Best Additives For Third Year Soil??? Commercial Scale/

• Thread starter MendoGiantZ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Hey everyone, I have been using my soil for the past two years and am wondering what everyone thinks are the best additives to keep my soil the best... This year I emptied all of my 200 gallon pots onto a massive tarp and covered the entire thing with cover crops I got from my local nursery... I am going to head up to sparetime supply in Willits and spend some $$$$ in the next couple weeks... Going to get bulk chicken manure, trace minerals , kelp meal, Blood meal, Bone meal ( lots of bone meal)... what else do people like???

GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

Hey everyone, I have been using my soil for the past two years and am wondering what everyone thinks are the best additives to keep my soil the best... This year I emptied all of my 200 gallon pots onto a massive tarp and covered the entire thing with cover crops I got from my local nursery... I am going to head up to sparetime supply in Willits and spend some $$$$ in the next couple weeks... Going to get bulk chicken manure, trace minerals , kelp meal, Blood meal, Bone meal ( lots of bone meal)... what else do people like???
Glacier rock dust
Worms or worm casting
Epson salt

Last edited:
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Good compost always helps. My only issue with bone/blood meal is that it attracts critters. Last year that included my neighbor's dog. I like guano, but prefer seabird guano as it's easier to find ethically sourced product. Dolomite or Oyster shell is good for pH buffering. Possibly something for aeration if you need it.

I was pretty set to place an order with buildasoil.com, but then found http://paoniasoilco.com/ through a fellow farmer. The local reseller is offering their pre-mixed soil, good for full season plants, for $277 a yard delivered. I like their mix a lot better too. Not too shabby.

outwest

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

@outwest were kinda in a backyard so we don't have to worry about bears and other animals going after the blood meal or bone meal :). The guy I lease from is a cat person. Definitely gonna add seabird guano as well as other bat guanos to the list of dry fertilizers. Spare time in willits has the mocha bat guano (it's one of my favorites ). Definetly gonna add way more aeration this year. The bigger perlite chunks and lots more of it. I also have been getting a lot of stalk rot so as someone else mentioned I'm gonna put the starts in much taller larger pots and leave the top of the pot I transplant from about and inch or two out of the soil so the stalk doesn't ever sit in any water.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Here is what a test should look like......tells you so much.

Soil test 2 16 16

I paid about 300$ for these tests in total, which includes the co2 respiration tests. If you had a test like this done, you would know exactly where you are overloaded, and where needs amending. Which in turn, tells you what your plants will want out of the soil in the following year. If your P or K levels are too high from last year, that will throw your cations off. Causing many problems.

This is the next step in your canna game, IMO.

Good luck.

Top Bottom