Bear Proof Tuff-box Worm Bin

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

1. Dig hole about a two foot hole to fit Contico tuff-box up to the hinges. This one was military issued but I believe this is the same model at tractor supply or Walmart. You can lock this in the middle or put two padlocks on to make it bear proof.

hUXvCzlvRV4hGsoU9iNHtDfvQceoUZ3AA_aTep8OK0V2Vk4vHEl0qtfdapJcYF_uJiYZ9I43tqYBrjVKSM0ruaOsi_bOlPIZo03FUKlINdCsrpRUs3k82xc4tB6RoqJ7Vf1fo5NJ

2. Place two bricks in bottom to separate any liquids.

3. Put in stack and nest (fish tub) with ½” holes drilled in each corner.

I take the stack and nest tubs out every couple months, pull the tuffbox out and drain and clean, dump the worms and castings on a tarp and start over using a few shovels of worms and any compost that isn’t broken down.

http://www.bin-store.com/snt200

ftrGDYjN0l3RBbsxgxEM3ZZOZj0GxPf9pNuoBBW28PwdVNHpnmkaR_ZzBXiC6u9uX39gRWXIZV2tsug9x3lywVhVgVrgnA0hTsjXsr9lSrsuYpKHcPwl4InHzmlV2yTMejvMdvd_

Homesteader

Homesteader

Keeps the worms cool enough in the summer but because it is above the freeze line in my area I buried mine in a few bales of straw. Only have done this one season and enough survived to think it may work on a cold year. I have had ants get in if I don't keep the lid tight.

G gnome

G gnome

Keeps the worms cool enough in the summer but because it is above the freeze line in my area I buried mine in a few bales of straw. Only have done this one season and enough survived to think it may work on a cold year. I have had ants get in if I don't keep the lid tight.
I have a purpose built worm bin 360. I reckon i paid $80 for it.....only thing is...not bear proof. I keep it in the basement

Homesteader

Homesteader

I had a small set up in my basement a few years ago but I started feeling creeped out about air quality in the winter, which may have been unfounded. The stackable type like you have I think is probably easier all around.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Have you had bears get in your bin before? I have bears all around here, I haven't had them get into my compost or worm bin yet. I always thought they would though. I always bury my food scraps about 5" to cover up the smell. But hey, good idea and I will keep this in mind if the bears come. I've found one of our bear proof trash cans that weighed at least 60 lbs or more about a 1/2 mile from our house once. Lots of work to not get it opened, haha.

Homesteader

Homesteader

We had a big sow gorge on rotten apples in our orchard about a decade ago and climb a big white pine at 5 am, too drunk to get out. I've had more problems with my lab when it comes to compost though but I don't doubt they would tear it up if they wanted in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom