Ballasts- Which are quality/horrible?

• Thread starter bloads
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bloads

bloads

Looking @ purchasing a 1000w ballast (most likely used off craigslist here in san diego).

Which companies should I really stay away from, and which usually have solid products? If lighting power supplies are anything like computer power supplies, there is a HUGE difference in quality across the board.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've only used a couple of brands, and Ice Cap went defunct last year. I have one mag coil ballast that just keeps on ticking, and a Quantum digital ballast that can't run all bulbs, but is switchable between MH/HPS, as well as being adjustable output. I like the Quantum very much, but can't run the Lumatek bulbs a friend reco'd I try out with it, they have to stay in the Xtrasun ballast.

So, more than anything, be aware that not all bulbs can be run on all ballasts, there seem to be compatibility problems.

I would probably also stay away from NextGen and Lumatek ballasts, would buy a Galaxy ballast in a heartbeat because of their known reliability and durability in the miniature reefkeeping world.

M

mellokitty

i would be wary of buying power supply for just about anything off craigslist, unless you can arrange to pick it up in a situation where you can plug it in for a number of minutes to make sure it works, and then more minutes to wait for it to cool off.
if you have a local hydro shop that has a used section, they'll probably have done this to anything electrical before putting it back up for sale (unless it's an "as is" section, but i think a hydro shop would be better able to accomodate you if you wanted to try it out there).

we've been running quantums since we upgraded to digital (about a year now) with no issues to speak of. i think the dimmability is spoiling me for mag-coils.
don't know anything about nextgens, heard not-so-great reviews of lumatek's customer service (maybe they make great effing ballasts, but i can't/won't buy from companies that have more than one of my friends saying, "fuck them!"). to be fair, i haven't had an issue with quantums yet that would test their service aptitude either.

J

JonDoe

u can get 1000w switchable magnetic ballest with hps bulb & econo wing 4 $200.oo or cheaper if u shop around.(locally). in cali. with warnty. i buy stuff on C.L. all the time but only stuff like co2 tanks. ducting hard parts nothing like ballast or neturients.b careful with C.L good way to get riped off or worse fallowed 2 grow site.hydro stors have used equip and open box buys all the time just ask.

bloads

bloads

So, more than anything, be aware that not all bulbs can be run on all ballasts, there seem to be compatibility problems.

I would probably also stay away from NextGen and Lumatek ballasts, would buy a Galaxy ballast in a heartbeat because of their known reliability and durability in the miniature reefkeeping world.

^So Galaxy is a solid brand, awesome, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I'll make sure and stay clear of nextgen + lumatek too. That additional info that some lights aren't compatible w/certain ballast is good to know also, thanks.

i would be wary of buying power supply for just about anything off craigslist, unless you can arrange to pick it up in a situation where you can plug it in for a number of minutes to make sure it works, and then more minutes to wait for it to cool off.
if you have a local hydro shop that has a used section, they'll probably have done this to anything electrical before putting it back up for sale (unless it's an "as is" section, but i think a hydro shop would be better able to accomodate you if you wanted to try it out there).

we've been running quantums since we upgraded to digital (about a year now) with no issues to speak of. i think the dimmability is spoiling me for mag-coils.
don't know anything about nextgens, heard not-so-great reviews of lumatek's customer service (maybe they make great effing ballasts, but i can't/won't buy from companies that have more than one of my friends saying, "fuck them!"). to be fair, i haven't had an issue with quantums yet that would test their service aptitude either.

^I think you talked me into purchasing a brand new one. No headache and a stress-free warranty, not to mention I got hosed buying a used portable dishwasher off craigs list last year.

u can get 1000w switchable magnetic ballest with hps bulb & econo wing 4 $200.oo or cheaper if u shop around.(locally). in cali. with warnty. i buy stuff on C.L. all the time but only stuff like co2 tanks. ducting hard parts nothing like ballast or neturients.b careful with C.L good way to get riped off or worse fallowed 2 grow site.hydro stors have used equip and open box buys all the time just ask.

^I see some great deals on hydrowholesale, but with such deals I become dubious about quality (yeah, this coming from the guy who was just contemplating craigs list, wtf huh?).

W

wiklund

Hi!

I have used Lumatek the last years. The super lumen switch is great and the ballast have never failed on me.

Peace

O

Ohsogreen

Sun Systems " 1 " or " 6 " ballasts (mag core) they never let you down.
I say that, because I'm still not sold on digitals yet. I stick with what works, and works and works..... proven track record. Plus the upside of all these digital ballast in the marketplace now is, they've really driven down the price on these older, but solid ballasts. A long soild track record, holds weight with me.....
If you do go digital, avoid all Chinese knockoff brands....... cheap in their case, equals cheaply made...... aka - a fire in your grow room, blown bulbs, and failed crops......

I

ibTheMan

Lumatek $300 shipped off Ebay (from 2 sellers, ive bought many from).
i have and have had MANY Lumateks as do all of my friends, and never one problem, sealed and select ah watt, i love um.
there come'n out with Low Hertz digitals now.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
This is about the best advice for shopping CL, and it's something I forgot to mention. It's worth repeating. Have them plug it in, show that it works.
I have already attested to the incredible durability of Quantums, and I know factually that the 600W unit can take a drop from over 5' up and not miss a beat.

I'll have to ask some Galaxy owners if they've done similar durability testing on their units. More likely they're known to be good for resisting salt spray and build-up, that sort of thing.

M

MMJInsiders

I have used just about every name brand ballast out there. That being said, I prefer digitals, but there is a place for magnetics as well and I run both. Customer service is important to me and that is where allot of companies fail. For digi's Lumatek or Galaxy. I have never had an issue with a Lumatek and I have had 1 issue with Galaxy that was taken care of quickly. For mags, I like the Harvest Pro Elite's by SS. I used to like the CAP Xtreme's but a round of 2 dead ballasts out of 4 I just ordered, along with the fact that the order was placed on Jan 8th and I still don't have replacements in hand kind of put a salty taste in my mouth. I have had bad luck with the CAP digi's as well.

I wouldn't buy used but if you do, try to get a handle on the age of the unit and test, test, test before purchase. I tend to feel obligated to purchase when I show up to someones place off a Craigslist ad. I have also lost money on junk, including a supposed new digital ballast that was DOA when I got back to the lab. My bad for making the exchange in a parking lot at night with no way to test, but hey, the guy seemed honest, lol.

C

c4NN4daze

Word

Sun Systems " 1 " or " 6 " ballasts (mag core) they never let you down.
I say that, because I'm still not sold on digitals yet. I stick with what works, and works and works..... proven track record. Plus the upside of all these digital ballast in the marketplace now is, they've really driven down the price on these older, but solid ballasts. A long soild track record, holds weight with me.....
If you do go digital, avoid all Chinese knockoff brands....... cheap in their case, equals cheaply made...... aka - a fire in your grow room, blown bulbs, and failed crops......

:harvest:

Illmind

Illmind

ya avoid cheap ballast because they use cheap components, however cheap shit can go a long way in few occasions. i prefer piece of mind so i go for best, it will pay for the difference whether in yield, electric saved, or how long it run efficiently. but be wary shopping face to face when dealing in certain products ebay got deals. good luck

FarmerGreen

FarmerGreen

I picked up 3 of the dual 250 Watt Gallaxy units 4+ years ago. Pros: Lights both my Hortilux MH & Super HPS well. On the not-so-good, one of the units only worked 1/2 (should've been 2x250) right out of the box. They are quiet, they run pretty warm, but not too hot. Anyone else have experience (good or bad). I'm in the same boat as the o/p - looking @ getting some new larger gear. Would love to know others experiences... Including warranty if anyone will share. I still haven't sent the 1 unit in that will only light one bulb.

Cheers, FarmerGreen

E

eosco

New member here, made an account so I could respond to this thread.

I would recommend the 1000w dimmable phantom. Very sturdy, solidly built. 120/240v..etc.Plus its completely silient.

If anything stay a way from the AN Badass Ballast. Tested one out yesterday and it made my hortilux blue bulb give off this VERY annoying high pitched noise.

If interested in the phantom, I can get your 30% off retail price.

Top Bottom