Best budget LED for 2X2?

• Thread starter Waxwingz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Waxwingz

Waxwingz

Okay lost of different posts out there about LEDs, but I trying to narrow down to a few proven options specific for this space. I have a Roleadro 600W white full spectrum. Its a cheap light but trying to go with what I can afford.

thanks all

PS. looking for something up to 200ish dollars.

Anthem

Anthem

In theory that light should be fine. I use a true 646 watts of LED for 25 square feet and pull 2 1/2 per light. So I am only getting just under 26 watts per square foot. Watts is just a quick way for someone to tell in the light is not what is being advertised. Your light is assumed to be 600 watts and some where on the advertisement it probably says replaces a 600 watt HPS. The way the Chinese advertise these lights is like this. They take the number of LED and lets say they put a 10 watt driver on the LED. So they will have 60 LEDs and call it 600 watts. But NO ONE drives the LED's at 100 percent. If you want a quality light start comparing umol/s. The light I mentioned above is the Gavita 1700 and it puts out 1700 uMOL/s. If you want to really understand the light requirements of the plant watch the youtube video by bruce bugbee. He spells out the exact light requirements of Cannabis and it is in terms you can understand. he takes micro mols and turns them into mols and tells you exact how many mols the plant can handle.
The light thing gets asked about 3 or 4 times a week on this site. It is sad because the Chinese do such a great job of making their lights seem like the best thing on the market but they are a piece of shit. Which makes people feel shitty because they did their homework to the best of their ability and know they feel insulted because someone replies to their post the light is a piece of shit, but to be honest just about everyone on this site got suckered at least one. BESTVA got me, but I got them back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

420charlie

420charlie

I’m using a Mars Hydro TS1000 in my 3x3, it’s getting the job done but towards the edges I’ve got some light loss. It would kill it in a 2x2. About $220 Canadian on Amazon.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I’m using a Mars Hydro TS1000 in my 3x3, it’s getting the job done but towards the edges I’ve got some light loss. It would kill it in a 2x2. About $220 Canadian on Amazon.

Add a 120w quantum board - probably find that for around $100 including shipping.
Replace current light - 240w quantum board W dimmer - about $160 including shipping.

I'd consider those 2 options if you want to spend for more light. Otherwise, use the light you have. 4 ft sq isn't a lot to light so you don't need a huge light to light it ... and with training techniques you can still get a decent yield.

Edit: The dimmer allows you to adjust your watts down. That 240w light is over-kill for your tent, but really a smart purchase if you intend to move up to maybe a 4 x 4 because then you would only need to add another 240w board.

Keep in mind if your leds are high quality (good spectrum and intensity), 135 real watts in a 2 x 2 is 33.75w per square foot and that's enough to grow bud. You probably could use that money on good seeds or ventilation or even save for your next round of upgrades.

Last edited:
MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
Okay lost of different posts out there about LEDs, but I trying to narrow down to a few proven options specific for this space. I have a Roleadro 600W white full spectrum. Its a cheap light but trying to go with what I can afford.

thanks all

PS. looking for something up to 200ish dollars.
Thanks for Charlie trust for Mars Hydro, TS1000 actual power is 150w, and the coverage is 2'x2' at bloom and 3'x3' at veg stage. So the TS1000 is a little not enough for 3'x3' flower, it totally enough for a 2'x2' growing space. @Waxwingz , you can order on the official website, the price is 130usd, don't forget to use discount code"THC", save some cash.
Growing under 2TS1000
Mars Hydro TS1000 IMG 0114

420charlie

420charlie

Thanks for Charlie trust for Mars Hydro, TS1000 actual power is 150w, and the coverage is 2'x2' at bloom and 3'x3' at veg stage. So the TS1000 is a little not enough for 3'x3' flower, it totally enough for a 2'x2' growing space. @Waxwingz , you can order on the official website, the price is 130usd, don't forget to use discount code"THC", save some cash.
Growing under 2TS1000
View attachment 958358
yeah I am happy with the light quality for sure! The light is great and I was aware of it being for flower in a 3x3 space but I figured I could make do.
the buds near the walls are lacking just a bit.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I would like to see an independent study comparing the Mars lights to LM301b or h based grow lights. I've heard too much about Mars lights burning out prematurely. If that is indeed true, it would be concerning. I'm not stuck on quantum boards, but for me to make a move to Mars, I would need to see that they are clearly better at a competitive price point.

I'd be interested in seeing that side by side comparison.

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
I would like to see an independent study comparing the Mars lights to LM301b or h based grow lights. I've heard too much about Mars lights burning out prematurely. If that is indeed true, it would be concerning. I'm not stuck on quantum boards, but for me to make a move to Mars, I would need to see that they are clearly better at a competitive price point.

I'd be interested in seeing that side by side comparison.
Many videos about HLG vs Mars Hydro, SF vs Mars Hydro on the youtube channel, hope can see the comparison here

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Many videos about HLG vs Mars Hydro, SF vs Mars Hydro on the youtube channel, hope can see the comparison here
I would only trust those if they were done independently. Otherwise the comparison could be filled with bias. It's just me, I am always skeptical until I see the claims meet my expectations. We should all be that way anyway .... It's part of CYA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom