Best Diy Cob For Spacebucket Brute?

• Thread starter Steam29
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Steam29

So I was wondeeing if 1 cob would be enough or if I would need multiple, I already have everything I would need for the cob except the cob, I've seen people recommend cobs from 5 dollars to 30 dollars from Vero, Cree and others but what I'm looking for is just an easy simple cob that I won't be switching from seed to Veg to flowering. It's my first grow so I'm not expecting much.

BDGrows

BDGrows

3590 at 3500K and high CRI will do the job just fine

I agree on the chip, not the CRI. 80 CRI and some additional CFL's and you can make a monster of a space bucket.
https://www.rapidled.com/cree-cxb3590-3500k-80-cri/
If I were you, id gets the chip holder, as well as a predrilled passive heatsink. You shouldnt need that powerful of a driver due to it being only 1 chip (so you'll save money there). Post up the build when youre finished.

- BD

S

Steam29

I agree on the chip, not the CRI. 80 CRI and some additional CFL's and you can make a monster of a space bucket.
If I were you, id gets the chip holder, as well as a predrilled passive heatsink. You shouldnt need that powerful of a driver due to it being only 1 chip (so you'll save money there). Post up the build when youre finished.

- BD

Do you think it'd be possible to do it with just the Cree ? Or 2 ? Or do I need additional lighting ? This is my first build so I'd like to keep it pretty minimum if I can thanks for linking me too btw

S

Steam29

- BD

Also can you tell me the differences between the Cree and Vero ? I see people using the Vero alot and they are only 10 bucks compared to the Cree

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Also can you tell me the differences between the Cree and Vero ? I see people using the Vero alot and they are only 10 bucks compared to the Cree
Dude i checked the datasheets of all those leds, the spectrum is almost exactly same. As long as you go with cri80 or higher they all look ok, i think the only difference is the country of production, warranty, quality, efficacy and lifespan probably, meaning they will all grow fine plants but you may need to buy more of the cheaper ones. I am using an off brand cob right now and the spectrum seems legit, just try and find the datasheet of 3590 and compare it with the other cheaper ones. Of course you will be at the mercy of the company as spectrometers are pricey :)

Last edited:
S

Steam29

Dude i checked the datasheets of all those leds, the spectrum is almost exactly same. As long as you go with cri80 or higher they all look ok, i think the only difference is the country of production, warranty, quality, efficacy and lifespan probably, meaning they will all grow fine plants but you may need to buy more of the cheaper ones. I am using an off brand cob right now and the spectrum seems legit, just try and find the datasheet of 3590 and compare it with the other cheaper ones. Of course you will be at the mercy of the company as spectrometers are pricey :)

Thanks! I will probably do a Vero then to start out! Maybe 2 but does cri transfer over to all cobs ? My dad's got a bunch as he loves LEDs but idk if any are good for growing

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Thanks! I will probably do a Vero then to start out! Maybe 2 but does cri transfer over to all cobs ? My dad's got a bunch as he loves LEDs but idk if any are good for growing
This is only my personal opinion and i cannot guarantee anything also i am a newbie but look at the datasheet of those leds, if they are true full spectrum meaning not dedicated to a specific nm, then they all have the same spectrum give or take, what i usually see when i check datasheets is that cheaper ones usually have less red and less at 680nm, if my memory is correct there is a little spike at 680ish in 3590 and overall more red, but not by much. If you have the option yes i think cree is better for sure but the other ones will grow your plants too. Its all about budget and availability.
Every chip has differents cri values even in the same family, i mean cbx3590 3000K has two different value chips 80 and 90 cri (i think).

Last edited:
Top Bottom