Ballasted Lights can be traced by their radio noise:

• Thread starter squiggly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squiggly

squiggly

According to this article a guy was able to track down (legal) growers by the radio noise being produced by their ballasted lighting systems.

A cable shield can prevent this ostensibly.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/pot-growing-lights-are-interfering-with-local-radio-87930355864.html

We all know that a good ol’ cellphone jammer can shut down mobile service for miles. But did you know that the lamps used to grow marijuana indoors can interfere with radio waves?

As The Coloradoan reports, Boulder resident Tom Thompson recently discovered this peculiar reality when he set out to track down what was interrupting his ham radio — which he uses to communicate with friends across the country.

Thompson, a retired electrical engineer, crafted a portable antenna and began roaming the streets to see what made its signal cut out. Eventually he discovered the offenders: the growing collection of high-powered lamps that residents are using to grow the now-legal pot indoors.

It appears that this is not a novel problem. Though Colorado legalized recreational use of the drug only five months ago, medical marijuana is legal in 22 other states (plus the District of Columbia). As weed laws loosened, amateur botanists took to growing pot indoors, to avoid thieves, insects, and inclement weather.

And growing pot indoors requires high-powered lighting. How high powered? High Times recommends using 1,000-watt high-pressure sodium lamps along with 400-watt metal-halide lamps. Of course, that’s for mass scale production, and would be pretty overkill for a casual home grower, as many experienced commenters have noted below. In small households, you’d usually find just one lamp under 1,000-watts. Some even use incredibly energy efficient LED lights that avoid intense energy drain.

Many of these particular types of lights employ electrical ballast to limit the amount of current they use. Ballast circuits can cause electrical noise: They radiate radio energy. With so many of these lamps in the area, ham radio operators are essentially trying to work amid a human-made thunderstorm.

Add up the wattage of every weed-growing household in America and, well, local radio stations don’t really stand much of a chance. The problem has become so severe that the American Radio Relay League, representing America’s 720,000 licensed ham operators, filed a federal complaint. ARRL spokesman Sean Kutzko told The Coloradoan that the problem states are — surprise! — Colorado and California.

The Federal Communications Commission seems to be less concerned about the interference of grow lights than it is about cellphone jammers. A representative told The Coloradoan that it’s aware of the problems but didn’t say the government organization was going to do anything about it.

In the meantime, Thompson found a very Boulder-esque way to solve his problem: He bought every perpetrator he could track down a $20 cable shield to block the interference.

symbiote420

symbiote420

Damn what gives CO? That sucks, I've heard that digi ballast are like homing beacons so I replaced mine with magnetics, guess I could have saved some bread lol, I just saw on the news that the states surrounding CO. are complaining about increased drug trafficking into their states and how they are having to spend more taxpayer's $$$$ to enforce the "law"! With all the serious issues we face as a nation/planet we have to focus on dumb BS like this! Here's and easy fix ....ease up on your dickish laws you pricks then maybe you want have to profile non-violent peeps who's only crime is wanting to kick back and smoke a few joints!!

Same's been happening around here ...Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois have been doing the same and IL & OH are in the process of going legal. Anybody thinking they have a shred of freedom or privacy nowadays is sadly mistaken!

P

Protaide

the RF from HID lighting can also throw off pH monitors with corded probes. I believe a couple companies do sell shielded lines though. Most of the RF comes from the High tension cord to the actual light itself; however the ballast does emit a small percentage. The typical oscillation frequency of electronic ballasts is between 10khs-20khs. This higher frequency is used to induce the high voltage to the light without a huge transformer (e.g. uses pulse type).

Another alternative to shielding would be to ground the entire room (Faraday cage) many people already have metalized reflective surfaces and could serve to reduce this a bit. As well, and for fun, one could use a LF receiver (I.E. tesla coil / antenna) and recover a portion of this energy ;) jk

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Fuck that ham radio guy,hes been fucking up my TV signal forever,lol.Seriously though is it the ballast or is it the lampcord between the ballast and the lamp like gavita claims?The longer the cord the more the RF interference?Squiggs what do you think?

burn4me

burn4me

Fuck that ham radio guy,hes been fucking up my TV signal forever,lol.Seriously though is it the ballast or is it the lampcord between the ballast and the lamp like gavita claims?The longer the cord the more the RF interference?Squiggs what do you think?
word....we got 100's of those people around here.....gangs of em

P

Protaide

The cord between the ballast and the HID light cause the greater amount of RF; as the cord still gets the 10-20Khs signal and is better suited for transmission (in terms of 1/4 wavelength, Q and shape). The ballast only emits RF from the pulse transformer section and is not suited well to transmission (close coupled, low Q, poor shape and length).

Natural

Natural

According to this article a guy was able to track down (legal) growers by the radio noise being produced by their ballasted lighting systems.

A cable shield can prevent this ostensibly.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/pot-growing-lights-are-interfering-with-local-radio-87930355864.html

We all know that a good ol’ cellphone jammer can shut down mobile service for miles. But did you know that the lamps used to grow marijuana indoors can interfere with radio waves?

As The Coloradoan reports, Boulder resident Tom Thompson recently discovered this peculiar reality when he set out to track down what was interrupting his ham radio — which he uses to communicate with friends across the country.

Thompson, a retired electrical engineer, crafted a portable antenna and began roaming the streets to see what made its signal cut out. Eventually he discovered the offenders: the growing collection of high-powered lamps that residents are using to grow the now-legal pot indoors.

It appears that this is not a novel problem. Though Colorado legalized recreational use of the drug only five months ago, medical marijuana is legal in 22 other states (plus the District of Columbia). As weed laws loosened, amateur botanists took to growing pot indoors, to avoid thieves, insects, and inclement weather.

And growing pot indoors requires high-powered lighting. How high powered? High Times recommends using 1,000-watt high-pressure sodium lamps along with 400-watt metal-halide lamps. Of course, that’s for mass scale production, and would be pretty overkill for a casual home grower, as many experienced commenters have noted below. In small households, you’d usually find just one lamp under 1,000-watts. Some even use incredibly energy efficient LED lights that avoid intense energy drain.

Many of these particular types of lights employ electrical ballast to limit the amount of current they use. Ballast circuits can cause electrical noise: They radiate radio energy. With so many of these lamps in the area, ham radio operators are essentially trying to work amid a human-made thunderstorm.

Add up the wattage of every weed-growing household in America and, well, local radio stations don’t really stand much of a chance. The problem has become so severe that the American Radio Relay League, representing America’s 720,000 licensed ham operators, filed a federal complaint. ARRL spokesman Sean Kutzko told The Coloradoan that the problem states are — surprise! — Colorado and California.

The Federal Communications Commission seems to be less concerned about the interference of grow lights than it is about cellphone jammers. A representative told The Coloradoan that it’s aware of the problems but didn’t say the government organization was going to do anything about it.

In the meantime, Thompson found a very Boulder-esque way to solve his problem: He bought every perpetrator he could track down a $20 cable shield to block the interference.

Another article says, "he created a $20 cable shield". I'd really like to understand what he is giving out. Can we figure this out?

P

Protaide

Any shielded 14/3 or 16/3 cable, with a working voltage of 600+ will work if you just replace the current "un-shielded" version. Be sure to ground the shield as well. I'm not aware of any shield wrapping; however you could use a metalized tape. Though that would reduce flexibility. Example. Lapp USA Olflex Tray II 14/3 (model number U2214030). This example is around $1.40 per foot.

Last edited:
Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Sqiggs..Thanks for this knowledge. explains why where i was living last the pigs were there every weekend with radars and shit. Makes sense now, anybody gotta link to some Upgraded mag ballast that are the titts?
respect!

ALSO..do they make those dual mag ballast , like the digis? so you can run a flip flop?
peace

Last edited:
Canappa

Canappa

I Just got this letter today from my cable company

" Comcast has determined the cable signal we supply to your home via the coaxial cable is radiating out of your home. This means there is a leak of our signal into the air and/or interference is being back fed into out mainline."

They goes on to say it interferes with police radio and other communications and they need to come into the house. I moved the cables away from my digital ballast but I am not sure if its going to work? My next step is to get rid of the cable dont know what to do

P

Protaide

Can someone send some links to shielded cables for digi ballasts?

outwest

Lumatek's are good for ballast shielding and I'm pretty darn sure they "used" to offer a shielded cord / or had a ballast with longer built-in cord. However, I cannot find that they still produce those. So, I don't think any mfg's currently offer shielded "ready-made" cords.

-If the ballast connectors themselves are available you could wire it yourself.
-You can also cut your non-shielded cable, as close as possible, to the ballast and splice shielded into the old wires near connector. Shorter the better there. I would recommend soldering that connection too.

Sqiggs..Thanks for this knowledge. explains why where i was living last the pigs were there every weekend with radars and shit. Makes sense now, anybody gotta link to some Upgraded mag ballast that are the titts?
respect!

ALSO..do they make those dual mag ballast , like the digis? so you can run a flip flop?
peace

I agree with Jeffadies, for no RF with Magnetic or "Cap and Coil" ballasts if one is worried / doesn't want to make their own cord.
- There are "dual ballasts" as in "selectable" but not both running at the same time.
- Really though, with "cap and coil" there are only 2 parts. A transformer and capacitor to start the bulb. You can find cheap DIY HID kits and make your own Dual / Selectable as well pretty easy. Most of the transformers are "multi-tap" primaries and can use several voltages in the same transformer (e.g. 120, 240, 480). You don't technically even need a box for the magnetics; heh.

A side note with magnetic ballasts. If they are a bit older and you find your bulb not wanting to start / not stay running; just replace the cap and yer good.

If one were to get into "nitty gritty"; technically the magnetic provides a better (less stressful) waveshape to the bulb vs. digital. The magnetic will provide a nice sine wave vs. a highly square wave with digital. Digitals are more efficient, but a bulb should last a bit longer with magnetic (not that people run bulbs to death though). The higher efficiency is primarily gained from the high frequency, so there's no way to make a low Hz, non-RF producing electronic ballast; without being less efficient than magnetic.

I Just got this letter today from my cable company

" Comcast has determined the cable signal we supply to your home via the coaxial cable is radiating out of your home. This means there is a leak of our signal into the air and/or interference is being back fed into out mainline."

They goes on to say it interferes with police radio and other communications and they need to come into the house. I moved the cables away from my digital ballast but I am not sure if its going to work? My next step is to get rid of the cable dont know what to do

meh, hate cable companies.....
How close were your lamp cords to the cable? If your in a temporary pinch (changing to mag or shielded) you can wrap your lamp lines with aluminum tape or steel window (screen door) mesh material. Those don't allow for much flex or movement; but should be away to cut things down "as is". Take a radio and tune to the lower end of AM and you should hear noise (static) in that range. If you wrap your lines with the screen or tape (and ground it!); then you can re-test and see if noise is reduced.

If you fix your issue via ballast, cord or shield; you can re-contact comcast and possibly mention you had an electrostatic air cleaner or plasma globe near your cable line that was the issue. Or, you could say you replaced a bad cord to your TV that had a bare shield touching another wire (something like that). They can re-test the line; if they see no feedback you should be able to avoid the "visit". E.G- fix it quick :D

burn4me

burn4me

hey guys how would one test to see? short of getting radio over here to see if i fuck it up lol. thanks

and great post Squiggly btw

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
hey guys how would one test to see? short of getting radio over here to see if i fuck it up lol. thanks

and great post Squiggly btw

Go sit in your car and turn on an AM radio station. Turn your ballast off first. find a clear station then flip the ballast on and see if it fuzzes out the station.

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
Let us know what you find out Burn4me. This old bastard had the electric company swarming my yard trying to figure it out.. talk about some horseshit. Fuck digital ballasts.. unless you live in a faraday cage.

burn4me

burn4me

i swear i have no problem cutting cable off. and no one in my house i dont want with out a warrant. PERIOD thanks for the help and i will def post in the morning of my finds.

burn4me

burn4me

alright so i just did the test with AM radio and got no interference. boy my wife was happy to get up out of bed and help....not i thought she was gonna cut me!
told me stop tweeking. i told her i had good cause and like the lovely woman she is she lent a hand. damn i was really going there for a minute. glad there was nothing. now as my ballast gets older does this increase chance of it happening? anyone know?

Top Bottom