Being a great breeder!?

• Thread starter bonkia
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bonkia

bonkia

Lots if debate on the forums and among old heads about breeding... Yet no one has many guild lines in it..

Selecting a male

Structure
Smell
Hallow
Smoke
Babies

All the old heads I've talked to say im way over thinking this.. I plan on doing a big selection very soon. Besides the obvious can anyone tell me anything that don't know. I understand IBL, backcrossing, recessive traits ect ect.

Natural

Natural

I like when DJShort talks about creating the Blueberry strain and how exotic sativas and landrace indicas were married together to create a better indoor hybrid varietal. Out of all the combos he tried the most successful combos he tried were bringing the male indica to the female sativa. ..food for thought anyway.
btw..how does one smoke the male?..or are you just referring to it's female counterpart?

mack 10

mack 10

hallow? you mean hollow stems?finding a good male is not over thinking,I'd do it the old way, do the cross then smoke it,pick the best and do it again, repeat as needed.
mack.

ps,is there was a lab we could send male samples to, that would take some of the guess work out, especially looking for high thc(or what ever) strains.
and has anyone done this yet?
mack.

bonkia

bonkia

Some people actually smoke the male flower.. Yes I ment hallow stems. I'm gonna keep 10 or so favorite males. Clone them and put the in this gel. It keeps them alive but, they don't grow. I'll test each males offspring one by one.

B

boxholland

Characteristics of the growth on the plants is what I look for. When I choose a male, if it comes from a hybrid and I want to retain the Indica traits I will generally pick a healthy fast growing short stalky male instead of the climbers. Just because a plant overgrows the rest doesn't mean it is going to have the best genetics for a quality smoke or the smoke you are looking to create.

I recently bred Sannies KO Kush male with the original GodBud mother I've had since 2002. Seeds are drying at the moment so it'll be a couple months before I get the results.

bonkia

bonkia

I like stretchy plants the way I grow requires it. My overall goal is to harden sour D nugs bring down the flowering time and keep or improve the yield and sour smell. I have a alien grenades that is just that but doesn't have the stretch.. I will make s1's out of her however, lots of debate over s1 as well. Crossing her with my best cut of sour d. It's the only way I can confidently select traits as of now.

B

boxholland

Cool. I'm wanting to try SD, but I'm content at the moment with my current strains. Especially the Green Crack. Haven't tried the smoke yet but it looks like the first true 6week finisher(soil) I have had.

Underdog OG is an extremely stretchy plant for an Indica dominant with hard nugs and a nice kush taste but it is hard to get ahold of given Loompa doesn't give it away. It grows a bit weird and best results are from soil but I'd go so far as to say about 23%THC. Testing her next time around.
BTW this is true UDOG grown from 1 out of 2 seeds found in a 1/2 lb from Loompa. SHHH!!

bonkia

bonkia

Cool. I'm wanting to try SD, but I'm content at the moment with my current strains. Especially the Green Crack. Haven't tried the smoke yet but it looks like the first true 6week finisher(soil) I have had.

Underdog OG is an extremely stretchy plant for an Indica dominant with hard nugs and a nice kush taste but it is hard to get ahold of given Loompa doesn't give it away. It grows a bit weird and best results are from soil but I'd go so far as to say about 23%THC. Testing her next time around.

I've grown out a few cuts of og and while I love the smell and nuggyness the stretch and yield and not what I'm looking for. I haven't grown a good cut of headband yet. I hear there are some killing ones out there.

B

boxholland

Not OG...underdog OG which is also different from Underdog. I grow both and Underdog is a completely different beast it stretches trust me.
I haven't been too impressed with any headband yet. But I'm chalking tha tup to inexperienced growers.

bonkia

bonkia

^^ ill have to look it up. That's all I need another strain to obsess over.. Lol

B

boxholland

In the foreground are a couple Green Cracks in the back UDOG. My OG doesn't stretch like that.
I tent to like my clones to stretch a bit before veg, but they STREEETTTCCCHHH. Both are 2 weeks. Cutting taken same time in a botanicare 25 spot cloner. DOn't really like these cloning machines other than the fact that you set it and leave it. I get better results with a humidome heat pad and peat pellets

Photo
bonkia

bonkia

In the foreground are a couple Green Cracks in the back UDOG. My OG doesn't stretch like that.
I tent to like my clones to stretch a bit before veg, but they STREEETTTCCCHHH. Both are 2 weeks. Cutting taken same time in a botanicare 25 spot cloner. DOn't really like these cloning machines other than the fact that you set it and leave it. I get better results with a humidome heat pad and peat pellets

Yah I fell for the hype of the clone machines. It's been under the house for 4 years lol went back to oasis cubes super fast.

bonkia

bonkia

That stretch looks right up my ally! ;) do you have a bud shot?

B

boxholland

Nope...this is the 2nd run of this strain. The first run I didn't clone but I tracked the guy down that I got it from talked him into taking more cuttings.

I'm about to send the mother into bloom so I could load pics over the next few weeks. I can't wait....my father in-law said it was almost too stoney. ;)

Just joined the site but been a longtime lurker. Growing 21 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom