Beginner here woke up to a droopy seedling HELP! Please

• Thread starter Ambitiousone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ambitiousone

Ambitiousone

I started some seeds in perlite in a red cup. Everything was looking good but today it started to droop a bit. Do you think it’s damping off from the pics? Please help I tried to start a couple seeds in my homemade dwc system before this and they died from what I think was damping off. Now I’m trying it again in perlite. It’s frustrating cause I bought these seeds and I don’t want to waste my money. I would appreciate all the help I can get. I also want to add that I started it off with a dome hopefully that wasn’t the cause
Beginner here woke up to a droopy seedling help please
Beginner here woke up to a droopy seedling help please 2
Beginner here woke up to a droopy seedling help please 3
Beginner here woke up to a droopy seedling help please
Beginner here woke up to a droopy seedling help please 2
Beginner here woke up to a droopy seedling help please 3

threatco

threatco

Hey. It looks good to me. Those first seed leaves are supposed to shrivel up and fall off. Drooping is normal as long as the stem is straight up. I would get it back under the dome until it is a couple of nodes big, then introduce it to lower humidity little bits at a time before its time to move to the DWC bucket.

Ambitiousone

Ambitiousone

Thanks for the reply @threatco. I’m happy you responded quickly. This seems like a very good forum to be a part of. I’m putting it back in the dome now but now it’s dropping more than before. It has me worried. You think it’s the light I’m using? What can be the problem. I water it three times a day. Here are more pics.

threatco

threatco

A plant that small will bend sometimes, it's not a concern unless it feels "flimsy" to the touch. Right now you want very little light on it. Like a little fluorescent at most. If all you have is strong lights, then give it shade. You won't kill it from too little light. The only downside of too little light is tall and stretched seedlings. Giving too much light can kill them.

mancorn

mancorn

Why use 100% perlite? Typically seeds don't need a dome. Nature has had a couple million years to figure out how to grow plants and she doesn't use a dome. Domes are for clones, plants without roots. The reason you need it for a clone is all the water must be taken up through the leaves. This is not the case with a rooted plant.

threatco

threatco

I think the dome is reasonable if you are using grow media meant for hydroponics. It won't hold enough water to drink from like soil would. Give it humidity so it won't need to drink as much is my thought process

Ambitiousone

Ambitiousone

Thanks for the reply guys. @onedrop yes just perlite I figured it would be good to start in perlite so I can transplant easier to my dwc with hydroton. @mancorn I’m using just perlite so I can transplant easier into dwc but I’m no expert just figured It’d be easier. @threatco yeah that’s actually why I put it in the dome cause perlite doesn’t retain much water and the humidity would give it sufficient water. Do you think I’m watering it too often and I’m using ver little light tbh maybe not enough. It’s a 15watt cfl bulb inches away. I have 1000w led light but that’s too strong for the seedling I think. I can add another 10watt cfl bulb that I have if you think it’s necessary. I currently put her back in the dome. Will keep updating.

threatco

threatco

Thanks for the reply guys. @onedrop yes just perlite I figured it would be good to start in perlite so I can transplant easier to my dwc with hydroton. @mancorn I’m using just perlite so I can transplant easier into dwc but I’m no expert just figured It’d be easier. @threatco yeah that’s actually why I put it in the dome cause perlite doesn’t retain much water and the humidity would give it sufficient water. Do you think I’m watering it too often and I’m using ver little light tbh maybe not enough. It’s a 15watt cfl bulb inches away. I have 1000w led light but that’s too strong for the seedling I think. I can add another 10watt cfl bulb that I have if you think it’s necessary. I currently put her back in the dome. Will keep updating.

The 1 CFL is more than enough right now.

I don't think it's possible to "overwater" perlite if it has any drainage. I would almost say water it more. but maybe not needed if you maintain the dome.

Next time I suggest Rockwool cubes for your seeds/clones when intending to transfer to hydroponics.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
For a minute I thought that was some cottage cheese and chives. Never seen just perlite before so I’m no help here. Happy grows.
Burnz

Ambitiousone

Ambitiousone

thanks @threatco well how long you think I should keep the dome on for? Till the first set of true leave emerge? I also tried Rockwool the first time but they died from damping. I think it might’ve been from using nuts in the Rockwool though. Might try it again with plain water. I also read that they are prone to algae and that’s why I decided to try perlite this time.

@BurnzYzBudZz 😂 it does look like cottage cheese in the pics. I’m not sure what video I saw that perlite makes it easy for transplanting into hydroponics.

threatco

threatco

thanks @threatco well how long you think I should keep the dome on for? Till the first set of true leave emerge? I also tried Rockwool the first time but they died from damping. I think it might’ve been from using nuts in the Rockwool though. Might try it again with plain water. I also read that they are prone to algae and that’s why I decided to try perlite this time.

@BurnzYzBudZz 😂 it does look like cottage cheese in the pics. I’m not sure what video I saw that perlite makes it easy for transplanting into hydroponics.

The Rockwool can also make the PH really high, so you have to factor that in by rinsing them for a good while, or pouring (4.5-5) ph water on them until their runoff comes out around 6.

I would leave it in there 2-3 days. then take it out every day for 30-60 mins or until it droops. then put it back in. when it seems to be healthy and no longer drooping from being out, leave it out. Should be within the week.

And don't spray it.

Ambitiousone

Ambitiousone

@threatco thanks for all the info. I’ll try that and take pics daily keep updating and hoping I get some killer nugs at the end of my journey.

Ambitiousone

Ambitiousone

@threatco she’s growing nicely and I took her out for 40min and put her back in the dome she didn’t even droop. Now my other seed popped but it still has a helmet I’m hoping it falls off. Here are some pics. It’s og kush and GDP btw.
0113EC91 D286 4A6D B2D7 7FC96CF916F7
0E7C134E 59B9 40A4 A6A1 6E123C83C359
F05C12C5 5D5D 4438 9D59 97097AFB3941
F5951022 81F1 4E8D A920 10E90338A748

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Ambitiousone

Ambitiousone

@Brotofsky I’m thinking about dripping water on it but I do have humidity domes on them you think that’s enough to soften it? I tried prying a seed off before and we’ll let’s say I don’t want to try it again 😂

andrienw

andrienw

@Brotofsky I’m thinking about dripping water on it but I do have humidity domes on them you think that’s enough to soften it? I tried prying a seed off before and we’ll let’s say I don’t want to try it again 😂
I tried pulling a shell off with a tweezers once and ripped the entire top off. However, it grew right back. I’m not saying do it, but I do know the end result was ok.

Rooke

Rooke

I tried pulling a shell off with a tweezers once and ripped the entire top off. However, it grew right back. I’m not saying do it, but I do know the end result was ok.
if you put a drop or 2 of water on it every 6 hours or so it will fall off on its own it may take a couple of days be patient And good luck on your grow!!

threatco

threatco

I would lean towards not touching/worrying about the seed shell. it will not stunt the growth or hurt anything. It's just cosmetic.

The seedling is looking great! And glad to hear it's handling longer in normal air without dropping.

Don't be shy to leave it out longer. If you're around to keep an eye on it, you should leave it out UNTIL it droops, and then put it back under the dome. This is called hardening and will make it acclimate to your grow environment faster than babying it.

Don't forget to keep watering it often since that perlite won't hold it for long.

Try not to get the plant its self or it's leaves wet. That's just asking for other problems.

I hope you keep us updated on the progress!

Ambitiousone

Ambitiousone

Not risking pulling it off or putting drops on it. Tbh it’s coming off on its own like @threatco said. It has falling over a bit trying she’s the shell off but the shell is cracking. I’ve been leaving the seedling out and today I left it out for like 3 hours it hasn’t dropped at all. I’m putting it back
in the dome while I sleep. I don’t want it to dry out since it’s in perlite. Thank for all the help threatco. Here are some pics

Top Bottom