Battling Spider Mites / Ozone Gen?

• Thread starter MT_Smoke420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

I know theres tons of threads on Spider Mites, but wanted to ask a few certain questions. I neglected spraying my plants preventatively and now dealing with mites week 3 into flower.

I use Athena's IPM and have been hammering the plants with 120ML/gal for treatment and have hit them a few days in a row ( spraying tops, under leaves, stalk, soil, etc.)

If the spray is killing off the mites will they still be there, just not be moving? It seems I still have a bunch of mites after a few days of spraying they just aren't moving like they were when i first noticed.

This may be an awful idea but has anyone tried using an ozone generator with plants in the room? Would it kill the plants? Would it even kill the mites??

Any mite suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I honestly don't know too much about the little bastards, just know i have them now.. and hate them.

steamroller

steamroller

I have orange extract but have not used it foliar .
I add small amounts to my water for drenching gnats . 👍

MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

I also have a couple plants in veg that have gotten mites as well. Doesn't seem like IPM spray is real effective as they're still on the leaves, even though not moving. Is there a solution to completely submerge the plants in and get rid of mites? Sort've like tissue culture? Seems like there is everything from eggs to adults too :/.

Will definitely try these suggestions and see if any different results.

Would love to know if anyone has tried running ozone generator with plants before and what that has done.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I have not tried this yet but I am going to get all the ingredients to make up a batch if ever needed.

Maxwax

Maxwax

I know theres tons of threads on Spider Mites, but wanted to ask a few certain questions. I neglected spraying my plants preventatively and now dealing with mites week 3 into flower.

I use Athena's IPM and have been hammering the plants with 120ML/gal for treatment and have hit them a few days in a row ( spraying tops, under leaves, stalk, soil, etc.)

If the spray is killing off the mites will they still be there, just not be moving? It seems I still have a bunch of mites after a few days of spraying they just aren't moving like they were when i first noticed.

This may be an awful idea but has anyone tried using an ozone generator with plants in the room? Would it kill the plants? Would it even kill the mites??

Any mite suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I honestly don't know too much about the little bastards, just know i have them now.. and hate them.
Just because theyre dead doesnt mean they vaporize lol Avid-Floromite or Hexygon FTW.

Ponky

Ponky

Ozone to kill pests takes too long. Is done in large scale horticultural crops. Just not weed.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
I heard citric acid spray works, so probably/possibly just anything with same pH that they say to mix the citric acid to, when using to spray for mites.

You can blast them off with a hose. They don’t like being wet as well or cold or high humidity (I think). Also I think their heat tolerance may be weaker than weed maybe it was cold, could have been both.

Also see high brix for plants for Best long term solution.

predator mites work sometimes.

neem is alright but not in flower.

MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

So I sprayed Athena IPM for 3 straight days even though the guy at my local grow store said i shouldn't have done then and then suggested Lost Coast Plant Therapy, I gave them a day off the spray then sprayed them with the plant therapy today.

I've also cleaned up a lot of the dead dying leaves to hopefully help slow them down, make it easier to make sure the spray is getting everywhere.

I have recently been reading about killing them off with high CO2 levels, does anyone have experience with this?

Last thing, I'll give it a few more days and monitor and see how they seem to be doing but am i spinning my wheels being ~week 4 of flower? Should I just destroy flowering plants, make sure they're off my few veggers (was hoping they'd act like my mothers) and start over in my flower tent?

At least i learned never do a run without spraying at least once a week preventatively. Thank again for all of the input.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Imo, if the plants are prior to heavy crystal stage, blast the mites off with water and the low pH something or whatever you want, then wash off really good daily with water until plants start with lots of crystals.

Also, just to get all them and their stuff off the plant needs a bit of washing, so, now is the time to do it, they must go.

and co2 sounds like a good idea, still need to wash everything off though. I have no experience with it though, thought I may have read something on it back a while.

Last edited:
T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Here is something on co2, says 12k ppm for an hour.

I

IamN2pot

Well my friend, the reason there are tons of threads out there on the evil menace is because no one want to hear the truth about the critters cure. I recently left a job here in Colorado where the owners fought mites for over 3 years, spraying snake oil every 4 days. They still have 2 spotted mites. Problem is, snake oil will never eliminate the problem (snake oil = neem, soy, peperment, lemon grass or any other herbal oil based treatment, and it is a treatment, not a cure. (They aren't even TRUE preventitives) The Avid and Floramite SC previously mentioned will eliminate the mite problem but leave you with a chemical residue problem that no one in their right mind would want to inhale, and are illegal to use commercially in Colorado on pot. Last problem is no matter what you used to fight and kill them, their bodies stay on and in the buds. Who wants to smoke dried mite bodies and eggs?
The answer is to remove the infected plants, sterilize the grow room and start over, and since no one wants to do that, they keep looking for some magic potion and there are always going to be snake oil sales people to sell you false hope.
Now for some advice for those who don't want to lose that special variety you are growing, but has mites. Take a newly rooted infected clone and dip the clone into one of the true mitacides like Avid, Floramite SC, Forbid 4f and Akari 5SC at their recomended stregnth. Use at least 2 miticides and 3 are even better to avoid mite resistance to any 1 miticide and rotate the dipping. (You may have mites that are already resistive to one of these miticides, use multipals,) Every 4-5 days, dip the clone for preferably 3 dips in 3 differant miticides. If you watch ebay, this dude often sells 1oz bottles of at least 3 miticides for home use. So in 10 days, you dip and soak your clone, all the way to the soil surface, 3 times. Day 1, Avid: day 5, Floramite and day 10 Forbid for example. 5-7 days later, after any egg that may have escaped the dunking will have hatched, do a thorough scoping of the clone to insure there is NO insect life moving on the underside of the leaves. At this point, I delcare any new clone coming into my garden "BUG FREE", and since the clone is going into over 30 days veg and 50-70 days bloom, it's residue free IMHO. BUT, if you're still worried about chemical residue, simply make that clone a mother and get busy making new, bug free clones and have a mite free garden. :)
N2

Ponky

Ponky

Tear down. Super sanitize. And fogging. And sometimes burning foliage and shrubbery outside around the grow. But. Small scale growers do have a better chance of winning the fight. But don't smoke pesticide. Bug carapace is still better to smoke.

MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

Well my friend, the reason there are tons of threads out there on the evil menace is because no one want to hear the truth about the critters cure. I recently left a job here in Colorado where the owners fought mites for over 3 years, spraying snake oil every 4 days. They still have 2 spotted mites. Problem is, snake oil will never eliminate the problem (snake oil = neem, soy, peperment, lemon grass or any other herbal oil based treatment, and it is a treatment, not a cure. (They aren't even TRUE preventitives) The Avid and Floramite SC previously mentioned will eliminate the mite problem but leave you with a chemical residue problem that no one in their right mind would want to inhale, and are illegal to use commercially in Colorado on pot. Last problem is no matter what you used to fight and kill them, their bodies stay on and in the buds. Who wants to smoke dried mite bodies and eggs?
The answer is to remove the infected plants, sterilize the grow room and start over, and since no one wants to do that, they keep looking for some magic potion and there are always going to be snake oil sales people to sell you false hope.
Now for some advice for those who don't want to lose that special variety you are growing, but has mites. Take a newly rooted infected clone and dip the clone into one of the true mitacides like Avid, Floramite SC, Forbid 4f and Akari 5SC at their recomended stregnth. Use at least 2 miticides and 3 are even better to avoid mite resistance to any 1 miticide and rotate the dipping. (You may have mites that are already resistive to one of these miticides, use multipals,) Every 4-5 days, dip the clone for preferably 3 dips in 3 differant miticides. If you watch ebay, this dude often sells 1oz bottles of at least 3 miticides for home use. So in 10 days, you dip and soak your clone, all the way to the soil surface, 3 times. Day 1, Avid: day 5, Floramite and day 10 Forbid for example. 5-7 days later, after any egg that may have escaped the dunking will have hatched, do a thorough scoping of the clone to insure there is NO insect life moving on the underside of the leaves. At this point, I delcare any new clone coming into my garden "BUG FREE", and since the clone is going into over 30 days veg and 50-70 days bloom, it's residue free IMHO. BUT, if you're still worried about chemical residue, simply make that clone a mother and get busy making new, bug free clones and have a mite free garden. :)
N2
I was thinking i'd eventually have to destroy but since im learning this lesson the hard way figured I'd try to do anything to slow them down.

About pruned them bare and still see movement on a handful of leaves after multiple sprays of multiple produts.

I assume theres not much to do to salvage the plants after chopping? Extraction, or anything. I know im reaching here...

Thanks for all of the input, now about to learn how to dunk clones like im in the NBA! Never a fun problem to learn the hard way, but hey.. im here to learn. Thanks!!

MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

Tear down. Super sanitize. And fogging. And sometimes burning foliage and shrubbery outside around the grow. But. Small scale growers do have a better chance of winning the fight. But don't smoke pesticide. Bug carapace is still better to smoke.
Got it, thanks!

I

IamN2pot

I was thinking i'd eventually have to destroy but since im learning this lesson the hard way figured I'd try to do anything to slow them down.

About pruned them bare and still see movement on a handful of leaves after multiple sprays of multiple produts.

I assume theres not much to do to salvage the plants after chopping? Extraction, or anything. I know im reaching here...

Thanks for all of the input, now about to learn how to dunk clones like im in the NBA! Never a fun problem to learn the hard way, but hey.. im here to learn. Thanks!!
Some folks will do a BHO w/ CRC filter extraction, and if you must, that's one of your best options IMHO. Since you've already soaked the plants multipal times with herbal oils, those oils are all over your plants and will 'extract' or wash off with any alcohol or butane extraction and into your BHO/AHO unless you run it through a CRC filter. (at least that's what I was told while working in an extraction lab. The CRC would remove neem, soy or any other herbal oils as well as removing any PM and other nasties so it could pass testing. If that's wrong, someone else jump in!) If you try making bubble or dry sift hash, you'll still have all those oil residue issues from oil on the plants and trichomes. It's just a no win situation and SUCKS!

MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

Some folks will do a BHO w/ CRC filter extraction, and if you must, that's one of your best options IMHO. Since you've already soaked the plants multipal times with herbal oils, those oils are all over your plants and will 'extract' or wash off with any alcohol or butane extraction and into your BHO/AHO unless you run it through a CRC filter. (at least that's what I was told while working in an extraction lab. The CRC would remove neem, soy or any other herbal oils as well as removing any PM and other nasties so it could pass testing. If that's wrong, someone else jump in!) If you try making bubble or dry sift hash, you'll still have all those oil residue issues from oil on the plants and trichomes. It's just a no win situation and SUCKS!
Makes sense, I'll look into this! I haven't heard of CRC filter extraction so will have to do a little research. And again, salvaging anything i can for personal use would just help the hurt if i do decide to chop these gals down, which seems will have to be the case :(

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
can’t really say without seeing your plants but your probably right about tossing them, like the other guy said, they and there stuff gets everywhere, impossible to clean it all off, not cool to smoke.

if they did seems savable somehow, I’d wash them with vinegar (multiple times over days), water nearly 50/50 mix and don’t let it sit on the plants to long. Should kill and clean mites. Not suggesting this (it would be a test), but it will be something I try this summer and I do believe it could work.

only ipm worth anything (imo), organic high brix, ‘bug proof’ plants. Has been working for me so far in my veggie gardens and I’ve never had mites on my organic plants while they are on my salt plants and my organic plants haven’t even been the best because user error.

I

IamN2pot

Makes sense, I'll look into this! I haven't heard of CRC filter extraction so will have to do a little research. And again, salvaging anything i can for personal use would just help the hurt if i do decide to chop these gals down, which seems will have to be the case :(
Sorry, I should have explained CRC. Color Remediation Column with Activated Bentonite Clay (ABC). Here are a couple links to get you started....
CRC kit - https://shopbvv.com/products/1lb-inline-crc-kit-copy
ABC - https://www.extractsacademy.com/car...ivated-bentonite-clay-color-remediation-media
That will get you started with info if you decide to go that route.

Top Bottom