Beginner questions on Living Soil: Large beds or individual pots (which size) for indoor growing?

• Thread starter Nerdlicht
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nerdlicht

Nerdlicht

Living soil growers like one bed because of the mycelium network. Plants can help each other, and talk to each other. Creates family environment for the plants.

Ahh, okay. Thank you, those are exactly the information I need to make a decision! :)

One large bed will be like having a terrarium that you take care of and enjoy. But it will be more difficult to move anything if you need to. I mounted my tent on a plywood sheet the same footprint as the tent, with small wheels underneath so I can push it around if I need to get behind or under it. If your using a watering system it could be helpful if there are ever spills.

Just like these here! The mobility and the larger amount of soil that I need are for me, at first glance, the biggest cons regarding a garden bed. Weighing these advantages and disadvantages against the possibility of a mycelium network is difficult for me.

Yesterday, I watched some videos from BuildASoil about the EarthBoxes. These seem to be a similarly good method for an autonomous irrigation system. Now I'm wondering what's better: Blumat versus EarthBox, that is, drip system versus wicking system... especially in conjunction with the use of "Living Soil" (yes, I know soil is fundamentally always living, but I write it this way to clarify what I mean).

I dont care what anyone says, organic soil isnt easy mode. If you want to do it and get the most out of your time and energy, you have to understand the role of microbes and see what their effects are on your plants. Proper watering is crucial, and thats something that most beginners struggle with. If you have an insanely large bed that is very difficult to dial in.

Okay, precisely because irrigation is so important, I thought that an irrigation system (when properly adjusted) might have advantages for beginners. Do you see it differently?

I had understood the advantages of organic soil to mean that you no longer care directly about the needs of the plant, but about the soil and its "inhabitants". You have, so to speak, a layer between you, the grower (beginner), and the plant, so that mistakes do not necessarily have immediate extreme consequences. To have this kind of security, I am, of course, willing to deal with what my soil needs or does not need. In this context, I'm naturally a bit confused when a product is advertised to me as "Living Soil" when I don't have to add anything more than tap water.

I know I likely came across as a bit of a dick in my last post. Being that you are new to growing I do care very much that you get information that is going to help you rather than setting you back. This stuff can get pretty expensive in a hurry. As you want an indoor living soil grow. Spend a little time looking into indoor living soil cannabis. You don't need to spend big bucks on fancy amended living soil. Simple Black earth soil is great stuff.

Oh, it's all good! :) I'm thankful for everything... of course, facts are best, on which I can then form my own opinion. But I also just take the opinions of others and try to draw something out for myself.

Money isn't a big issue for me at the moment. I will save so much money in the long run by growing myself, compared to before. If there is a product that already takes a lot off my hands on the way to "Living Soil", then I'm also willing to spend money on it for the first grow. Especially if I can reuse the substrate again and again and only have to add a little "FLO" new after each grow.

Later I will then definitely look for alternative, more cost-effective ways to create the perfect soil for me :)

I'll definitely binge through all the seasons of BuildASoil first :D

N

Natep

Ahh, okay. Thank you, those are exactly the information I need to make a decision! :)

Just like these here! The mobility and the larger amount of soil that I need are for me, at first glance, the biggest cons regarding a garden bed. Weighing these advantages and disadvantages against the possibility of a mycelium network is difficult for me.

Yesterday, I watched some videos from BuildASoil about the EarthBoxes. These seem to be a similarly good method for an autonomous irrigation system. Now I'm wondering what's better: Blumat versus EarthBox, that is, drip system versus wicking system... especially in conjunction with the use of "Living Soil" (yes, I know soil is fundamentally always living, but I write it this way to clarify what I mean).

Okay, precisely because irrigation is so important, I thought that an irrigation system (when properly adjusted) might have advantages for beginners. Do you see it differently?

I had understood the advantages of organic soil to mean that you no longer care directly about the needs of the plant, but about the soil and its "inhabitants". You have, so to speak, a layer between you, the grower (beginner), and the plant, so that mistakes do not necessarily have immediate extreme consequences. To have this kind of security, I am, of course, willing to deal with what my soil needs or does not need. In this context, I'm naturally a bit confused when a product is advertised to me as "Living Soil" when I don't have to add anything more than tap water.

Oh, it's all good! :) I'm thankful for everything... of course, facts are best, on which I can then form my own opinion. But I also just take the opinions of others and try to draw something out for myself.

Money isn't a big issue for me at the moment. I will save so much money in the long run by growing myself, compared to before. If there is a product that already takes a lot off my hands on the way to "Living Soil", then I'm also willing to spend money on it for the first grow. Especially if I can reuse the substrate again and again and only have to add a little "FLO" new after each grow.

Later I will then definitely look for alternative, more cost-effective ways to create the perfect soil for me :)

Jeremy Silva has a bunch of good info. I would also watch Leighton Morrison. His info on building horizons in your soil is really good. I would source local ingredients and make my own organic soil. When I made mine I use 1 part peat moss 1 part compost 1 part pumice then I added craft blend basalt and bio char. The craft blend and bio char are both from build a soil. I built my horizons fallowing Leighton Morrisons way. The guys are right by saying that the large bed is harder to water. My 4x4 I monitor with a eco wit soil moisture meter. When it gets below 35% I water. I try and water as even as possible. Best luck.

N

Natep

I understand that "Living Soil" is not a brand name, but Florganics is, and they have a product called "Flo" or "Dope Soil," which is a ready-to-use Living Soil that only needs to be activated over 14 days. I am referring specifically to this product in this case.

Just as I referred to the drip system from "Blumat" and had a specific question regarding the use of the "Blumat Maxi."

Thanks for the tip about the brain! :)

What are the advantages of an Earthbox/City Picker Pot over a Blumat drip irrigation system, which also operates autonomously?

Is "Build a Soil" also of interest to someone who does not want to build soil because they already purchase pre-mixed soil that only needs to be activated?
The earth boxes have a reservoir. When the roots reach it they will pull water as needed. The allows
Them to choose between water and food.

shaganja

shaganja

The earth boxes have a reservoir. When the roots reach it they will pull water as needed. The allows
Them to choose between water and food.
And if you make a large res, you can leave plants alone for up to a couple of weeks. They never drink too much, or too little. Removes watering stress completely. And for me personally, teaching roots to reach down for water indoors helps them begin searching as soon as they hit the dirt.

N

Natep

And if you make a large res, you can leave plants alone for up to a couple of weeks. They never drink too much, or too little. Removes watering stress completely. And for me personally, teaching roots to reach down for water indoors helps them begin searching as soon as they hit the dirt.
My large bed during about week 4 of veg drinks 5 gallons of water every day. Sometime I believe it has taken all the water out of the A horizon.

R

rolex1994

Sent u a pm

R

rolex1994

Hello everyone! :)

I'm planning to start my first grow soon and have decided to go with Living Soil. Mainly because everything I've read about it seems quite beginner-friendly. As far as I understand, I pretty much don't need to worry about adding fertilizers, the pH of the water, etc., and just need to give tap water from the growth phase to the flowering phase.

However, I still have a few questions and hope that some people here have experience with it and can answer them for me:

I plan to use "FLO" or "Dope Soil" (the 10% mix) from Florganics, and I've heard/read somewhere (can't find the source anymore) that large pots or even whole beds are preferable (with several plants) because the fluctuations in nutrient concentration are smaller in these.

There should never be more than 2 to 3 plants in a 120x60cm tent. What would you advise me at this point? A large bed like this:

https://www.ecothrive.co.uk/catalogue/grassroots-living-soil-beds-basic_187/

..and put all three plants in there? That would consume ~250L of Living Soil and cost about €300.

Or a pot for each plant like this: https://www.ecothrive.co.uk/catalogue/grassroots-living-soil-pots_155/

..and if so, what size?

I'm grateful for any tips! :)
Sent you a pm

Top Bottom