Beneficials And Sulphur

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Hey everybody! I have a few questions about sulphur and using bennies- one, would sulphur burning have any effect on beneficials that were foliar sprayed? I'm making tea and using it in conjunction with sulphur burning (vaporizing), and I think it's working...I'm also putting tea in the soil so it's hard to tell.
On that note, would magnesium sulfate products pose any threat to microbials? I know the salt is broken down fairly quickly into it's respective chemicals, and alot of the sulphur gets left behind...I currently use between 8-15 ml/4 L every watering in flower of magnesium sulfate/cane sugar products, think that there are any negative impacts to the micro life?

As I said, I'm currently both burning sulfur and using magnesium sulfate, as well as applying and foilar spraying benefiecials tea. The tea is working and doing every job I had hoped, but I'm just wondering if by using either of these techniques I am preventing my microherd from reaching it's full potential.

Thank you everybody, cheers!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Hey everybody! I have a few questions about sulphur and using bennies- one, would sulphur burning have any effect on beneficials that were foliar sprayed? I'm making tea and using it in conjunction with sulphur burning (vaporizing), and I think it's working...I'm also putting tea in the soil so it's hard to tell.
On that note, would magnesium sulfate products pose any threat to microbials? I know the salt is broken down fairly quickly into it's respective chemicals, and alot of the sulphur gets left behind...I currently use between 8-15 ml/4 L every watering in flower of magnesium sulfate/cane sugar products, think that there are any negative impacts to the micro life?

As I said, I'm currently both burning sulfur and using magnesium sulfate, as well as applying and foilar spraying benefiecials tea. The tea is working and doing every job I had hoped, but I'm just wondering if by using either of these techniques I am preventing my microherd from reaching it's full potential.

I will do some research on this and get back to you shortly.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter

magnesium sulfate: yes.

copper sulfate: no no.

COCOLOCO

COCOLOCO

Pretty sure all sulfates are anti-microbial to diff degrees.. High residual also..

Quantum9

Quantum9

MgSO4 breaks down to about 9.8% mg and 13% S after oxidization. unless your seriously over doing it, there should be no issues.

As for the Sugars, what is the goal of using them? The sugar molecule is too large to be uptaken by the rhizosphere. Also plants exude glucose all of the time as waste, so they do not need more, and they are providing food for the bennies.

If it is to feed the benies, then you should find a monosaccharide that will feed both fungus as well as bacteria.

Sugar also has a slight negative charge, so it will bond to cations and aid in leeching.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

MgSO4 breaks down to about 9.8% mg and 13% S after oxidization. unless your seriously over doing it, there should be no issues.

As for the Sugars, what is the goal of using them? The sugar molecule is too large to be uptaken by the rhizosphere. Also plants exude glucose all of the time as waste, so they do not need more, and they are providing food for the bennies.

If it is to feed the benies, then you should find a monosaccharide that will feed both fungus as well as bacteria.

Sugar also has a slight negative charge, so it will bond to cations and aid in leeching.
Which monosaccharides would you suggest for tea brewing vs. making an isotonic leaching solution?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
magnesium sulfate: yes.

copper sulfate: no no.
What's the sulfur in the prills? It's very yellow and smells just like that one place we used to pass around Baton Rouge on our way to New Orleans from Shreveport when I was a kid. Looks and smells like elemental S to me.

I've found many citations and scientific reference to plants taking up various simple sugar molecules through root tissue. In this context I would assume that the sugars are being used to feed microbes, more specifically bacteria. What sugars would feed both fungi and bacteria? Inquiring minds want to know! I've been using stuff like fish hydrolysate to feed fungi.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
What's the sulfur in the prills? It's very yellow and smells just like that one place we used to pass around Baton Rouge on our way to New Orleans from Shreveport when I was a kid. Looks and smells like elemental S to me.

I've found many citations and scientific reference to plants taking up various simple sugar molecules through root tissue. In this context I would assume that the sugars are being used to feed microbes, more specifically bacteria. What sugars would feed both fungi and bacteria? Inquiring minds want to know! I've been using stuff like fish hydrolysate to feed fungi.

Do you mean the sulfur you burn for PM ?

ttystikk

ttystikk

The OP mentioned that he was burning sulphur and wanted to know if that impacted the beneficials in the foliar spray he was using.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thank you, that's what I was hoping (otherwise I had it all wrong!). :)

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
The OP mentioned that he was burning sulphur and wanted to know if that impacted the beneficials in the foliar spray he was using.

I didn't see that part. I am looking in to elemental sulfur now.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter

Vaporizing elemental sulfur will kill bennies on the leaf surface, and when vaporizing sulfur one needs to wait 15 days before introducing bennies again. Unless, you wash the leaves and plant after sulfur application.

Sorry I did not see that you were burning sulfur in the beginning. I thought you were only applying it to soil in the form of mag sul and cop sul... I really need to pay closer attention to some of these questions.

So to fully answer the question:

Burning elemental sulfur in conjunction with using bennies via foliar spray is a bad idea.
Using Magnesium Sulfate as a supplement when feeding is ok
Using copper sulfate as a supplement when feeding is a bad idea.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
CuSO4 is used to kill invertebrates (aquatic snails and the like) as well as being a decent fungus treatment.

R

roasthawg

Vaporizing elemental sulfur will kill bennies on the leaf surface, and when vaporizing sulfur one needs to wait 15 days before introducing bennies again. Unless, you wash the leaves and plant after sulfur application.

Sorry I did not see that you were burning sulfur in the beginning. I thought you were only applying it to soil in the form of mag sul and cop sul... I really need to pay closer attention to some of these questions.

So to fully answer the question:

Burning elemental sulfur in conjunction with using bennies via foliar spray is a bad idea.
Using Magnesium Sulfate as a supplement when feeding is ok
Using copper sulfate as a supplement when feeding is a bad idea.
I burn sulfur with great success as a preventative for pm. Haven't seen a hint of pm since I started burning sulfur... twice a week from veg thru week 4. Will this effect my use of tea via soil drench? I hate not being able to foilar the tea as well... I want to prevent mold and pests which sulfur doesn't help with. Scared of having an issue with pm if I quit burning sulfur though... decisions, decisions!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I burn sulfur with great success as a preventative for pm. Haven't seen a hint of pm since I started burning sulfur... twice a week from veg thru week 4. Will this effect my use of tea via soil drench? I hate not being able to foilar the tea as well... I want to prevent mold and pests which sulfur doesn't help with. Scared of having an issue with pm if I quit burning sulfur though... decisions, decisions!

It will not affect the soil but it will affect the leaf surface.

Top Bottom