to add the airline and stone! So I simply push the airline through the hole and attach an airstone. I like the 6" Airstones for this tote...a good spread...

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 6

Ok now you want to hook up your airstone to an air pump. This is where people tend to over complicate...any pump is sufficient...whether it is a single outlet small fish tank air pump or a Commercial air pump plumbed with multiple outlets...the point is you want bubble action...to not only oxygenate the water...but to give your nute solution some movement so it does not become stagnet...once you have hooked up the air pump...add your water. I use about 2.5 gallons in this particular tub...

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 8

Here is what the finished tote with a single should look like...

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 9

Now I will show you the same tote in some different configurations...

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 13

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 11

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 10

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 12

Here is some roots grown in this simple tote!...

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 14

Here are some examples of different totes used same idea!...

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 17

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 15

This is to show they are the same idea underneath...

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 16

The next build I will show you is actually the way I prefer to run...I only use DWC to test usually or get to know a strain...

I use the Botanicare white flood tables with corisponding lid then use your hole saw to drill out your holes in the lid for the 3.75" net cups...then hydroton or stone and slide your plant right in just like the DWC.

Let's take a quick look from the outside...you see the table with a roughneck under it here...notice the 1/2' and 3/4' hoses...one fill one drain...this is a 3' x 3' Botanicare table...with a 31 gallon Roughneck.

dscn6699-jpg.304322

this is what's going on in the ressy/roughneck tote... 396 gph pump running on continuous flow..

dscn6700-jpg.304323

This is what's going on inside the table...if you look at the first pic here...on the right is the drain...the left is water pumping in...now since they are side by side to aide in making sure it's all mixing well I cut a little piece of 1/2" hose and put a 1/2" 90 on it to ensure the pump fires at the back of the table and drains forward. The hoses being up front and side by side just simplifies the water changing process and cleaning for me...

dscn6702-jpg.304324

dscn6703-jpg.304325

Here is what it looks like under the lid while plants are in the table...

dscn4579-jpg.304301

Here is a shot of a root ball after harvest...

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 18

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 19

Bakedrealitys simple builds and feed schedule 20

A rather simple design...but effective for me! I keep it simple...K.I.S.S.!

Last edited:
BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
This has also been a big thing...some people curious about my feed schedule...I will try to break it down here for you...

This is the GH Products I use....
Upload 2015 2 6 9 45 58
Upload 2015 2 6 9 46 27

Upload 2015 2 6 9 47 24
Upload 2015 2 6 9 24 51
Upload 2015 2 6 9 25 53

for PH Down/Up...

Upload 2015 2 6 9 26 52

Alright now that you know the products I am using I will start with the Veg feed...

These measurements and any measurements in case I forget to mention it later will be per gallon...

I only use these feeds...no foliar or anything like that...

Veg - Light

GH Micro 1ml per gallon
GH CaliMagic 1ml per gallon
GH Bloom 2ml per gallon

Veg - Full Feed

GH Micro 1ml per gallon
GH Cali Magic 2ml per gallon
GH Bloom 2ml per gallon

Now we will get into the flower feed that I use...I will break it down by week and go up to 10 weeks. Keep in mind this is a base nute schedule...strain dependent you may need some tweeking...

Week 1 (Day 1-6)

GH Micro 1-2ml per gallon depends on strain...my heaviest feeder is at 2ml per gallon
GH Bloom 4ml per gallon

Week 2

GH Micro 1-2ml per gallon
GH Bloom 6ml per gallon
GH FloraNectar 1ml per gallon

Week 3

GH Bloom 6ml per gallon
GH FloraNectar 1ml per gallon
Liquid KoolBloom 2ml per gallon

Week 4
GH Bloom 8ml per gallon
GH FloraNectar 2ml per gallon

Week 5
GH Bloom 10ml per gallon
Liquid KoolBloom 4ml per gallon

Week 6
GH Bloom 10ml per gallon
Liquid KoolBloom 5ml per gallon

Week 7
GH Bloom 10ml per gallon

Week 8
GH Bloom 10ml per gallon

Week 9
GH Micro 0-1ml per gallon
GH Cali Magic 1-1.5ml per gallon
GH Bloom 8ml per gallon

Week 10

Plain Water Flush..

There it is folks! Hope this helps...I am sure I will get comments...ridicule...etc...etc...

It works for me and some have asked...

Keep it Green!

Last edited:
BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
Thank you very much everyone! Means a lot coming from fellow growers...

I am not sure what makes a thread sticky worthy...but it might be worth considering...since there are a lot of questions about how to do a cheap easy DWC...

Keep it Green!

tobh

tobh

Supporter
very nice! last time I tried a dwc, it turned out horrible. but with this setup you make it look super easy! i'll probably wind up giving this a go at some point just because of this thread. thanks for the inspiration!

HiGro

HiGro

How many of those 3.75" net cups do you run on a single 3x3 flood table?

Do you have any troubles of over crowdedness, or do they all get sufficient space?

Just curious man, Im really thinking of going that route for my new Flower room.

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
Hey there HiGro!

It really depends on how my whole room works together...and what I am trying to accomplish...if you follow...

My main goal I focus on is staying under 100 per location is key to me!

That being said I have ran 3 x 3 tables with cuts right out of the cloner like 15 small ones in a 3 x 3 but you are counting on poles with nug tops...with a 2 week veg I like to run no more than 4 per 3 x 3 table...per light.

Right now I am really liking to run the Botanicare 2 x 4 tables with tops...this allows me to put 2 tables under one light...which just gives me pulls more often. So I like to run 2-3 plants in a 2 x 4 table with 2 tables under a thowie on a 2-3 week veg...strain dependent.

I like running the tables for a couple of reasons...I dump a ressy's every week and fill with fresh water and nutes...so when I run tables in a line...I get a sump pump...and just go right down the aisle pumping out the ressys and filling them up with a hose...this makes for changing up to 15 tables out with fresh water and nutes...in just over an hour. Plenty of time to focus on other areas of my grow...as we all know there is plenty of work to be done in a grow besides the watering part of it...

Overcrowding...this could be a sticky situation...for me it depends on how I am running to decide how to prep them for flower...prepping is what decides if I get overcrowding...I mean you are gonna get explosive growth in short amounts of time with hydro anyhow. Strain growth pattern also dictates any overcrowding situation...I try to provide enough lighting per square foot to get even good bottom growth. Some strains I grow go thru the entire flower cycle with few enough leaves that even the bottoms get light so I let them be...bushier plants...I just lollipop more. There is a learning curve to running tables this way...but the conveniences are worth it in my situation...

Let's just say I have put my eggs in one basket before...and my basket crumbled...I like to pull every week now...at least 1 table..

I hope this helped answer some of your questions...feel free to ask any other questions....

Keep it Green!

HiGro

HiGro

Yes thank you! Exactly what I wanna do , Simplify things! That sounds like a system for me. I have my grow op set up similar to what your explaining. I have a cloning box set up with my bubble cloners in it. Then Ill have my veg room (my current flower room) using DWC Buckets and tote tubs. Then, In the works as we speak my flower room which I wanna put the flood tables in. Using the 3.75" net pots for all the stages like you said easier to move an transplant. Cant wait till my flower room is complete..just having delays like the past week has been around -5*f and getting 8-10" of snow every other day. Gotta love the north-east! Has been hell on my A/C unit.

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Yo @BakedReality this i believe is very similar to how @medman runs his tables. I personally love your setup, why you ask(lol)? cause ive been considering coco beds and to give this a shot all id need is a pump, rez, tray lid and hoses to convert back and forth for whatever reason. Thanks for the build info!

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
Yes thank you! Exactly what I wanna do , Simplify things! That sounds like a system for me. I have my grow op set up similar to what your explaining. I have a cloning box set up with my bubble cloners in it. Then Ill have my veg room (my current flower room) using DWC Buckets and tote tubs. Then, In the works as we speak my flower room which I wanna put the flood tables in. Using the 3.75" net pots for all the stages like you said easier to move an transplant. Cant wait till my flower room is complete..just having delays like the past week has been around -5*f and getting 8-10" of snow every other day. Gotta love the north-east! Has been hell on my A/C unit.

Yessir glad I could help...hope the weather changes for your favor brother!

only thing Id add is make sure to use a thicker tote. those cheap thin ones will bulge and pop the lid off when filled to high.. everything else is spot on ..

Yes sir like I mentioned I like to use the Rubbermaid Tough Totes or Like Lowe's brand similar which are also rugged. But...and I don't mean to be disrespectful in anyway so please hear me out...This only matters if you complicate the build I have created...thru many years of failure...due to whatever circumstances...I have experienced my share of heartbreaks believe me...but at the same time I like to be able to get away for up to 7 days if I want to...which is usually a family vacation type of situation...but I work enough that I feel I should be able to walk away for 7 days...I might be freaking out inside...but that's another matter...lol!

So this complicates it only in the matter you speak and I will explain...I know what you mean by the totes bulging out when filled. This only applies when you have the totes filled to 90% or more. Now in any of my builds I never share this as being a factor...I go by how far the net cup hangs first...then I have the water level at least 4 inches below that...but what really matters to me is the amount of water going in...I try to keep everything to a gallon size that is easy to figure into my feeding measurements...I try to make everything to points that are easier to calculate. Even with my table runs...I use either a 18 gallon tote which actually holds 17.5 gallons of water if you fill it to even bulging...I count it as 17.5 gallons...or I use the 31 gallon tote which I count as a 30 gallon ressy...so I fill them to the top...and that is the measurement I use. I typically tend to use the same containers so there is no learning curve...

So here are the fixes to some of the typical failures I have experienced and one that covers what you spoke of also. It starts with the extension on the inlet going into the table from the pump...this protects my tables from bleeding to much water back into the ressy from let's say a pump failure...whatever height you set the tee pointing at the back of table...for me generally the same height as the ebb drain I choose...which turns out to be close to or right at enough water for said plants to survive several days without a functioning pump. I stop the bulging tote/lid pop issue by only filling up the tote to the water level of the tote for measuring purposes also...and then turn on the pump. This also means that if I do experience a pump failure I only have a full tote worse case scenario to bleed back into my ressy...So I have figured out how much water it takes to keep my table full at the overflowing point or continuous flow and drain rate...and the amount needed in the ressy to make it a week without my pump running dry...then I buy that tote...so then I would fill the tote and then turn on my pump which generally leaves about 50-60% of the water in the tote...while a pump is running...with a pump failure I expect 30-40% to remain in my tables for the plants to consume...in case of failure...

Now with DWC for me...the simple 5 gallon Sterilite tote I described in the build I put 2.5 gallons of water in...and it generally runs that way for me...being about half the amount of water the container says...but I like a wider container over a taller container...probly just from indoor growing...but I like to do easy uniform measurements throughout my gardens and net cup sizes. In DWC for instance I pick a tote big enough to last a week without changing ressy's because I don't top off...I don't plan on it...I plan for a set point and let it swing. Worse case scenario even a DWC tote for me is only holding at the most a 70% water amount of the actual container capacity...which would not create a bulging type of situation...

I have only experienced what you speak of when I was measuring a full system with it running and the tote full...I gave up on that after a few basement floods due to power failure...and having more water in my systems than the actual tote could physically hold...this is why I fill to a tote capacity now and no more...

Great show u make it look so simple. M

Thanks! I feel as though it is very simple...almost too simple...if you know what I mean...kinda of like if someone asked me to explain my grow style...I would probably say some dumb shit like and I usually do...I dunno...I just listen to the plants...

Yo @BakedReality this i believe is very similar to how @medman runs his tables. I personally love your setup, why you ask(lol)? cause ive been considering coco beds and to give this a shot all id need is a pump, rez, tray lid and hoses to convert back and forth for whatever reason. Thanks for the build info!

My pleasure my friend!

Just so some of you know that may attempt this if any...any of my builds with the feed. I will say that I am not as big on the air bubbles as most growers...although I know I will get an argument with this...I think air diffuses the feed. That being said...I feed my tables at the lower end of my feed schedule...and I feed DWC at the upper end of that feed schedule...

Much Respect! and Keep it Green!

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
lol.. great point and lots of detailed info which is awesome.. I was just making a point to someone who is new to DWC and might skimp on a better tote.. I was referring more to the bubbler not the table set up. but again great points and Im sure that will help anyone who is new to the systems..

Top Bottom