Best deal for Split A/C unit?

• Thread starter generaldank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
generaldank

generaldank

Looking into a split a/c unit for my 10x10 room. Anyone know of any good deals?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Looking into a split a/c unit for my 10x10 room. Anyone know of any good deals?

Room size is not super important when sizing a/c for a grow. Amount of kw in lighting is most important and whether you vent he lights or not. So how much lighting? Try to avoid Chinese ductless mini splits. Have more problems out of the box.

MrSasquachh

MrSasquachh

Completely agree with CannabisJohn. The size of your A/C will be determined by the amount of lights, whether you're using an open or closed system and yeah the size of the room does come in to play. In most cases you could use a 12,000 BTU Mini-split with up to three (1,000 w) lights with a closed system.
I'm using 12,000 BTU Mini-splits in each of my rooms. Both are closed systems with a room size of 10'x12'. One room has three 1,000 W lights and I can drop the temp low as I want. The other room I'm running a similar A/C, closed system with four 1,000 W lights. This room I can get the temp down to 72 degrees but no lower, the A/C just can't handle it.
Another point CannabisJohn made was be VERY carefull about who makes the A/C. NEVER buy a Chines-made unit. My A/C guys are also growers and they see almost every Chinese-made unit fail and when they do the parts aren't covered under the warrantees given during purchase. Research, research and more research this before you buy.
When you do find the A/C that will work for you consider upgrading to the nexl level of BTUs. You'll find a 12,000 BTU sells for about $675 with the next level (14,000 BTU) selling for about $50 more and the next level another $50 and so on. You'll want to buy above what you need for efficency as well as considering your possibilities to expand later on.

Now get out there and grow somethin. :)

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Mitsubishi is the way to go but it will cost a little more than 675$ for 12,000 btus and if you live anywhere that you need a heater part of the time than consider a heat pump mini.4000 btus per 1k aircooled or 6000 for non aircooled lights.The higher the seer the more you pay but its more efficient and you save on electricity so you get it back quick.
It sucks we lost cannabis johns first A/C thread in the last site changeover but luckily we still have him,that thread answered every question you could possibly have,lol.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Mitsubishi is the way to go but it will cost a little more than 675$ for 12,000 btus and if you live anywhere that you need a heater part of the time than consider a heat pump mini.4000 btus per 1k aircooled or 6000 for non aircooled lights.The higher the seer the more you pay but its more efficient and you save on electricity so you get it back quick.
It sucks we lost cannabis johns first A/C thread in the last site changeover but luckily we still have him,that thread answered every question you could possibly have,lol.

Thank you and I agree 100% with your recommendation for equipment.

buddahslave

buddahslave

Room size is not super important when sizing a/c for a grow. Amount of kw in lighting is most important and whether you vent he lights or not. So how much lighting? Try to avoid Chinese ductless mini splits. Have more problems out of the box.
Is the Pioneer mini split on ebay made in china and is this a good unit?

MrSasquachh

MrSasquachh

Yea I'm not sure where they're made either. Suppose asking others that have mini splits and what they would recommend might be best.
Another thing (rather important) to bring into the mix is the SEER rating. This is the energy efficiency of the unit. The lowest allowed in the U.S. is 13 which means your electric bill will be much higher than a 16 or a 19 etc..
Here's a little sumthin sumthin I copied from a google search:
------------------------------------------------
Simply put, SEER stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio. The resulting number that is applied to an air conditioner is called it's SEER rating. The higher the SEER rating the more energy efficient a given air conditioner is. SEER is simply a formula that is described by the outcome of the following:
Divide the system's rated Btu's by it's stated SEER rating to determine how many watts it consumes per hour.
Here's the formula (we'll use a 3 ton, 15 SEER system for this comparison):
36,000 Btu's (3 tons) divided by 15 SEER = 2400
what does the outcome (2400) mean? This is simply the number of watts consumed each operating hour by the system.
------------------------------------------------
So the higher the SEER the more money you'll save on your electric bill.
Since I couldn't help with the USA-made question thought I'd distract you with this SEER info. :)

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Buy cheap buy often,for my money its mitsubishi every time.

buddahslave

buddahslave

Last time I checked Edison stole a billion dollars from southern california. There are players and chumps. Check the farm out next week on my way to Vegas!

montanamike1

montanamike1

I gotta recommend going to your grow shop, getting the name of a good HVAC guy they recommend, and having him come in to gauge your needs and install the proper unit.

Cost of Having Someone Else Purchase and Install Your Unit
$2-4k
The Ability to Have Someone Come Over To Fix The A/C When It Breaks
-Priceless

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I gotta recommend going to your grow shop, getting the name of a good HVAC guy they recommend, and having him come in to gauge your needs and install the proper unit.

Cost of Having Someone Else Purchase and Install Your Unit
$2-4k
The Ability to Have Someone Come Over To Fix The A/C When It Breaks
-Priceless

Amen. Be careful because some of my fellow HVAC techs are scum and over charge a lot. I am not cheap but reasonable. Beware of too cheap or too expensive.

I'm liking the seer rating on some of the fujitsu units. do they have pretty good reliability compared to the mitsu's?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I'm liking the seer rating on some of the fujitsu units. do they have pretty good reliability compared to the mitsu's?

Yes but do not buy it online. Fujitsu says on their website that they will not warranty it if bought online.
Also Mitsubisushi has just as high of seer ratings also. IMO the 2 of them are pretty equal.

Warrioreuel

Warrioreuel

Here is a site that I found, It may be useful. http://www.hvac-for-beginners.com/ductless-ac-ratings.html
I am leaning towards Carrier. The main reason is they have readily available information, specs and charts for running long lines. My install would be about 50 feet long lines. Some other units I have looked at are Napolean but it has just been too hard to dig up install info for longer lines. At least Carrier is commonly handled by most any local AC guy if I run into trouble. I can;t use the convenient pre-charged lines as they typically are for 25 feet only. I will have to have a guy come out and vacuum the system and add more freon. I will do the complete install right up to the point where the systems is evacuated and charged. In this way the guy never will come in my house.

Reebs

Reebs

I just bought a "YG" brand??? no clue who makes it but the compressor is a toshiba and everything works awsome and quiet, $730 for a 12K cool/heat/dehumid 15 Seer

got it off ebay from dude named "BreezZone"

Read the shipping details if your order one of these online, some places WONT ship to a residential address

Top Bottom