Ballast Heat Output

• Thread starter ethcan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ethcan

ethcan

Is there an exact BTU/H metric for a 1000w DE HPS ballast running at 100% (Not over or under powered)?

I am curious how much cooling headroom I stand to gain if I switch over to a remote mount setup and keep all of the ballasts out of the heat load.

Thanks in advance.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Man the mfg should be able to state the thermal output. Each brand has its data and is required for CE and UL certification

madgrower

madgrower

Is there an exact BTU/H metric for a 1000w DE HPS ballast running at 100% (Not over or under powered)?

I am curious how much cooling headroom I stand to gain if I switch over to a remote mount setup and keep all of the ballasts out of the heat load.

Thanks in advance.
I have 5 1000s and had the ballast in the same room for one day. The heat was ferocious so I put them in the attic

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I have 5 1000s and had the ballast in the same room for one day. The heat was ferocious so I put them in the attic

Are they digital ballasts? The old school ballasts I had put out a ton of heat but once I went digital it cut heat down substantially. Of course I’m all LED now.

ethcan

ethcan

Are they digital ballasts? The old school ballasts I had put out a ton of heat but once I went digital it cut heat down substantially. Of course I’m all LED now.

Cool, what are you running? Did you ever run DE's and if so, how would your current results compare?

madgrower

madgrower

Magnetic

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
HID grow lights add 3.41 BTUs per watt, per hour (1,000 watts = 3,400 BTUs). In a sealed, windowless 4-by-8-foot grow room in a sunny apartment, about 3,000 BTUs worth of heat

ethcan

ethcan

HID grow lights add 3.41 BTUs per watt, per hour (1,000 watts = 3,400 BTUs). In a sealed, windowless 4-by-8-foot grow room in a sunny apartment, about 3,000 BTUs worth of heat

Thanks, trying to find out BTU/H of the ballast only, not bulb output.

3 balls

3 balls

I've had identical rooms, one ballasts in one ballasts out. If I were building a room I would try to keep them out but I wouldn't go to the trouble of changing it around as it's insignificantish imo. I'm talking digital btw, magnetics get insanely hot.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Thanks, trying to find out BTU/H of the ballast only, not bulb output.
Well good luck as the ballast heat is insignificant, If u cool the bulbs, the ballasts , Nono magnetic type , digital gets as warm as you cable box

Latest posts

Top Bottom