Based On This Photo Of My Trichomes, Is My Plant Ready To Harvest?

• Thread starter miracleplant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
miracleplant

miracleplant

Shown below is a photo of my trichomes on my white widow autoflower. Some of the trichomes are clear and some have a little bit of an amber head on them. I am not seeing a whole lot of "milky white" in my trichomes. Is my plant ready to harvest? If not, what should I be looking for down the road? Thanks in advance!
http://i63.invalid.com/16itdad.jpg

FullSizeRender
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Dont just look at one spot...if most of it is amber then chop

miracleplant

miracleplant

Dont just look at one spot...if most of it is amber then chop
I looked at a few other spots on the plant and the results I am getting are similar to the photo I attached. Does the plant need more time to mature before I chop?

xenon730

xenon730

can't tell from this photo. try to get as many globes in as possible. looks like you've touched this leaf a bit and took them all off.

that said, most of those look long, clear, and not straight, so probably not even close yet. you're looking for shorter, straight pointing, cloudy ones that don't reflect back at you with light. unripe look like glass or sugar, ripe look like salt or sand kind of. i harvest when there's as little clear as possible but no amber to all cloudy a few amber based on time with the latter being my optimum. I'm guessing that plant is 53ish days old? bear in mind to get truly swollen calyxs and ripe buds you will have to go about 3 weeks past the later number. that's in my experience anyways growing from barneys, nirvana, dinafem, bodhi, sensi, and others. most short plants take about 75-80 days to be ripe in my experience.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I looked at a few other spots on the plant and the results I am getting are similar to the photo I attached. Does the plant need more time to mature before I chop?
Are all the pistils orange or are they white

miracleplant

miracleplant

can't tell from this photo. try to get as many globes in as possible. looks like you've touched this leaf a bit and took them all off.

that said, most of those look long, clear, and not straight, so probably not even close yet. you're looking for shorter, straight pointing, cloudy ones that don't reflect back at you with light. unripe look like glass or sugar, ripe look like salt or sand kind of. i harvest when there's as little clear as possible but no amber to all cloudy a few amber based on time with the latter being my optimum. I'm guessing that plant is 53ish days old? bear in mind to get truly swollen calyxs and ripe buds you will have to go about 3 weeks past the later number. that's in my experience anyways growing from barneys, nirvana, dinafem, bodhi, sensi, and others. most short plants take about 75-80 days to be ripe in my experience.
Thanks for the great insight! This was very helpful. I will give my plant more time because it looks like it isn't ripe.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Dont go by trichomes alone, go by whole plant appearence and water uptake. When the trichomes are mostly amber, the fan leaves are all yellow, sugar leaves starting to turn color and she isnt drinking water fast anymore then she is ready to chop.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Dont go by trichomes alone, go by whole plant appearence and water uptake. When the trichomes are mostly amber, the fan leaves are all yellow, sugar leaves starting to turn color and she isnt drinking water fast anymore then she is ready to chop.
I'm putting bells on this, and suggesting that you read my thread on how to harvest without a loupe. I haven't scoped in years.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
For extracts I think its better to harvest a bit early while the trichomes are fat, cloudy and sticking straight out. If you wait until you have alot of amber alot of the trichomes curl up and dry out feeding the starving mature bud. I am going to experiment with organic feedings to the day of early chop for live resin extraction after frozen.

xenon730

xenon730

Thanks for the great insight! This was very helpful. I will give my plant more time because it looks like it isn't ripe.
as you get better at noticing the glass vs salt difference you can accurately view your trichomes without a scope(though a few amber can go unnoticed at first).

how swollen you let the calyx's get directly translates to yield. there is a point where she'll have thin calyxs, maybe all orange pistils, and tons of crystals but if you wait even just one more week those calyxs will burst. when your calyxs are round and look almost independent of each other they're so swollen. they get very round, like a pea when ripe. obviously this varies from strain to strain but the swelling itself looks similar across them.

onto pistils. pistils are the most useless after a point. as the pistils orange and recede, the calyx swells and prepares a space for the seed. however, a lot of strains put on new flowers to harvest and high light and heat areas will show new flowers with white pistils and tiny calyxs all the way to the end. however, if the majority of your "base flowers'" pistils aren't aged to orange or red(depending on strain), then your calyxs are probably tiny.

in my experience trichomes and calyx size have huge, direct effects on final yield and so i observe them the most carefully. I'm talking massive changes in flavor, aroma, potency, effect, and up to half the potential yield. seed companies have a vested interest in making those numbers lower but in reality plants take much longer usually. my fastest plant was a 3ft. cheese that was slightly early cut at 67 days. i would have liked to let it go another 3-4 days though. if you want a thorough investigation it's best to show the whole plant, a close up of the cola and the bottomest, light getting buds, and a trichome shot or four, preferably of calyxs at various heights. once you smoke your first, fresh, fully ripe plant, if you haven't yet, you will experience a vastly better flavor, aroma, and effect from your cannabis that can change your life.

miracleplant

miracleplant

as you get better at noticing the glass vs salt difference you can accurately view your trichomes without a scope(though a few amber can go unnoticed at first).

how swollen you let the calyx's get directly translates to yield. there is a point where she'll have thin calyxs, maybe all orange pistils, and tons of crystals but if you wait even just one more week those calyxs will burst. when your calyxs are round and look almost independent of each other they're so swollen. they get very round, like a pea when ripe. obviously this varies from strain to strain but the swelling itself looks similar across them.

onto pistils. pistils are the most useless after a point. as the pistils orange and recede, the calyx swells and prepares a space for the seed. however, a lot of strains put on new flowers to harvest and high light and heat areas will show new flowers with white pistils and tiny calyxs all the way to the end. however, if the majority of your "base flowers'" pistils aren't aged to orange or red(depending on strain), then your calyxs are probably tiny.

in my experience trichomes and calyx size have huge, direct effects on final yield and so i observe them the most carefully. I'm talking massive changes in flavor, aroma, potency, effect, and up to half the potential yield. seed companies have a vested interest in making those numbers lower but in reality plants take much longer usually. my fastest plant was a 3ft. cheese that was slightly early cut at 67 days. i would have liked to let it go another 3-4 days though. if you want a thorough investigation it's best to show the whole plant, a close up of the cola and the bottomest, light getting buds, and a trichome shot or four, preferably of calyxs at various heights. once you smoke your first, fresh, fully ripe plant, if you haven't yet, you will experience a vastly better flavor, aroma, and effect from your cannabis that can change your life.

Thanks again for some more valuable information! I will more closely monitor the calyx's size.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I just tried the early harvest not quite dry yet extract method and it looks like I am going to get about a gram from an 1/8.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I just tried the early harvest not quite dry yet extract method and it looks like I am going to get about a gram from an 1/8.
Looks more like a half or 3/4 gram on paper, and the 8th was just an estimate by size not weight. It was about 75% dry, stems not quite snapping yet but the outside felt dry and fan leaves crumbled.
I wonder if it will taste like the 80$ a gram live resin from the disp, it sure smells like it...

miracleplant

miracleplant

60x loupe
Cropped
Normal
Zoom2x

Here are some photos of the top of my white widow autoflower that I have been referring to. Obviously it isn't going to have big buds because it is an autoflower. This is an outdoor plant. Is this plant close to being ripe? The pistils are almost all BROWN which may not matter but the trichomes are mainly clear and don't have large heads.

Attached are 4 images of the plant. One of them was using a 60x loupe. Let me know your expert opinion on when I should harvest based on what you are seeing. I thank you in advance!
60x loupe
Cropped
Normal
Zoom2x

Latest posts

Top Bottom