battery back-up

• Thread starter adam
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

adam

hey guys i was curious if any of our farmers can suggest a battery back-up for a roughly 60 watt rms airpump?i looked up on google but they are mostly for comps. i havent seen one that even takes a regular 2 prong power cord from the airpump. anyone who has experience or a realiable link please help out.i dont wanna lose my future DWC plants to a short power outage i would feel safer with back-up.

F

Finalopagus

yea a good UPS will do you for a couple of hours, you put a timer on that pump and your good for emergencies up to a couple of days

A

adam

its wintet and blackouts happen from time to time. dont wanna lose months of work due to no power.i guess i will have to spend some $ to ease my mind. has anyone made one themselves out of car batteries?

budboy299

budboy299

I had made one out of a deep cell marine battery.

the battery was constantly kept up to full charge by a motorcycle battery minder. (this is too keep it charged but not overcharged. then from the battery I had a switch that would energize the circuit when the current from the 120 went out. After this came an AC current inverter....then finally to the air pump.

kind of costly but I already had all the pcs so cost wasn't an issue to me at that point

A

adam

kinda figured their would be a DIY version.thanx budboy!in your opinion is it better just to buy one if you dont have any parts?i can build one if its safe and much more cheaper then a complete one.but i wont sacrifice safety for $. thanx again budboy now i have a starting out point

D

diesel

Find an old ups backup, they automactially kick in and nowadays are not much, i link a small fan and filter on mine as smell leak is an issue too !

T

todgerdelburro

As Finalopagus and Diesel say, get an UPS, Uninterrupatble Power Supply .. they are used for computers and do exactly what you want.

Trying to use a 12v or 24v battery is a really long, expensive and complex way of achieving this ..... effectively you need the same kit as a Solar Power user..... Sine Wave converters and other gubbins that can change 12v DC to 240 AC ... get the UPS, it is exactly what it is designed for, the power capabilities of any decent UPS should last your pump a whole day.

Changing a power cord is a doddle.....

C

crazycanuckster

ups a good idea

I had the same question, thanks for the info.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom