Berry Bomb in a Mail Box

• Thread starter gorillaglueaaron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I will be curious to see how well the plant develops its root system with a wide sallow foot print. I believe it will still consume the whole area. But time will tell.
Me too. I'm hoping it won't make a huge difference especially since it's a clone so it doesn't have a tap root.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
And she's off!
She had some deficiency because I was watering her with just pH water. Anyway, it's all solved now and new growth has finally started. I'm planning to just skip the topping and instead start with lst in a spiral. I also thought this pic was pretty cool and wanted to show it off.
IMG 4130

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
So I pretty much forgot about this plant and have been totally neglecting it. It's not doing too well but I think the pot shape has something to to with it because it has a ton of roots growing out the bottom and some coming over the top of the soil. If someone wants to help me try and save it then be my guest but I think it's a lost cause.
IMG 0146

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So I pretty much forgot about this plant and have been totally neglecting it. It's not doing too well but I think the pot shape has something to to with it because it has a ton of roots growing out the bottom and some coming over the top of the soil. If someone wants to help me try and save it then be my guest but I think it's a lost cause.
View attachment 1113452

looking over watered and the medium looks muddy.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Any suggestions of what to do? The whole container is basically in the saturation zone.

Well I never used coco but I would let that pot dry out nice and light. Maybe a coco grower will chime in now that we bumped your thread up. What was the ec (ppm) of the runoff?

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Well I never used coco but I would let that pot dry out nice and light. Maybe a coco grower will chime in now that we bumped your thread up. What was the ec (ppm) of the runoff?
Couldn't tell you without watering again.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I agree, let her dry out a little. Not like bone dry, but enough that it doesn't look so muddy. Even if the root development is strong, she's still a youngin and susceptible to overwatering -- even in coco.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Well, it's taking about a week each time for the pot to dry out even a bit. Maybe not enough ventilation.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
That could be a multifaceted issue. About how much volume of media is in the container? With seedlings and clones, solo cups of coco can take three or four days to dry out enough to warrant a next watering. Once the roots are robust, it's a different story. You could increase ventilation in the interim and that should help. The media staying wet that long is begging to have gnats take hold soon, in addition to a whole slough of other issues causes by stagnantly wet media like that, including root rot.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That could be a multifaceted issue. About how much volume of media is in the container? With seedlings and clones, solo cups of coco can take three or four days to dry out enough to warrant a next watering. Once the roots are robust, it's a different story. You could increase ventilation in the interim and that should help. The media staying wet that long is begging to have gnats take hold soon, in addition to a whole slough of other issues causes by stagnantly wet media like that, including root rot.

All my young plants go a week to 10 days between watering the first time or two in each pot. I don’t get gnats unless I water them more often than they need. And I never got root rot. I grow in potting soil not coco but I don’t see the difference there.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
All my young plants go a week to 10 days between watering the first time or two in each pot. I don’t get gnats unless I water them more often than they need. And I never got root rot. I grow in potting soil not coco but I don’t see the difference there.
There's something about coco that gnats love, especially when it stays wet at the surface. Plenty of threads about that and ways to deal with it. One cannot treat coco like soil either, it's a soilless medium and as such presents the same susceptibility to root rot as rockwool or other inert medias. Hell, soil does too if you leave it soaked long enough and the plant somehow doesn't just outright drown.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Very late update:

I'm slowly making my way back to posting again, so here's how the plant turned out.

I ended up having a bit of trouble with the plant for different reasons than I had thought. I didn't implement enough ventilation into the box and the coco wasn't drying out quickly enough but I kept pushing through and ended up with a decent little plant in the end.
I stopped taking a lot of pictures as it got later in the growing stages but here are a few I found:

IMG 0432
IMG 0618
IMG 0683
IMG 0684 1
IMG 1056

I can't remember the exact yield but I believe it was just over half an oz.

Top Bottom