Beginner for a budget tent kit and or opinions on brands or places

• Thread starter Joe505
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joe505

Joe505

Hello I'm looking to get a indoor tent kit I'm kinda just starting out so looking for a 2x2foot and 5to6 feet high with a led light approximately a 600watt to 1000watt so any recommendations is kindly appreciated or what brands and website have best prices thanks JOSEPH

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Hey man, you will have way better luck buying things piecemeal than going for a kit. They will always include junk. How much you thinking to spend total?

For what you are saying, I would get
  • a tent off Amazon (just find one recommended),
  • a Viparspectra P1500 (for a 2x2 this should be plenty and they are cheap....I am sure there can be a lot of discussion on this topic but I know for a fact these are fine because I have run plenty....imo there are many basically interchangeable lights at this price point).
  • An AC Infinity 4 Inch system...if you can get the temp controller that will be a huge saver for you b/c managing temps and humidity is like problem one for getting an environment dialed in.
  • Carbon Filter. I recommend not cheaping out on these personally.
  • A clip fan.
  • Some way to get the plants off the floor of the tent (imo). A sawed off milk crate is perfect. The idea is to keep the roots out of their runoff to keep them warmer and allow them to dry properly rather than basically living in a swamp after watering to run off. Note this very obviously does not apply to hydro.
  • Surge protector with timer.
  • Thermometer/Hygrometer. Note not needed if you did the AC Infinity System with the controller.
  • Any extra timers.
  • Zip ties or something else for clipping the fan.
Then it depends how you want to grow.
https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA...ords=viparspectra+p1500&qid=1612553894&sr=8-5
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-...c+infinity+cloudline+t4&qid=1612553829&sr=8-1

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I agree with @Milson

Also, 600-1000w is way too much for a 2x2 tent. With LEDs, you only need 30-50w/ft2 so for you: 120-200.

Here's a quick guide:

Tent: Doesn't really matter which one you get as long as it doesn't have too many reviews saying there are light leaks.

I'll just list a few lights you can choose from based on budget:

hlg 100w rspec
hlg 135w rspec (obviously better than the 100w. It puts out more light and runs cooler and lasts longer because it has a heat sink)
viparspectra xs1500 (this is about the perfect amount of light for a 2x2 tent)
There's a lot of talk about kingbright LEDs from alibaba but I don't know a lot about them. Maybe someone else can tell you about them.

Fans:

You'll need a 4 inch inline fan (and filter if you don't want overwhelming smells)
1 or 2 small fans for air circulation.

Heater and/or humidifier:

These are optional but are helpful to keep temps and rh stable. They're really hard to use in a 2x2 for 2 reasons. They take up some of the little space you have and the exhaust fan will replace the air extremely quickly while you have it on so whatever heat or humidity they produce will be gone in 30 seconds. With a heater, you'll need a temp controller and you'll need a rh controller if the humidifier doesn't have one built in. Honestly, the humidifier usually isn't necessary and isn't worth the space it takes up.

You'll need a plug timer for your light and maybe another for your exhaust fan.

pH and ppm pens/meters: For pH meters, unless you're willing to spend upwards of $150, I suggest getting pH testing drops. Any pH pens cheaper than $150 will almost definitely break after less than a grow even if maintained well. For ppm meters, you can go cheap and get whatever you want.

That's all the major equipment I think. Other than this stuff, you'll need pots (I suggest fabric pots), nutrients, soil/coco/hydro equipment, ducting for the fan, hygrometer...

One last thing: I'd highly suggest getting a little hand held microscope or jeweler's loupe. They are super useful for checking trichome colour, diagnosing pest problem and other random stuff here and there.

All this stuff together is pretty expensive so let me know if you want a simpler version with only the necessities.

Estimated cost of everything on this list other than the heater and humidifier: roughly $350-400 CAD or 275-315 USD.

Last edited:
JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
dreamnfox

dreamnfox

Mars Hydro upgraded their 2x2 kit to the TS1000 light, definitely one of the best value small beginner kit buys out there at the moment
thats a pretty great price for that kit, might need that for a veg/mother tent

logdog

logdog

i started out in a Mars Tent for the money I thought it was a great value and worked great.

Top Bottom