Basic Terminology ?

• Thread starter pntrbl10
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

pntrbl10

1st post but I been lurking and learning for a bit. What's confusing me so far is all the acronyms and other words/slang/jargon used to describe things I don't yet understand. Not complaining. No one wants to type Recirculating Deep Water Culture when RWDC will do!

So here's my current list.

What's a pheno?

How does UC work? Look! I'm already doing it myself!

Assuming beans are seeds, why are they cracked?

And the whole issue of genetics has me completely confused. Maybe there's a sticky somewhere?

I'm building my 1st growbox so I'm sure there will be more Q's soon .....

Thanx for any help.

R

raphen_ilweed

1st post but I been lurking and learning for a bit. What's confusing me so far is all the acronyms and other words/slang/jargon used to describe things I don't yet understand.

What's a pheno?
phenotype
"A rose is a rose is a rose"

How does UC work? Look! I'm already doing it myself!
Not sure just about to read about it myself.

Assuming beans are seeds, why are they cracked?
Sprouted

And the whole issue of genetics has me completely confused. Maybe there's a sticky somewhere?
"A rose is a rose is a rose"

I'm building my 1st growbox so I'm sure there will be more Q's soon .....
Just be sure to follow all your local :anim_09: good luck!
Thanx for any help.
YW

B

Bubz

Pheno is a phenotype when you have a particular strain say Jack Herer...its made by crossing different plants male and females to make that strain...now if you were to buy a pack of those seeds and planted them all and if at anytime u see differences in appeareance or really anything at all between the plants than that would be your phenotypes..say one seed produces a hella more resin than another...the phenotype with shitloads of resin u may wanna keep...Im still very new but i believe thats a solid answer....you senior farmers correct me if im wrong

Regards,

Bubz

B

Bubz

Also there are many great books you can get at major book stores that will give you all the info u need...I still wanna get Ed Rosenthals book...I have "The Cannabis Grow Bible" i think its by Gregg Green not sure dont have it in front of me...but that helped me alot in my first grow with these terms and just surfing around here more....welcome

Bubz

T

Towelie

Yup, raphen nailed it pretty much.

UC is short for undercurrent, don't know much about it its not my thing but that should help you find some more info at least.

'Cracking a bean' means germinating a seed. The seed 'cracks' when it pops open out of its shell and becomes a sprout.

As far as genetics, I'm sure you have heard about different strains, the reason one plant looks different from another is that they have different genetics. Each strain can have multiple phenotypes however (see above posts)

Hope that helped some :pimp:

Latest posts

Top Bottom