Bar lights?

• Thread starter Nugg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nugg

Nugg

Bar lights

Is anyone running these or similar in past or present? Hope it's worth the 670$..

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I am curious too. Gavita chose these strips for their light. There are chinese builds available too. Couple hundred cheaper. Still not sure i would order but everyone seems happy with their boards.

Munch517

Munch517

The form factor I can vouch for, I run Fluence Spydr2P's and I think they're worth it even at their price. People that I know personally have had some good results with these sorts of Chinese lights in the past, they just seem to be slightly less efficient than some of the big name lights and the build quality is questionable.

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

I bought this 8 bar LED light at a local grow store, it was used & I got it for a song ($200), this particular one has 8 3' bars & the fixture is 3' long, each bar has 6 arrays with one mini cob @ 6000k along with 1 small blue 420nm, 1 small far red & 2 small photo red LED's per array, 48 total arrays & it is a 480 watt light (like 510 watts at the wall) so each array is getting 10 watts. Im on my 3rd run using it & it easily matches the yield from a 1K HPS SE in my set up. The light has no name on it & it's obviously chinese in origin, the build quality is not terrible & it works great. It was my first test in the LED market, I wanted nothing to do with blurple LED's & this one is more like bink instead of blurple, a very pink hue but colors such as red under it really pop, much higher CRI than an HPS, more natural color looking plants under it to your eyes. Anyhow I am so glad I bought it & got my feet wet with LED's. I have since bought a chilled logic/Growma5 320 watt 4 puck light & 800 watts worth of 3 HLG quantum board set ups, 3/4's of my room is now LED with 1 1k HPS still hanging around.

You can do your own 4'x4' light bar build for the same price as this 4'x4' chinese bar light.. about $800 will build you a really nice 640 watt bar light with guaranteed quality parts that will match a spydrx mega that costs 2 X as much ($1600).. My next light will be a strip build using 16 of PLC's 2' photoboost strips! These chinese lights are fine if you can't DIY at all but if you can DIY building your own for the same cost will give you a better light in the long run no question!

Now if I could buy the light I got used at the grow shop for $200 I would buy them all day for that price because you can not build a decent 3'x3' LED light for $200 no way, not even close!

I am a huge fan of the bar style lights because of the penetration they get from having light coming from all angles above, the light really gets deep into the plants with multiple sources from above. It beat my expectations on how well it would work & beat it by alot!

20190513 190811
20190513 191749
Anthem

Anthem

Just drop the extra cash for the Fluency or Gavita. If the cost is too much look at the growers choice stuff

Nugg

Nugg

Thanks for the input this far...it's seems these bars are just standard bars from Samsung with those same chips and some "brand" assembles and sell..I don't care how well they are constructed..I can fix or just rebuild if it comes to that...I do hope they do what others say..they consume 900 watts so I'm excited to see how well they out do the 2 600 watt each consumers...

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

Thanks for the input this far...it's seems these bars are just standard bars from Samsung with those same chips and some "brand" assembles and sell..I don't care how well they are constructed..I can fix or just rebuild if it comes to that...I do hope they do what others say..they consume 900 watts so I'm excited to see how well they out do the 2 600 watt each consumers...

900 LED watts is way way overkill for a 4x4 area or even 4.5' x 4.5' IMHO... 640 to 680 good LED watts kills it over a 4x4 or 4.5x4.5 area... the par #'s under 900 watts of samsung chips should be ridiculous & I can't even come close to running 640 watts worth over a 4.5 x 4.5 in veg, I have to dim them to 50%, in flower they handle it just fine but there is no way I would add more as 640 watts is almost overdriving them IMO. If using co2 900 watts might be doable over say 4.5 x 4.5 but prolly at 30" min above the plants if not 36". The 680 watt Spydrx mega at full power pretty much overdrives plants if you do not run co2 so 900 watts has to be overkill or they use fake chips or low BIN chips that are no where near as efficient thus their 900 watt light might only put out what good quality 650 watt does. LED drivers are not all the same quality or efficiency just as the LED chips are not.

Munch517

Munch517

I agree with the last post. If those are highly efficient LEDs (2.0+ ppfd per watt), you wouldn't need that much light even with CO2. It's just really hard to say without actually taking light measurements and for this sort of thing you really would need a PAR meter. If be really curious to see real data from these Chinese lights.

Nugg

Nugg

Come to think of it..my dad has one..I'll get it and try it out..I do have 9' ceilings.and 5.5×5 grow area..4 plants rcdwc..and yes c02 if I feel using...but I really don't need any more plants that size.. maybe with these lights they will cover the area better...now I have 2 mars hydro 2? 1600's. They can't cover it properly,they only cover a 3×3 area good.. outside of that the plants get thin..I feel I need the 42" light to cover the entire area.. I already have 9 other led lights,the other are viparspectra,1200's and 700 Pat's.nothing covers like they say... anyway I'll get his meter and lights should be here just in time for room 3 to be flipped..I'll start logging from there...

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

I agree with the last post. If those are highly efficient LEDs (2.0+ ppfd per watt), you wouldn't need that much light even with CO2. It's just really hard to say without actually taking light measurements and for this sort of thing you really would need a PAR meter. If be really curious to see real data from these Chinese lights.

Check out Shane's of MIGRO channels on youtube, he has PAR tested about every Amazon chinese light & many more, most way underperform at around 1.6 to 1.8 efficiency compared to 2 to 2.5 for the good LED's. 1.6 to 1.8 is more like SHPS #'s which is not good for LED's.

Last edited:
maximusluminous

maximusluminous

Come to think of it..my dad has one..I'll get it and try it out..I do have 9' ceilings.and 5.5×5 grow area..4 plants rcdwc..and yes c02 if I feel using...but I really don't need any more plants that size.. maybe with these lights they will cover the area better...now I have 2 mars hydro 2? 1600's. They can't cover it properly,they only cover a 3×3 area good.. outside of that the plants get thin..I feel I need the 42" light to cover the entire area.. I already have 9 other led lights,the other are viparspectra,1200's and 700 Pat's.nothing covers like they say... anyway I'll get his meter and lights should be here just in time for room 3 to be flipped..I'll start logging from there...

The light in your OP would blow your mind compared to your viparspecta... it would cover beautifully, you just might need it dimmed down to 75-80% and it would still blow your mind!

Munch517

Munch517

Check out Shane's of MIGRO channels on youtube, he has PAR tested about every Amazon chinese light & many more, most way underperform at around 1.6 to 1.8 efficiency compared to 2 to 2.5 for the good LED's. 1.6 to 1.8 is more like SHPS #'s which is not good for LED's.

Yeah, I watch Migro videos but to my knowledge he hasn't tested one of these cheap Chinese Fluence clones, he's been a great resource though. BTW hps/mh lights run around 1.1-1.3 ppfd per watt so the 1.6-1.8 efficiency of some of the newer budget LEDs (like the new Mars Hydro lights) is a respectable and worthwhile improvement. That being said I generally push people towards HLG if they're on a budget because they're efficiency is near that of the top lights.

Nugg

Nugg

I look at the hlg 660...I really did consider it..but this light is little larger in dimension...seems that no led reaches very far outside its dimension size.. without losing lots of ppfd on the outside..that's what I've found in my research 🤷🏻‍♂️....but none of that matters anymore, everything is on its way..that light and a par meter...
So I'll log my info here as I get it...light will be here the 20th..I'm day 41 in veg..I really needed to flip already,but..I'm going to wait...I'll veg out for like 50 days..SMH.🤦🏼‍♂️.I'll just take the scissors to it and cut the hell out of it...to level it back off..and keep 4 cuttings for room#1 when it's done around March 9th..I've included a pic of where I'm at now I'll add when light comes in.
IMG 20200211 060031
IMG 20200211 060031

Munch517

Munch517

I look at the hlg 660...I really did consider it..but this light is little larger in dimension...seems that no led reaches very far outside its dimension size.. without losing lots of ppfd on the outside..that's what I've found in my research 🤷🏻‍♂️....but none of that matters anymore, everything is on its way..that light and a par meter...
So I'll log my info here as I get it...light will be here the 20th..I'm day 41 in veg..I really needed to flip already,but..I'm going to wait...I'll veg out for like 50 days..SMH.🤦🏼‍♂️.I'll just take the scissors to it and cut the hell out of it...to level it back off..and keep 4 cuttings for room#1 when it's done around March 9th..I've included a pic of where I'm at now I'll add when light comes in.View attachment 939887View attachment 939887

I'll be very interested in seeing the par reading from that light. I have a feeling you'll be quite happy with the light output and it will probably have good but maybe not fantastic efficiency. Please keep us posted

Nugg

Nugg

Update...not much still waiting on lights to ship.......been a week..they say delivery on the 20th...but....got par meter yesterday..reset all my lights...kinda disappointing...can't believe I've been growing weed like I have with such underpowered lights...I did move another light over to rm#3.im going to flip and cut clones today, really don't want to wait any longer,they are already to big...I'll add pic later... amateur outfitters is where I got my light...same light as posted,but they didn't list specs as well...far as light goes...I believe everything is made in China... maybe assembled somewhere else, probably cheaper drivers..

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
that size.. maybe with these lights they will cover the area better...now I have 2 mars hydro 2? 1600's. They can't cover it properly,they only cover a 3×3 area good.. outside of that the plants get thin..I feel I need the 42" light to cover the entire area.. I already have 9 other led lights,the other are viparspectra,1200's and 700 Pat's.nothing covers like they say... anyway I'll get his meter and lights should be here just in time for room 3 to be flipped..I'll start logging from there...
You are right, the bluple lights already out of date, you need upgrade it to full spectrum white light, you will get better results. Looking forward to your logging

Reactions: Ina
MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah, I watch Migro videos but to my knowledge he hasn't tested one of these cheap Chinese Fluence clones, he's been a great resource though. BTW hps/mh lights run around 1.1-1.3 ppfd per watt so the 1.6-1.8 efficiency of some of the newer budget LEDs (like the new Mars Hydro lights) is a respectable and worthwhile improvement. That being said I generally push people towards HLG if they're on a budget because they're efficiency is near that of the top lights.
Mars Hydro will upgrade some lights and launch new chips light, "top light" this year 😎

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
Update...not much still waiting on lights to ship.......been a week..they say delivery on the 20th...but....got par meter yesterday..reset all my lights...kinda disappointing...can't believe I've been growing weed like I have with such underpowered lights...I did move another light over to rm#3.im going to flip and cut clones today, really don't want to wait any longer,they are already to big...I'll add pic later... amateur outfitters is where I got my light...same light as posted,but they didn't list specs as well...far as light goes...I believe everything is made in China... maybe assembled somewhere else, probably cheaper drivers..
Made in China no problem, the important thing is that you need to know these light real data, the specs, the light quality, if the accessories are certificated, the warranty and service. Looking forward to this light work

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I bought this 8 bar LED light at a local grow store, it was used & I got it for a song ($200), this particular one has 8 3' bars & the fixture is 3' long, each bar has 6 arrays with one mini cob @ 6000k along with 1 small blue 420nm, 1 small far red & 2 small photo red LED's per array, 48 total arrays & it is a 480 watt light (like 510 watts at the wall) so each array is getting 10 watts. Im on my 3rd run using it & it easily matches the yield from a 1K HPS SE in my set up. The light has no name on it & it's obviously chinese in origin, the build quality is not terrible & it works great. It was my first test in the LED market, I wanted nothing to do with blurple LED's & this one is more like bink instead of blurple, a very pink hue but colors such as red under it really pop, much higher CRI than an HPS, more natural color looking plants under it to your eyes. Anyhow I am so glad I bought it & got my feet wet with LED's. I have since bought a chilled logic/Growma5 320 watt 4 puck light & 800 watts worth of 3 HLG quantum board set ups, 3/4's of my room is now LED with 1 1k HPS still hanging around.

You can do your own 4'x4' light bar build for the same price as this 4'x4' chinese bar light.. about $800 will build you a really nice 640 watt bar light with guaranteed quality parts that will match a spydrx mega that costs 2 X as much ($1600).. My next light will be a strip build using 16 of PLC's 2' photoboost strips! These chinese lights are fine if you can't DIY at all but if you can DIY building your own for the same cost will give you a better light in the long run no question!

Now if I could buy the light I got used at the grow shop for $200 I would buy them all day for that price because you can not build a decent 3'x3' LED light for $200 no way, not even close!

I am a huge fan of the bar style lights because of the penetration they get from having light coming from all angles above, the light really gets deep into the plants with multiple sources from above. It beat my expectations on how well it would work & beat it by alot!

you got it at the right price. Most chinese leds are CRAP, and this one has way too much pink for vegging, but if you are using it strictly for flower, not bad

Top Bottom