zyt3x

Hi, i'm planning an spring outdoor grow, and
here are a few questions i have not been able
to get the answer to. First, if it starts raining, do
i have to protect the plant with something or
move it, or can it just stay out on the rain?? And
when i germinize the seeds, can i put them directly in
their growing pots outside, giving them a bit of
water, without doing any harm to them???

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Moderate rain is no problem for an outdoor plant, torrential rain is a different issue. It also depends on where they are. Avoid any area that may flood or you might be crying as you wade through it. Rain is a much bigger concern late in the grwoing season when the plants are full of bud. Leave them out too long through late rain and/or heavy moisture and you'll get a serious mold issue.

Starting them inside will probably give you a better ratio of success to failure but you'll have to bring them out slowly to harden off to the weather.

Z

zyt3x

but is it possible after germinating to plant them directly
into their outside growing pots???

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
You should get them started in smaller pots or they'll be inclined to stretch and fall over. Plan on starting them and transplanting to their summer home after they harden off. If you're starting them early you should use a cold frame (tiny greenhouse).

mace

mace

Is this a spring harvest or spring grow?

Rain, as said before isn't a large deal in moderate amounts, it will knock of THC and can lead to mold.

You can plant seedlings into small pots and place them directly in sunlight if you wish. It's better to put them in 50% sunlight for the first week or so. The shade will help them harden off.

Z

zyt3x

it's a spring grow, which means i'm starting them at the first of april. So, if
i understood all the answers correctly, some moderate rain isn't that dangerous,
and after germinating the seeds i can start them directly in 50-50 sun/shade, but
in smaller pots, and i can transplant them after a month or so???

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

if you want to start your seedlings in the same pots that you are growing them in out side you want to make sure that the temps are not going to get to cold, or your little seeds won't want to germ at all. I don't know what area you are from but my sugestion would be to germ the little babies inside in a small pot. You can put them under a cingle CFL for a short period and after 3 or 4 weeks, mvoe them to outside. A lot of outdoor growers like to start their seeds on April 1st then move them outside on April 20. Even late in April depending on your area, you plants still may need protection from low nightime temps.

Z

zyt3x

i'm from croatia, istria, to be precise, and the climate starts getting real warm towards
the end of march, so i thought this could be working just fine. I was planning to germinate the seeds inside first, and when they are germinated, put them outside in small pots, and after one month growing or so they would go to their real growing pots (15 liter)...

mace

mace

Okay so you're starting a spring grow, what you want to do is what others have said and germinate inside. I would wait till the plants hit 6 inches and not place them outside till you have daylight at least 14 hrs a day. (that happens to be 4/20 for the city i live in, find your day here) [croatia looks to be at 45º45N, seems like april 15th is probably your day]

Unless you're subject to flooding, no amount of rain is going to hurt your grow in veg. It's when your plant is flowering out that you want to watch for rain.

cheers.

Z

zyt3x

aha.... well, i think you folks have made
thinks real clearly to me.... once and again
i would like to thank you all for sharing your
knowledge with me, y'all don't know what
that meance to me!!! xD

Peace bro's...

Z

zyt3x

btw. one other question has come up, cause i have read