Balancing air pumps

• Thread starter Toker Ace
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Toker Ace

Toker Ace

I have a bubble bucket grow and wondering if anybody has a solution for the problem of balancing the air supply to multiple buckets from one pump with multi port manifold. I have a GH dual diaphragm in my veg room and a single diaphragm but bigger in my flower room all with identical 2" airstones and it seems like I'm chasing my tail every night keeping my air supply even in 3 buckets. The only thing I can think of is a separate air pump for each bucket.
I haven't seen anyone doing this but I can't be the only one that has had this challenge. I'm more interested in a solution to this problem, than hearing how stupid I am, so please refrain from negativity.
Thanks, Toker
http://t0.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMkzAxawQYfaDr49oeDhxfogPS9VZT7BCo2MreLUYOEgJg6PAv

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

t valves is what i've come up with, then you can set all the buckets otherwise it's pretty hard

ttystikk

ttystikk

So you mention you have 3 buckets, and then you say you have another separate flowering area? Is there more than one plant in each bucket? How big and what shape are the buckets?

I'm gonna take a guess or two here, and assume that you're running 5 gallon buckets with one plant each, much as I am. Unless the buckets you're running are a lot bigger than 5 gallon capacity, one airstone per bucket would be plenty.

The multi-outlet manifold on the smaller pump pictured will do fine to run up to 4 airstones. If you only have 3 in that area, use a T fitting to connect two of the outlets together and then run that output to the third bucket. Since all those 4 outlets are on their own built-in manifold, the pressure will naturally equalize and you'll have even airflow to each of the three buckets.

If you're using the big airpump, then you have a lot more capacity than is necessary or even desirable for just three airstones- you'll end up making the pump run too hot and wear prematurely. In that case, unless you're running more buckets elsewhere, I'd go with two airstones per bucket and run that pump thru a manifold to output a separate airline to each of them. again, if the manifold happens to have 8 outlets, just use a T fitting to combine 2 into one (doing it twice so you end up with 6 lines), and the manifold will naturally equalize pressure to each of your airstones.

If that doesn't help, PM me?

N

noone88

Get a chrome air manifold. Each air port can be adjusted. It can be purchased at any hydro shop or online.

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Get a chrome air manifold. Each air port can be adjusted. It can be purchased at any hydro shop or online.

That is what I have. The problem is that one of the stones will have a little of of it's backpressure blown out and allow a little more air through that particular stone which allows more air to go through to that stone and less through the others due to the different back pressures. Once the flow of air becomes slightly unbalanced, the dynamic exacerbates itself like a runaway train. if allowed to continue all air will be coming out of one stone. Once I had water boiling out the top of the net pot.

N

noone88

How about dropping 2 airstones into each bucket? That's what I do in my DWC system.

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Hey all, Thanks for the replies. I was at the hydro store today to buy more airstones. I asked my guy if he had a solution to my problem. He said "absolutely. Grow in dirt" ROFLMFAO I said " I'm a pot farmer not a dirt farmer you dinosaur". So no great ideas from him. He liked the idea of 2 stones per bucket but I don't see how this could be any different. Just because it's not logical to me doesn't mean I am not willing to try. Bought 3 2" round airstones. $8.88 with tax. then he gives me 3 quarts of Ionic brand nutes. Grow veg and PK boost. Last time it was 2 pints of GH duo. I love that guy. I'm waiting for day to begin so I can try them out. Found these here on the farm:
I bet I could diy these.

Top Bottom