Bending plant

• Thread starter Cjm2164
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cjm2164

Cjm2164

So if I bend the plant is this where the buds will come from?
I couldn't circle the area but it's the small leaves where the big leaves come out?
That would be awesome cause I don't have more height yet in grow area.

Bending plant
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I couldn't circle the area but it's the small leaves where the big leaves come out?
If you're running out of height I'd top it to allow the lower shoots to become branches. I top multiple time to keep the plants short

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
If you're running out of height I'd top it to allow the lower shoots to become branches. I top multiple time to keep the plants short
Can you give us some picture examples of how to properly top? I think I will need to top multiple times as well this crop. Thanks!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

The plant has a hormone that tells it to grow towards the light. The highest branch or main stem (which ever applies) has the most hormone. When you bend it over, those hormones shift and the other branches compete to be the "top" of the plant. This causes those lateral shoots to grow long and up towards the light. Many people top their plants. Personally, I would not with that plant. but whatever you decide is not "wrong" since this is a personal choice. If you bend it down all those little small leaves will grow long branches as they grow towards the light.

Topping a plant usually means a longer vegetation growth period. However topping a plant can also lead to impressive results. So before you chop, what is your goal? A quicker path to harvest or possibly more bud but a longer vegetation cycle. The other thing to keep in mind when you top is you loose part of the plant that would have produced bud. I prefer LST techniques over topping. I can achieve similar results because I can still bush out the plant ... but I'm leaving the main stem intact.

The choice is yours. Neither is wrong. Some plants respond well to topping. Some do not. Yours ... to grow it out, you will either have to bend it over or top it. It needs some time to develop the lateral branches.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
The plant has a hormone that tells it to grow towards the light. The highest branch or main stem (which ever applies) has the most hormone. When you bend it over, those hormones shift and the other branches compete to be the "top" of the plant. This causes those lateral shoots to grow long and up towards the light. Many people top their plants. Personally, I would not with that plant. but whatever you decide is not "wrong" since this is a personal choice. If you bend it down all those little small leaves will grow long branches as they grow towards the light.

Topping a plant usually means a longer vegetation growth period. However topping a plant can also lead to impressive results. So before you chop, what is your goal? A quicker path to harvest or possibly more bud but a longer vegetation cycle. The other thing to keep in mind when you top is you loose part of the plant that would have produced bud. I prefer LST techniques over topping. I can achieve similar results because I can still bush out the plant ... but I'm leaving the main stem intact.

The choice is yours. Neither is wrong. Some plants respond well to topping. Some do not. Yours ... to grow it out, you will either have to bend it over or top it. It needs some time to develop the lateral branches.
I agree with you that it's a bit late to top it but that would stop its vertical growth for a while. A single split at the top and tie down would force the undergrowth to grow. I'm a bit cut crazy, I just can't let a good top go uncut. I see a single top with 2 little shoots out the side lol snip! It does take me a heck of a long time to veg 2.5 months at least but I like the final outcome.😃 When in doubt... top it lol I like bushes over trees.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I agree with you that it's a bit late to top it but that would stop its vertical growth for a while. A single split at the top and tie down would force the undergrowth to grow. I'm a bit cut crazy, I just can't let a good top go uncut. I see a single top with 2 little shoots out the side lol snip! It does take me a heck of a long time to veg 2.5 months at least but I like the final outcome.😃 When in doubt... top it lol I like bushes over trees.

It's a personal choice, and I did check out some of the plants @PipeCarver has shared. He's had some impressive results! ... but to do that does take extra time.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Can you give us some picture examples of how to properly top? I think I will need to top multiple times as well this crop. Thanks!
Excuse my limited art skills. the ovals are leaves the little lines at the stalk are new shoots. on this pic you can cut at two different spots, right at the top where the new growth is coming out the top or below it where there are also two shoots coming out. The top one is closer to the shoots and takes care not to trim the top off the new shoots. The one below is easier but you lose a weeks growth. Every time you cut a top 2 will replace it so after this topping 2 tops will grow then top each one of those and so on until you have 8-12-16-32-64 tops with a plant only 3 ft tall

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Here's 1 topped above 4th node and 1 bent. Both w/ nodes 1&2 removed.
Thanks quirk. You explained it in layman's terms. I’ll snap a shot and if you jump over to my diary I’m sure mine are to young to top.

Lilolme

Lilolme

I tried a more radical approach to bending in order to get the tall top branches even with the bottom branches, I waited pretty late in veg as not to stress her too much. She never skipped a beat and is doing well in flower. Not suggesting you do this just sharing my experience with this plant.
2A8CE568 89D7 439C A44B EB1C8CAC7B36
55846BDA 50F6 4CCC 9F16 97423759DD39

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
I never top my plants.
I use two techniques, LST and super cropping.
Of course it depends on the plant type and your area.
In my mind I want "all" of my plant there when I harvest.
My last grow was 5 plants, LST used got me 49 ozs.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

even overnight, but a couple of days. it might be a little twisted, for a couple of days. then the stem and leaves turns towards the light. after LST a few times, you'll get it, nothing to it. LST is gentle form of manipulation, recovers quickly.

you can bend it, as soon as you can, again. the main tip will head towards the light, and grow taller. you can then train that new taller stem again, almost LST continuously. or you can leave the main tip to grow taller, and top. whatever you want...

get it to your desired shape by using LST (and/or other types of manipulation).

Cjm2164

Cjm2164

even overnight, but a couple of days. it might be a little twisted, for a couple of days. then the stem and leaves turns towards the light. after LST a few times, you'll get it, nothing to it. LST is gentle form of manipulation, recovers quickly.

you can bend it, as soon as you can, again. the main tip will head towards the light, and grow taller. you can then train that new taller stem again, almost LST continuously. or you can leave the main tip to grow taller, and top. whatever you want...

get it to your desired shape by using LST (and/or other types of manipulation).
I will post pics.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

My hedge from last round, untopped LST bending only.

@SkunkyDunk , How many plants do you have in that net? You're doing exactly what I'm about to do with my plants and I'm curious about spacing. I have 11 plants in a 5 x 5 ... but I also have a 4 x 4 area I can use. I think 11 would crowd a 5 x 5.

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
@SkunkyDunk , How many plants do you have in that net? You're doing exactly what I'm about to do with my plants and I'm curious about spacing. I have 11 plants in a 5 x 5 ... but I also have a 4 x 4 area I can use. I think 11 would crowd a 5 x 5.

Ha ha, it is a 3x6 with 5 plants, that pic is missing about a third of the bag. Each white square is 2x3.
It's all in the veg.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Ha ha, it is a 3x6 with 5 plants, that pic is missing about a third of the bag. Each white square is 2x3.
It's all in the veg.

Almost sounds like you're using a 2x3 fabric pot. If so, looks like it's working well for you so far.

Top Bottom