Baking compressed coco bricks for sterility

• Thread starter dankworth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dankworth

dankworth

So I bought this big coco brick, because it was there and I can bake it in my oven. I will have to hacksaw it in half, because I actually know where the hacksaw is right now. Otherwise I would skilsaw it in half to make it fit in the oven. JK recommended that, but he has no snow on the ground at any point I bet.

Foodborne bacteria is allegedly not supposed to survive above 140 degrees. I believe that I should go to more like a sustained 180-200 degrees to be safe. And then there are bug eggs to be sure I don't have.

Will it stink up the house?
Will it catch fire?
Should I wear an apron?

Thanks everyone.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Its around here somewhere but on what I read... you have to maintain and internal temp of about 160F-170F for 30 minutes. Hope this helps?

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

roast it in a turkey bag? You're seriously paranoid after those RAs, eh?

dankworth

dankworth

roast it in a turkey bag? You're seriously paranoid after those RAs, eh?

Sure am. I am concerned that I may also receive some superbug, like russet mites or something.
If I could go back, knowing what I know now...

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

i use coir to grow mushrooms so i have to pasturize it, pasturizing is better than sterilizing cause u leave the good and eliminate the bads. just bring 2 gallons of water to a boil, turn off flame and throw your coir in for an hour then drain, let cool and use.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

You can't sterilize without a pressure cooker. Your wanting to pasturize. Putting a block of coco in your oven is the least effective way of pasturization the outside of the block willbe done pasturizing before the inside which defeats the purpose. Water pasturization is the easiest way. You don't want to pasturize for longer than about 90 minutes but at least 60 minutes. Keep your temps between 140-160 don't go higher than that or your killing beneficial bacteria cranking the temp to 200 isn't Gunna give ya any benefits. 140-160 is the sweetzone.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

But... I thought coco was inert??? I know soil I know is different.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

your right It is inert, however depending on the brand of coco and how it was stored and how long its been stored it can harbor quite a few different types of good and bad bacteria and pathogens. I pasturize about 300+lbs of fine coco coir every two weeks for my mushroom farm.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

How do you pasturize brother? 300 lbs of coco... good God man...LOL

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

We took an old stock tank welded up a big base on it and put a custom ring propane burner that puts out I'm guessing 200000 btu's. We use two mesh baskets on engine hoists to lift em in and out. We pasteurize a lot of media. I'm hoping by the end othis year I can afford a rolling steam pasteurizor.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

cool brother... how would you suggest pasteurizing coco for 6 15 gallon Magic Pots (just like airpots)?

I have access to my electric stove or I have an outdoor propane deep deep fryer I could use to boil water.

Thanks for the insite.

dankworth

dankworth

I am not in a position to pasteurize unfortunately. But awesome advice, thanks.
I just hacksawed(scored) and broke the brick in two.
I have it in the oven now with the rough edge on a cookie sheet so I do not have burning coco chunks. Just set it to 200 degrees. Let's see what happens. Hopefully nothing stupid.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

LOL... keep us informed brother how it turns out. I just opened my new turkey deep fryer and all I need is a screen for the bottom and a few concrete bricks... and I am in business.

dankworth

dankworth

So I have had the oven around 250, give or take. I see consistent surface temps of 200 degrees. And it actually does not smell yet. A little, but just smells like warm coco. No idea of internal temp. Probably low, coco seems to be a good insulator.

I think northone has the right idea. I wish I had a cast iron bathtub available. I think I will just use my stainless steel kitchen sink.

Thanks northone for your help.
And on a Monday no less.

Edit: Put the other 1/2 of the coco block in a pillowcase. Beat it with the back of a splitting maul to break it up. Left total of 1/4 of coco brick in pillowcase, poured in boiling water. It looks like I am going to have to boil a lot of water. It does look like this is the best solution. The 1/2 brick is still in the oven, last surface temp reading was 208, doing just fine. No stink yet. The coco smelled bad for a moment when I poured the boiling water on it, worse than the oven coco for sure. Is dying bacteria responsible for bad smell?

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

why not just hydrate with boiling water..
.......yer welcome

That's fine as long as you do it in something that will hold the heat over 140f for 60 minutes. Otherwise your not doing shit but dumping hot water on coco.......pasteurization is specific. So is sterilization. It takes time to kill the larvae eggs or pathogens.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Try throwing your bricks of coco in a pressure cooker with boiling water; thats what many growers do when growin boomers indoors. Goodluck and take it easy

dankworth

dankworth

So while the coco did not stink exactly, I had to air the place out later, some gas that does not register a smell per se was released into the air I think. Enough to cause a headache, but I am more sensitive to stuff like that than most.

Coco is a pretty good insulator. I think I would be better served by slowly wetting the chunk of coco brick before placing it in the oven to bake. Water in medium would cause more efficient heat transfer, heating the center of the brick to the desired temperature faster. Like using a dry towel to handle a hot baking sheet(insulates) vs. using a wet towel(water transmits the heat quickly to your hand)
I should get a tool to accurately determine the interior temp of the coco brick. I should get a...

Meat thermometer. There, I said it. I hope you are happy now.
I think I will start saying that more often. Like
"I would temp that with my meat thermometer"
"I put the mometer in meat thermometer. Oh yeah."

Any haikus or limericks using 'meat thermometer' would be welcome and appreciated.

Edit: Oh and anyone with a recommendation for sterilizing clay pellets that have been outside for a few years, I would like to hear about that as well.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

sterilization is sterilization brother... you can do the same with the clay. I plan on steam sterilizing my coco and perlite via a outdoor deep fryer.. converted to a steamer.

Wish me luck and best of luck on your baking.

dankworth

dankworth

So it was El Cerebro with the turkey bags that ended up being the best idea. I ended up breaking the big coco bricks in half, then putting a half in a pillowcase, then rinsing it for a long time, then loading that into turkey bags(large True Liberty bags) and then baking 2 turkey bags at a time for 1 1/4 hours at 225.
It is some work, but at least there is no customer service.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Do yourself a favor and check out the shroomery for pasteurizarion and sterilization teks......lots too learn off those sites if your stuck on this. Your making it harder on yourself than it needs to be.....I'm glad you found a way your happy with though.....best of luck in your journeys......

Top Bottom