beneficial bacteria for organic only?

• Thread starter DirtyDrew
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DirtyDrew

HI everyone, Just asking if the use of beneficial bacteria in a non organic grow is helpfull. I have been having great results without it but want to give the plants the best!

Blaze

Blaze

You can use them in non-organic grows BUT the non-organic fertilizers are more likely to kill them and negate the beneficial effects. You might have to do a little tweaking (well a lot of tweaking probably) to figure out the right balance.

A lot of folks claim you can't use beneficial organisms with synthetic chemical ferts which is total BS. Many bacteria do in fact feed of ammonium, urea, and many of the other mineral ferts. Now, you can't use them at the same time or combine them, as this will indeed kill the bacteria, but if you keep them separate you should see the effects.

From what I've seen Aerated Compost Tea (ACT) which contains many beneficial bacteria, plus a whole host of other organisms, will benefit virtually any style of grow.

C

crippled1

I have been trying to get a definitive answer for this since I launched my latest grow. My plan was to switch from hydroton to coco to take advantage of the beneficials that thrive in it.
I am using the Microgrow soluble from Fungi Perfecti and thought they might be able to answer this question.
The answer I got was that if whatever nutrient you were applying was ok for the plant then it would be ok for the beneficials.
I then suggested that since I wanted to use synthetic nutes with these microbes that it might be a good idea to reapply more frequently.
This was met with a bit of silence and it was suggested to me that this would just be overkill.
She explained that once the organisms had established themselves with the host that they were there for the life of the plant.
I am merely repeating what I was told.

This article in Maximum Yield is about doing just what I had in mind.

While I do realize that the main role of beneficials is to break down nutrients and make them more available and this is not necessary with synthetics.
My main reason for using them is for their fungal pathogen destroying abilities. In addition to the fact that they produce bacillibactin and digest chitin to increase the amount of chitinase in the medium. Which helps to deter pests.
I don't really need them for their abilities to increase nutrient availability, I want them there to fuck up the bad guys.

Blaze

Blaze

I have not found a definitive answer either. I can tell you though that too much fertilizer does knock the population back and in turn causes nutrient uptake to drop among other things. So what is OK for the plants is not always OK for the organisms, not by a long shot. From what I have seen more frequent applications is the way to go; I apply them to my plants once a week, though I am in soil.

As for fucking the bad guys up....

Hard one to answer. You would probably need to figure out the specific organisms you wanted to cultivate and then figure out their tolerance to what ever you were using.

D

DirtyDrew

Thanks for the help Blaze and Crippled1. I will continue research and get back to the boards.

C

crippled1

I think this is pretty much the answer you'll get...

"Micro-organisms such as mycorrhizae form symbiotic relationships with the plant and are found in soil. They're great for improving the uptake of water and minerals from the soil. However, when you're growing hydroponically, the plant always has access to all of the water and dissolved minerals it needs. As a result, there is little value from using this type of beneficial bacteria when growing hydroponically."

I don't know if coco was around when this was the concensus. Since coco is more like soil than hydro, it seems like it would make a good home.

B

BoCo Buds

If you're talking straight bacteria... then they work wonders as an inoculant... be it for the coir/medium or the water. Really like H&G RE at super low rates for a regular solution inoc.

But any of them (bacteria and/or fungi) will take to the coir perfectly. U dry the coir out... u kill the bene's. Pretty much the only issue i've ever seen. Peace

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

H@G reccomends that you innoculate your coir with Great white bacteria so i would imagine that they help even with chem ferts. I add them to my weekly flush so that the chem ferts dont kill them. I just use humic as ph down with a bit of cal mag and great white at least for the first 4 weeks of flower and every week of veg.

Thriv3

Thriv3

I replenish my micro herd on days that im not feeding and it seems to work. With alil bud candy/ or molasses about 2 mils per gallon, hygrozyme at 10 mils per gallon and just use the bene's product of your choice. I keep feeding bene's through week 5. Just my .2 good luck!!!

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

i run h&g and plan on running great white because, of that recommendation. i've been mixing micorrhizae(rooters) with my coco and perlite mix with great results. been brewing mayan microzyme along with honey es and feeding every two weeks and my plants love it. it seems the sativa dominate plants benefit the most.

not a micro but, an organic additive that frosty ups my plants is purple max. i add it to my personal amended h&g schedule the beginning of flower and by week 4 my plants start to look like the north pole in the middle of the winter.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

not a micro but, an organic additive that frosty ups my plants is purple max. i add it to my personal amended h&g schedule the beginning of flower and by week 4 my plants start to look like the north pole in the middle of the winter.[/QUOTE]

I dont like humboldt simply because they write on their bottle that their nutes are experimental. That bottle has said experimental for at least 4 years. Like if you have been selling a product for 4 years, and still don't have $ to do experiments to prove your product, I don't want to support you. I dont like AN but what would you rather hear from your nute manufacturer? 100% money back garentee or "Experimental, not responsible if this product screws your plants up" just my .02

C

Cheeseus

You can defiantly run bennies in an non-organic res. In a non organic res i like to run what i call a "DIRTY RES". Clean your res with Pysan20, Brew straight Casting Tea, Fill Res with RO or declorinated water. Inoculate your res with Casting tea, run for 48 hours then add your nutes. Keep intruducing bennies every 48 to 72hrs via EWC tea. You "can" feed bennies in the res but be careful cause not only bennies with multiply with feeding. Basic idea here is to keep your bennie count high enough to protect your plant natural system within the res.

Top Bottom