Best/biggest Chiller around $1000?

• Thread starter JohnnyScience
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JohnnyScience

Looking to pick up a high quality chiller, budget is about $1000

What would you guys suggest?

I'm only planning on using this to run a Hydro Innovations cO2 generator & a dehumidifier & possibly in nute reservoir

I see Ecoplus has a 1 HP chiller for around $974 & their 1.5 HP chiller is around $1174, so a difference of $200 and it's a huge jump in HP for that little bit of money, so I would probably just go with the 1.5 at that point.

How is their quality though?

Chillkings are obviously one of the best, but out of my price range.

For my price, what is the biggest/best chiller I can get?

Thanks.

deacon1503

deacon1503

Ive got a 1hp and a few 1.5hp of the commercial line ecoplus chillers with no problems yet. Quiet too. Dont forget an inline pre filter for the hydrogen. I stopped using mine after problems with it reigniting.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I got my 2 Ton chillking used with a bunch of related goodies for around $1600. Yes it was a hell of a deal for which I am grateful, and I suggest looking around for used gear to stretch your dollars. If you limit your search to top quality used equipment, maintenance and repair issues are less likely.

I would ask those who know their chiller gear for their best advice, and follow it!

My advice is less about the make and model and more about what you'll do with it; I found several extra jobs for my chiller to do beyond what I'd originally got it for, plus I have plenty of excess capacity for really hot days or what have you. The nice thing about buying a chiller that's 'too big' is that it only runs when it's needed. It isn't costing you a dime in power when it isn't running, which makes it very efficient even with all that excess capacity on board.

Bubba kush

Bubba kush

I got a rockwool thing going on right now and don't need it. When I get more space I'm going to do another uc run. As of now I'm very happy with my Biggie cube grow. I have more ladies in the same space

S

seebobsled

I have the 1.5 hp commercial lines ecoplus chiller. I like it a lot. It does have a beep on startup that can be quieted. Also I would recommend an external temp controller so you can expand the swing because it only has a 2 degrees built-in. Ecoplus hp. numbers do not rate in btu. 1.5hp =
12,000btu fyi.

J

JohnnyScience

Seems a lot of people like Ecoplus (on other forums as well) And few also suggested Pacific Coast.

Who has the better warranty?

Are there any other manufacturers that should be taken into consideration that are high quality?

I have read that you shouldn't go with an aquarium chiller as they aren't designed for the stress of a grow room, is this true? On another forum others are saying there is no difference?

I understand that biggest isnt always best, but I wanted to get at least a 1 hp - 1.5 hp chiller for around $1000 that is very high quality.

As mentioned, at this point the only thing I think I need a chiller for is to run my Hydro Innovations cO2 generator, dehumidifier & nute reservoir. But leaving some head room in order to add something at a later date is also considered into the situation, that's why I'd like to go to 1.5 hp if affordable.

Do I even need a 1.5 hp chiller or would even a 1 hp be overkill?

I want my chiller to be rated "overkill" so it won't have to work as hard therefore extending it's life.

I also plan on hooking everything up to a Controller in order to control all functions. (Probably an iPonic 600 controller)

Should I expect a lot of heat being generated by a 1-1.5 hp chiller? Remember, I'm going all LED...

J

JohnnyScience

I know I've read it other places as well, but this is what watercooledgardens.com says about aquarium chillers in their FAQ:
17. But the aquarium chiller I am looking at says it is a 1 HP chiller and can cool water very cold, whatā€™s wrong with these?
Aquarium chillers and commercial chillers are very different. Aquarium chillers are not made to used under a constant load of heat...they are designed to only maintain the temperature of a body of water, therefore the increasing heat from high-intensity lights or from CO2 burners is much more than they can handle, thus they do not operate as efficiently or anywhere near their ratings. We have tested these personally and noticed almost 50% less cooling capacity than their ratings. Customers have also noticed this, when they first purchased aquarium chillers and could not cool their lights with Ice Boxes, then switched to ChillKing chillers and saw the difference.
Thoughts?

ttystikk

ttystikk

cutting and pasting a long response I don't wish to retype, but I think this could answer a lot of yur questions about why a big chiller might make sense for you, and how to install it:

I have pretty limited experience with different brands of chiller. Basically only I've played with two approaches; a little chiller for every pot so to speak, and the big 2 Ton Chillking 'window mount' unit I got from a fellow farmer who was fed up with trying to make it work for him. This chiller draws 8.5amps at 240v, and it cools everything I've got while running less than half the time.

The way I made the system work is a bit involved, so bear with me;
Two things you gotta avoid at all costs; one is running dry cuz that'll kill your pump, and the other is loss of flow through a running chiller, cuz it will freeze and destroy itself. I got a 55 gallon drum reservoir, and placed my 1/2 hp Flotec pump underneath it so it would ALWAYS be primed. Side note; I had to buy nylon reinforced hose to run from res. to pump inlet, because the thing develops so much suction it was sucking weaker hoses flat- and killing flow. This also caused the pump to cavitate, which if allowed to continue will destroy the impellor.

The main 1" outlet from the pump goes to a splitter/reducer, then 3/4" lines go on to a couple custom manifolds I kitbashed from Pex brand 6 way copper manifold body and a half dozen 1/2" valves. I used a shitload of hose clamps and tubing to assemble all this. These become the 'inlet' manifolds, or the cold side.

From the inflow manifolds (one in each main room), I run 1/2" lines to 8" Ice Boxes with 8" maxfans blowing through them and hung from the ceiling. These fans are run by the environmental controller, and cool sealed growroom air very effectively. More 1/2" lines go to 15' copper coils in my RDWC (recirculating deep water culture) system, it's much like a UC. Water constantly flows over these coils and around the system, keeping roots nice n cool. I even built a circuit for a cooling coil that my aerocloner sits on, to help pull heat from its waterpump.

On the return side, I used more of the same 6 way manifolds and valves, so all the circuits go back to one of these manifolds. This are the 'outflow' manifolds, or the warm side. The valves are on both the inflow and outflow manifolds, so I can isolate any circuit I want and remove it for cleaning, replacing gear, moving stuff around, etc, without ever needing to shut the system itself down. I have a few extra spots on the manifolds to add more circuits to later, again, without needing to shut the pump and chiller down.

Return water flows from the manifolds through 3/4" lines directly to the 55 gallon reservoir. They do NOT get 'collected' with outflow from other manifolds, to keep return pressure lower than inflow pressure.

So where's the chiller fit in, you ask? On the faceplate of the flotec pump, there are a couple of nuts that you can screw fittings into. One of these feeds a 1/2" line that runs directly to the chiller and its return line also drops into the 55 gallon reservoir. This way the chiller always sees water directly from the pump so water starvation or slow flow issues are minimized.

The water running through the chiller system never interacts directly with water anywhere else. This allows you to run propylene glycol in 50% solution to improve performance even further, if you so desire. Do NOT run ethylene glycol because it's toxic and any leak into a hydro system would be disastrous. If you want to go this extra step (I didn't), I still recommend you run straight water until your whole system has been running for a few days- this will allow you to find and fix the inevitable leaks. The hardest leak to find is the one connecting your cooling coils in the hydro system- unless you lift the coil out of the water and inspect it, the only way you'll know it's leaking is when your system mysteriously overflows! Yeah, made that mistake too, lol.

Results? Shockingly good! Seriously. I don't have an issue with AC drying out my rooms, or having to constantly chase after the maintenance needs of a half dozen smaller cooling units. I run my water at about 60 degrees, this is just high enough to eliminate sweating on the manifolds and hoses or water spraying out of the Ice Boxes. For condensation/ dehumidification functions, water needs to be colder than this, Hydro Innovations runs inlet water for their air handlers at 45. Because of this, I chose to run a separate dehumidifier. 60 degrees also happens to be perfect for cooling an RDWC system, because I want that water to stay at 62-64. This way, I don't need to run any thermal switch on the cooling coils for them, it's constant flow.

Efficiency is also very good, as chillers, cooling dense water, tend to be about twice as efficient as AC. This goes double if your climate is arid and/or high altitude- AC needs mass in the air for it to work properly and if it's not there efficiency goes to hell fast- and in any case the cool won't carry further than the front of the unit. By contrast, cold water will cool anywhere you can run tubing to, even 50 or 100 feet away if necessary.

Okay, so it's a pain to set up. There is additional up front cost for hoses, manifolds, fittings, valves, pump, res., etc. You'll start making that investment back the minute you turn it on, and eventually the savings will pay for the whole thing by comparison to using AC. On the bright side, if you're running hydro, you're already used to dealing with circulating water, right?

If all this sounds like I'm a walking advertisement for water cooling, well, all I can say is that it proved that it's a better solution and thus made me a believer. Hell, I'm even gonna rig up another Icebox and Maxfan in my living room and use it to keep my tushie cool all summer!

J

JohnnyScience

For my requirements, do you guys think I need 1 or 1.5 hp, still leaving head room so the thing isn't maxed out?

S

seebobsled

If you are considering using an additional airconditioner and are looking at the ecoplus commercial chillers 1hp or 8000btu. Now if you are considering adding an ice box go with the 1.5 hp ecoplus commercial chiller which is truly 12,000 btu. For some reason all of the Overseas manufactures rate horsepower over by 25 percent on average. Chillkings are the only ones that rate Chillers at or above to btu rating for the horsepower.

S

seebobsled

.If you can put a res outside run your c o 2 generator on a separate reservoir and pump with no chiller. Put the reservoir in a shaded area and don't worry about chilling it.

J

JohnnyScience

First, how do you run multiple feeds for a handful of equipment on a single chiller? I would have a total of 4 feeds needed explained here:

Well as I mentioned the #1 reason for this is running a Hydro Innovations cO2 generator - not really sure how many gallons that requires, but I'm sure less than 100.

I also want to hook up a dehumidifier to the system in-case it's needed, I honestly don't know what kind I would get or how much it would need, but lets give it 100g as well.

Now the last thing I can think of, at least for now that would require cooling are the nute reservoirs.

This will be a 2 room grow, one veg/mothers & the other flower, so technically I will need 2 separate nute reservoirs based on the stage the different rooms will need of nute strength.

But even taking that into consideration, I'd imagine 50g reservoir per room, so another 100g total.

Lets add an extra 50g reservoir to the chiller system itself so it never goes dry & I think even with a lot of cushion we are only at 350g for the whole system.

What I'm confused about is that most 1 HP chillers I see say they do up to 30* cooling on 700g such as the:

http://www.pacificcoastchiller.com/contents/en-us/p2.html

And this other 1 HP I found:

But the ones listed on watercooledgardens say that the 1 HP Ecoplus is only rated for 2-400 gallons & the 1.5 HP does 3-500 HP. Take a look at their Ecoplus model comparision chart:

Why does WCG under rate the Ecoplus' so much compared to the other 1 HP chillers?

Shouldn't a 1 HP Ecoplus be able to give the same 30* cooling on 700g like the Pacific Coast & Aqua Euro chillers?

If all of those specs are correct, I'd rather swing for the 1 HP since it will still leave plenty of head room for my grow, but also draw much less electricity than a 1.5 HP instead of wasting it.

The 1 HP Ecoplus is the best deal, but if it really only does the 2-400 gallons I may opt for the slightly more expensive Pacific Coast or Aqua Euro just to save electricity in the long run.

What do you guys think?

J

JohnnyScience

C-1000 1 HP Aquarium Chiller - $1215 + shipping

Aqua Euro USA Max Chill 1 HP Titanium Aquarium Chiller - AquaCave.com - $1059 + $120 for shipping

Watercooledgardens.com :: Chillers - Residential :: Ecoplus 1.5 hp Commercial Chiller - $1174 + $100 for shipping (the 1 HP is $984 + shipping)

It does seem as if the Ecoplus 1.5 HP for $1174 + shipping is the best deal of them all though.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Quick correction in your thinking, brother; since a chiller is chilling water, it can- and should- shut off occasionally. So, if your cooling setup needs, say, 8000BTu and your chiller cranks out 12k (actual as opposed to advertised for this example), then it's going to shut off for roughly 1/3 of the time. No wasted power running unnecessarily. If you ran a 1hp chiller, the poor thing would never shut off, which apparently leads to premature compressor failure since it never gets a chance to cool off.

This is actually the reason why you want to have a reservoir in your water cooling circuit; so the chiller can build up a thermal cushion and shut off for a bit and rest.

I answered the how-to of multiple circuits from one chiller above, post #10 in this thread.

Personally, I would NOT run your chiller to cool your CO2 burner directly, unless you really, really like throwing away money. For this application, build a completely different circuit that goes to some kind of radiator outside and blow air through it that doesn't have anything to do with your grow. Or, you could put this radiator somewhere in your house, blow air through it and it would at least partly heat your home in the winter with the 'waste' heat gnerated by the unit.

Keep in mind that the 'NextGen' liquid cooled CO2 burner is actually a painted and rebranded propane shower water heater- it's designed to kick on automatially whenever water passes through its switch. That's why there's a battery operated peizo starter in it. Therefore, to operate your CO2 burner, what you do is control the operation of the pump that pushes water through it, be that manually or via a CO2 controller.

Also, hydro innovations has a dual circuit chiller that kicks out 60 degree water to cool air in grow spaces and water in RDWC systems, and another that puts out 45 degree water for their air handler unit, which dehumidifies. After looking carefully at my options, I decided not to run my single output chiller below 60, since the efficiency losses didn't justify trying to run a dehuey section from it. In my case, I just got a standalone Frigidaire 70 pint unit. So far, so good on how this is working out... just make sure the hot dry output from your dehuey isn't blowing on any of your girls- or they'll be toast.

I wouldn't bother cooling nutrient reservoirs, since there aren't any plants in them. They may be full of nutes but they should also be in total darkness to prevent foreign growths.

Again as mentioned above, I set my chiller's water output temps to maintain a 60 degree temp in the waterlines I use to cool everything- I did this specifically to match the needs of my RDWC. Top-off water even from warm nute reservoirs will trickle in slowly enough for this approach to keep up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom