Beginner Setup Grow Tent - 3'x3' or 4'x8'

• Thread starter PLantAsEED
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

3'x3' vs 4'x8' tent

• Total voters
PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

Hello All, My first post so sorry if I run on.

Considering starting a basement grow tent for personal consumption in a state that legally allows <=12 plants. Budget is limited, trying to stay under $700 and I am looking to get around 12-16oz. per harvest minimum (I understand this may be lofty until I know what I am doing).

After some research I am considering going with:
- Tent: Mars Hydro 3'x3'x6' (I only have 73" of clearance!)
- LED: (2) Mars SP-150 LED (137 Watt from wall each, avg. 1.8g/watt yield)
- AC Infinity 6" fan and Carbon Filter
https://www.mars-hydro.com/by-coverage/3-x3-grow-lighting/grow-kit-3x3
https://www.acinfinity.com/duct-fan-systems/

This whole setup will run me about $600 and should cost around $25/month in electricity usage. Is this a good place to start for a beginner expecting the yields that high? How many plants would this space fit using LST or SCROG, 2-3/3-4? Would it be worth spending less money on items such as intake fan and cheaper LED? Should I forgo theese options and look into getting a 4'x8' tent with cheaper LED or alternative lighting such as HPS, CFL, ect.?

Also, is it better to have one large harvest or to have two smaller tents with 1-2 plants in flower and 1-2 plants in veg at all times?

Thank You!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I hate gram per watt cause it's very flawed but no way in hell will ya hit 1.8 gpw and be lucky to get 1gpw first grow.

Imo you biggest investment should be the light. Its commonly the bottle neck of growth in new growers setups.

A 3x3 with 4" fan is plenty.

If led you can get quantum boards from China that would be probably the best bang for buck in terms of led. Samsung diodes and meanwell drivers. This one is true 240w so almost double the one you listed with a more complete spectrum.

PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

Thanks for the link the prices do seem a bit to good to be true. Would I need 1 or 2 of the lights for a 3x3? Do you know how many would be needed for a 4x8? Thanks.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for the link the prices do seem a bit to good to be true. Would I need 1 or 2 of the lights for a 3x3? Do you know how many would be needed for a 4x8? Thanks.
You want about 40-50w for optimal light levels per sq foot so about 450w for a 3x3 but you can get away with less if your on a budget.

Yeah it does sound to good to be true but lots of people have good feedback. @Buzzer777 is the guy to talk to about these but I have heard nothing but good feedback.

BigCube

BigCube

I chose other. Get the tent you need for your situation.

Keep a few things in mind.

. Square tent means square light fixture

.Rectangular tent means rectangular fixture

.Tent Will be your grow environment size

.some other equipment needs to go in the tent

I chose 2 3x3 tents personally, for a few reasons. Mainly I want 2 separate flower chambers. So 2 tents. I have a small home made tent for a mother and some clones.

4x8 is actually very big. No way I could fit one in my spare room and still have other furniture. But 2 3x3s fit fine. If you go with a 4x8. Do yourself a favor and lay down a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the floor where you want it. Just to make sure. At that size you might as well just set up a room.

Bigger tents mean bigger fans bigger filters bigger light fixtures and most of all bigger money.

For example, the 2 fans I need for my 2 3x3s together cost half the price of a fan you would need for the 4x8.

I can flower in my 3x3s with 250 - 300 w of led, or CMH.

A 4x8 would take 800 - 1000 w
And would be harder to fill with light evenly.

It is ultimately up to you. But with the price of tents, lights and fans and all, coupled with the want for 2 separate flower chambers. 2 3x3x6 tents is what I ended up with.

If you have room for a 4x8 then you have room for 2 4x4s. I personally would be happier with 2 tents. You can have one veg and the other flower, or both flower, offset by a month or so. Easier to separate strains, grow styles and lights.

Good luck!

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I would go with the 3x3, it will be a lot easier to control your environment. I would also suggest going with the Mars TSW-2000, it is a good unit for a good price and will fill your 3x3 tent with light throughout. The cloudline fans are very good but 6" is too big, go with the 4". Make sure you have a small clip fan, one that oscillates would be ideal, to move air around the tent. I typically prefer doing a screen of green if I am only growing 1 variety and am harvesting all at the same time. When I have multiple varieties in my space I typically use bamboo stakes to support the branches. Finally don't forget to include pots, soil, and nutrients in your cost.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

You want about 40-50w for optimal light levels per sq foot so about 450w for a 3x3 but you can get away with less if your on a budget.

Yeah it does sound to good to be true but lots of people have good feedback. @Buzzer777 is the guy to talk to about these but I have heard nothing but good feedback.
TY @Aqua Man .. Just my 4 cents:

I think that a single 450 will be a bit shy for best coverage coverage..why not 2 of these for a few $$ more. I understand the budget thing. but would hate to buy twice. Later you can add a 3rd or even a 4th should that be desired (Dimmers work great)..

You would also have a "spare " one in case of emergency to at least keep the plants going until you could fix/replace the failed component.

C

CocoFun

I hate gram per watt cause it's very flawed but no way in hell will ya hit 1.8 gpw and be lucky to get 1gpw first grow.

Imo you biggest investment should be the light. Its commonly the bottle neck of growth in new growers setups.

A 3x3 with 4" fan is plenty.

If led you can get quantum boards from China that would be probably the best bang for buck in terms of led. Samsung diodes and meanwell drivers. This one is true 240w so almost double the one you listed with a more complete spectrum.

I absolutely agree I've gotten 2 gpw before then I've gotten about .3 gpw.
I'm a big fan of the Viparspectra xs series. Samsung 301 diodes, meanwell driver, excellent heat sink you can put your face on it and barely get warm. I run 2 xs1500s in a 3x4 (it sounds underpowered right???) it's incredible!!! I'm very surprised. cheers my fellow dopers

Top Bottom